Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Fear Feels Like it Will Become A Reality
Bengals win today against a hot Buffalo team. Which is great......but.....

My biggest fear is this team does justtttt well enough this season to renew Marvin's contract, but not well enough to go anywhere in the playoffs, resulting in Marvin hanging around again with another contract extension.

Look at what a difference a new OC made so quickly on this team, imagine the same with a new coach? Of course you can. In any case, I'll just stick with my usual Marvin Lewis M.O.... enjoy the wins and the moment and don't expect much more from the guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:54 PM)GodFather Wrote: Bengals win today against a hot Buffalo team. Which is great......but.....

My biggest fear is this team does justtttt well enough this season to renew Marvin's contract, but not well enough to go anywhere in the playoffs, resulting in Marvin hanging around again with another contract extension.

Look at what a difference a new OC made so quickly on this team, imagine the same with a new coach? Of course you can. In any case, I'll just stick with my usual Marvin Lewis M.O.... enjoy the wins and the moment and don't expect much more from the guy.

Where else does winning have such a downside?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I fear we'll make the playoffs too,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When it's Monday morning, after yet another loss, and you're blowing off steam, it's understandable to want losses to force Mike to make a change at HC. I get that. I've felt that way myself on one or two occasions. It's logical. But in the heat of the game, when live bullets are flying, I'm going to cheer for this team to win. I can't sit at home, let alone a game, and cheer for a loss during a game. Even if it means we finish 8-8 and Mike thinks that justifies another year of Marvin, I'll want this 7-8 team to win right down to the final gun.

But, I get it. Mike needs an excuse to keep the status quo, and a mediocre season justifies. The old fart will never change.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 07:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I fear we'll make the playoffs too,

This....

Thanks Jacksonville defense.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:54 PM)GodFather Wrote: Bengals win today against a hot Buffalo team. Which is great......but.....

Well... you could do us all a favor and cut the brake lines on Marvin's ride if they make the playoffs.

[Image: th?id=OIP.1_6VN49ihXVnBv1nTwRRqgEsDF&pid...=234&h=154]

At least you'd get to watch a playoff win or more from behind bars...  that is, unless your huge cellmate is a Steelers fan.

If that were the case, a Bengals game would be the least of your worries!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We've been playing some dinged up teams. GB missing 6 starters. The Bills with their Top WR and TE out. Of course we had 3 defensive backs and Eifert out.

Crazy how many injuries in the NFL this year.

There is a real chance that Marvin is retained.
Reply/Quote
All i know is that I'm actually really pumped for the Pittsburgh game in 2 weeks. Couldn't say that 8 days ago. Nice to still be invested in the season after an 0-3 start
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 07:31 PM)Brimey Wrote: All i know is that I'm actually really pumped for the Pittsburgh game in 2 weeks. Couldn't say that 8 days ago. Nice to still be invested in the season after an 0-3 start

Pittsburgh is very beatable. Roethlisberger made some very questionable interceptions.

Jalen Ramsey for the Jaguars looks awesome!
Reply/Quote
Goes back to the age old discussion, Do you want another one and done season or do you want a new Head Coach.

Because of all the possible outcomes of this season, those two options encapsulate 99% of the possible outcomes.
Reply/Quote
This team reminds me of the "15" Broncos for some reason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

I completely understand, and everyone knows what’s up, 15 seasons of giggles have proven that!

It is why Marvin should not be given an extension unless this team goes on a playoff run this year! If he is offered an extension without this happening he should resign!
Reply/Quote
I'm still trying to figure out how a 4 win season or a one and done playoff season negates a Marvin extension. We have seen both, there is no rhyme or reason to what Mikey will actually do.
Reply/Quote

His name is Mike Brown.  It is what it is.  Do not be afraid.  It's the Brown family!!
Reply/Quote
Marvin will not be back unless the team wins a playoff game
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:35 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Marvin will not be back unless the team wins a playoff game

I beg to differ mike brown would let greg hardy play if he would of been drafted by the bengals. If Marvin goes 7-9 to 8-8 they will give him another year just so he can do the same next yr and then get canned. Mike brown hates change.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:58 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I beg to differ mike brown would let greg hardy play if he would of been drafted by the bengals. If Marvin goes 7-9 to 8-8 they will give him another year just so he can do the same next yr and then get canned. Mike brown hates change.

Agreed, Mike certainly does hate change and is loyal to a fault. But even Mike has his limits. 

Believe it or not, he does want to win. And I believe he's finally starting to see the writing on the wall with Marv. The evidence is there: not giving Marv his yearly extension, blaming coaches and not players for the early struggles... 

Mike had very high hopes for this 50th anniversary season. He expects this to be the year we get over that playoff hump. If that doesn't happen, Marv is out. 
Reply/Quote

It's my fear too. I feel so conflicted. I can't root for the Bengals to lose, but I worry that with each win, the chances that Marv is offered an extension increase. 

I will say this, if we somehow win 10-13 games (not saying it's likely) AND go to at least the AFCCG, I may - MAY - be open to giving Marv a very small extension.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Marvin's future likely isn't dependent on the team's success. At least it hasn't been in the past where his most noteworthy accomplishment is averaging slightly better than .500.

If we make it into the postseason, great. If we win one, even better. Don't worry so much about Marvin because his future never hangs on how well the team does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 02:29 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Agreed, Mike certainly does hate change and is loyal to a fault. But even Mike has his limits. 

Believe it or not, he does want to win. And I believe he's finally starting to see the writing on the wall with Marv. The evidence is there: not giving Marv his yearly extension, blaming coaches and not players for the early struggles... 

Mike had very high hopes for this 50th anniversary season. He expects this to be the year we get over that playoff hump. If that doesn't happen, Marv is out. 

EVERY owner in the NFL wants to win. Now some align their resources more towards winning than others.

Marvin reached the end of his contract before and didn't win a playoff game and was retained so not getting an extension isn't really evidence either way.

Going 0-7 in the playoffs and being retained. How many NFL teams would that happen at?
Reply/Quote