Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Combine Always Looks EMPTY
I realize that we need scouts for the regular seasons to get all the small school guys and even guys at big schools that fly under the radar, but is it me or does the combine always look empty? How many people can teams really be sending?

It doesn't even really look like there's too many people on the field if you don't count the people running the drills and the players.

Is it just me or is there really not that many people there?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 04:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I realize that we need scouts for the regular seasons to get all the small school guys and even guys at big schools that fly under the radar, but is it me or does the combine always look empty?  How many people can teams really be sending?

It doesn't even really look like there's too many people on the field if you don't count the people running the drills and the players.

Is it just me or is there really not that many people there?

It'll always look that way in a 70,000 capacity stadium when teams are only sending a handful of people.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 05:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It'll always look that way in a 70,000 capacity stadium when teams are only sending a handful of people.

I considered that and it still looks way too empty.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 05:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I considered that and it still looks way too empty.

Attendance has grown over the last few years. A lot of people spread out and try not to sit together. Teams also have their own private boxes where a lot of the higher ups from each team sits. The coaches tend to scatter around with their buddies or huddle in concourses or meeting rooms with prospects. It's basically the NFL's version of a trade show. 

When you think about it if each team brought 30 people that is still only 960 people in a building that seats 70k beyond workers. Throw in 1k media members and another let's say 500 employees there really aren't that many people there.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget that what is happening on the field is just one part of what is happening every day. There are separate areas were teams can personally interview prospects, areas where prospects give mini press conferences, area for bench press and verticle, and there's a new group being weighed and measured today.

But still, you have a job fair for 300 men. If they didn't need to throw a ball or run on turf out of the weather, they would probably use a normal convention hall
Reply/Quote
Not as many people want to go watch grown men running around in their underwear, as the media might lead you to believe. Ninja

But seriously, most interested fans just watch on TV. Unless it was a friend or relative, or I had a role to be there, I wouldn't travel all the way to Indy to watch the combine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 05:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: Attendance has grown over the last few years. A lot of people spread out and try not to sit together. Teams also have their own private boxes where a lot of the higher ups from each team sits. The coaches tend to scatter around with their buddies or huddle in concourses or meeting rooms with prospects. It's basically the NFL's version of a trade show. 

When you think about it if each team brought 30 people that is still only 960 people in a building that seats 70k beyond workers. Throw in 1k media members and another let's say 500 employees there really aren't that many people there.
I guess I'm underestimating exactly how many people the stadium holds and how big the field actually is, and I considered boxes, but it just seems like, with 32 teams, if each team even had a few scouts on the field, if would look a lot more crowded.
(03-01-2019, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not as many people want to go watch grown men running around in their underwear, as the media might lead you to believe.   Ninja

But seriously, most interested fans just watch on TV.  Unless it was a friend or relative, or I had a role to be there, I wouldn't travel all the way to Indy to watch the combine.

[Image: Blank+_0d763a543027c1c2f727e456a158f85b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure that most of the team personnel are using suites. There are a few scouts/coaches that wander down to the seats.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 12:43 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm pretty sure that most of the team personnel are using suites.  There are a few scouts/coaches that wander down to the seats.

Doesn't make sense to me though because they could probably just as easy watch from their own stadiums and actually get better views on TV (I realize there's also TVs in the suites).  

I guess they have to be there for all the interviews and official things like possibly talking to other teams (if that's even allowed).
Reply/Quote