Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Mock
After all the moves in FA on the Defence, I went all in on the Offence.

I think a big need for us this year will be TE so I picked 2. Also with Mixon coming into his contract year I also see us taking a RB, maybe not as high as the second but I really like Swift and couldn't pass on him.

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

33 - D'Andre Swift, RB - Georgia

65 - Prince Tega Wanogho, OT - Auburn

107 - Ben Bartch, OT - St. John

147 - Cheyenne O'Grady, TE - Arkansas

180 - Colby Parkinson, TE - Stanford

215 - Jauan Jennings, WR - Tennessee
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:04 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: After all the moves in FA on the Defence, I went all in on the Offence.

I think a big need for us this year will be TE so I picked 2. Also with Mixon coming into his contract year I also see us taking a RB, maybe not as high as the second but I really like Swift and couldn't pass on him.

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

This needs to be in the Mock Draft forum, not Jungle Noise.

As for the mock itself, unfortunately I'd be frustrated if it went like this.

I don't think a RB should be drafted until Rd 5 minimum.

I see the logic in taking Wanogho due to his traits, but he's so incredibly raw that I worry he won't pan out.

I see WR as a higher priority than TE. The Bengals gave good pay to Uzomah and also just drafted Sample with a 2nd round pick last year. Given how little TE is emphasized in the passing game, I don't think they keep more than 3 on the roster and I think any drafted TE will be sitting 3rd on the depth chart. Not worth investing two picks there right now IMO.

Last, I really would have liked to see a LB, as Bynes and Bell will not solve the Bengals' glaring need for a good starting LB. I expect (or at least hope) they select a good one on Day 2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we take a RB in the 2nd and no LBers whatsoever it would be ugly around here...

Reply/Quote
We are not drafting an RB at #33 even with Mixon in a contract year. That position is easy to draft a rookie for besides we already have Anderson and Williams. And the odds are very slim we go with 2 TEs even as a perceived need area. They were happy with Sample's trajectory before he got hurt. Yes we went heavy with the defense during free agency but right now we only have one 4 down LB on the roster so I have a hard time thinking they don't try to address that in the draft.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:04 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: After all the moves in FA on the Defence, I went all in on the Offence.

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

I just lost all respect for this Mock draft once I saw RB at #33 and no linebackers or even a single pick on defense. If this draft happened you would see a lot of pissed off people around here. We still need at least 1 lb in rounds 2-4 and I prefer rd 2 if Queen, Murray, or Baun are still there. I would also take Harrison, Dye, Gay, or Akeem-Gaithers in rd 3.
We just drafted 2 Rbs last year who both could be good if they stay healthy. Also picking 2 TEs before picking WR in the last round would be a mistake. AJ is most likely gone next year and we should draft someone now to start grooming. 
I have no problem with drafting a couple OL but god help us if this ended up being our draft.
Reply/Quote
Lmao no. Just no.
Reply/Quote
is this the throw darts at a board mock?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

I've got a few questions to ask you. 

Why do you think the Bengals would double up on 2 positions? We can definitely use an OT and a TE, particularly since we we only have 2 TEs on the team right now, but 2 TE's? Do you think we're going to go into the season with 4 TEs or 3 and 1 on the Practice squad?

We need an upgrade at RT, and Prince would fit that bill in time, but why Ben Bartch also? I don't think we need this many drafted OTs when we might be able to find good talent in another position here, don't you?

D'andre Smith in the 2nd? Where does he fit in? Giovanni Bernard, Joe Mixon and Trayveon Williams are already on the team, and Joe wants to stay in Cincy, and we won't have to break the bank to keep him if you've seen the type of deals other RBs have signed this year, he won't cost THAT much that we'd have to draft his replacement. 

Lou still needs at least another LB. We only have like 3 on our roster. We do need another or else there could be defenses of 3 down lineman and 8 corners or something. 

I'm not trying to bash or anything, I think if the Bengals did very little in FA this draft could be close to accurate, but I think the Bengals are going to try to give Lou at least one more piece, and give Joe a couple more weapons to throw to since he thrives in 5 WR sets.
Reply/Quote

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

While your mock may have a few fundamental flaws, I applaud your effort for giving it a go.  Despite some of the negative commentary, I think that you should keep trying your hand at mock drafts.  I would suggest using the The Draft Network's Mock Draft Machine, as well as using Google to research draft picks that you find interesting by entering their name, followed by scouting report.  If there, select the link from the NFL that says "Draft and Combine Profile", as it will provide the absolute best report.

Like I said previously, not a terrible mock, but keep at it.  You'll learn the ins and outs quickly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

1 - Joe Burrow, QB - LSU

I'm in the minority, but I dig the Swift pick.  At #33, we need to get a 1st round talent, and Swift is definitely that.  He's also a true 3 down back, while Joe is really more of a 2 down player that is somewhat pedestrian as a receiver.  Gio can't carry the load if Mixon goes down, Williams didn't get a single touch on offense last year, and Anderson makes Ross look like an iron man.  With a rookie QB, the position needs stabilised and it would be a huge mistake to give a big money extension to a RB that isn't a big time receiving threat.

I think back to back mid round T's is a bit of overkill.  I think Prince and Bartch are good developmental prospects, but neither is going to beat out Hart in year one.  Fred Johnson showed promise last year, so unless we're keeping 5 T's, we're cutting a young guy with upside.  Similarly, I don't see both O'Grady and Parkinson making the roster.

I'm not too hung up on not taking a LB.  It's not ideal, but there are always vet LB's you can sign on the cheap for depth.  However, based strictly on the current depth chart, you can see 2 LB's paying off more than a 2nd T and a 2nd TE.  If you're not grabbing a LB at some point, I think the picks need to be "OMG, I can't believe he's still there" type value picks.

In this class, I think you really have to go WR on Day 2 or double dip on Day 3.  AJ and Ross are injury prone and in contract years, Tate is limited within the offense and also injury prone, and Boyd is a good #2, but no #1.  As stacked as this class is, it would be good to find Burrow his Chad/AJ.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While your mock may have a few fundamental flaws, I applaud your effort for giving it a go.  Despite some of the negative commentary, I think that you should keep trying your hand at mock drafts.  I would suggest using the The Draft Network's Mock Draft Machine, as well as using Google to research draft picks that you find interesting by entering their name, followed by scouting report.  If there, select the link from the NFL that says "Draft and Combine Profile", as it will provide the absolute best report.

Like I said previously, not a terrible mock, but keep at it.  You'll learn the ins and outs quickly.

Thanks for your advise,
I seemed to have upset a few people on here by not picking any linebackers lol but I went purely with Offensive picks due to the FA signings being mostly Defence.
I will have another go at it after I do some research
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 12:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: I'm in the minority, but I dig the Swift pick.  At #33, we need to get a 1st round talent, and Swift is definitely that.  He's also a true 3 down back, while Joe is really more of a 2 down player that is somewhat pedestrian as a receiver.  Gio can't carry the load if Mixon goes down, Williams didn't get a single touch on offense last year, and Anderson makes Ross look like an iron man.  With a rookie QB, the position needs stabilised and it would be a huge mistake to give a big money extension to a RB that isn't a big time receiving threat.

I think back to back mid round T's is a bit of overkill.  I think Prince and Bartch are good developmental prospects, but neither is going to beat out Hart in year one.  Fred Johnson showed promise last year, so unless we're keeping 5 T's, we're cutting a young guy with upside.  Similarly, I don't see both O'Grady and Parkinson making the roster.

I'm not too hung up on not taking a LB.  It's not ideal, but there are always vet LB's you can sign on the cheap for depth.  However, based strictly on the current depth chart, you can see 2 LB's paying off more than a 2nd T and a 2nd TE.  If you're not grabbing a LB at some point, I think the picks need to be "OMG, I can't believe he's still there" type value picks.

In this class, I think you really have to go WR on Day 2 or double dip on Day 3.  AJ and Ross are injury prone and in contract years, Tate is limited within the offense and also injury prone, and Boyd is a good #2, but no #1.  As stacked as this class is, it would be good to find Burrow his Chad/AJ.

I really went with Swift as I mentioned I really like him and because with the analysts talk of the RB market falling through the floor and them not getting payed what they are looking for, I think we might lose Joe next year.
I also went with the 2 TE's because the only 1 of the 4 we currently have doing anything is CJ and maybe Carter (if he comes back)
I agree with you on the LB situation, We can wait until other teams cut a vet LB or 2 later.
But as I also said I only used all the picks on the Offence due to our FA signings so far 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 09:14 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I really went with Swift as I mentioned I really like him and because with the analysts talk of the RB market falling through the floor and them not getting payed what they are looking for, I think we might lose Joe next year.
I also went with the 2 TE's because the only 1 of the 4 we currently have doing anything is CJ and maybe Carter (if he comes back)
I agree with you on the LB situation, We can wait until other teams cut a vet LB or 2 later.
But as I also said I only used all the picks on the Offence due to our FA signings so far 

The thing with RBs is that they are relatively easy to replace, save for the few, exceptional great ones.  Throughout history, the Bengals have never demonstrated any problems in drafting a RB that instantly produced, when they needed one.  In fact, I really wish they were as adept at finding LBs and OL, as they are at picking RBs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 12:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: I'm in the minority, but I dig the Swift pick.  At #33, we need to get a 1st round talent, and Swift is definitely that.  He's also a true 3 down back, while Joe is really more of a 2 down player that is somewhat pedestrian as a receiver.  Gio can't carry the load if Mixon goes down, Williams didn't get a single touch on offense last year, and Anderson makes Ross look like an iron man.  With a rookie QB, the position needs stabilised and it would be a huge mistake to give a big money extension to a RB that isn't a big time receiving threat.

You lost me at Mixon is pedestrian as a receiver. Go watch some college tape on his receiving skills. The Bengals haven't taken advantage of how good he can be in the passing game, mostly because he has needed to stay in for protection to help a bad offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
If Swift is there at 33, I would not be at all shocked to see him picked. Mixon may very well be franchised and then allowed to leave instead of extended. It's a new world for RB's. And if Mixon is extended, it could mean the end for Gio.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:44 PM)McC Wrote: If Swift is there at 33, I would not be at all shocked to see him picked.  Mixon may very well be franchised and then allowed to leave instead of extended.  It's a new world for RB's.  And if Mixon is extended, it could mean the end for Gio.

Running back at 33 is a luxury pick this team simply can't afford unless there is no LB or OL worthy of that pick, and even then I'd go WR over RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:36 PM)Fullrock Wrote:  You lost me at Mixon is pedestrian as a receiver. Go watch some college tape on his receiving skills. The Bengals haven't taken advantage of how good he can be in the passing game, mostly because he has needed to stay in for protection to help a bad offensive line. 

It's been like 4 years since he played in college and he's not playing against joke Big 12 defenses anymore.  He doesn't put up receiving numbers because they put in Gio in obvious passing situations and the 2 minute drill because he's better at those aspects of the game than Joe.  He's not terrible as a receiver, but he's no McCafferty, Barkley, Kamara, etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Running back at 33 is a luxury pick this team simply can't afford unless there is no LB or OL worthy of that pick, and even then I'd go WR over RB.

It does pay to stay young at the RB position.  Energetic, durable, lower cost allows more to spend at higher dollar positions.  If the team were looking to fill that RB2 spot, I could see them taking a RB early, and possibly moving Gio Bernard.  As much as I like Gio Bernard, that's a lot of money to have wrapped up in a guy that can't handle the load of being your featured back.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Running back at 33 is a luxury pick this team simply can't afford unless there is no LB or OL worthy of that pick, and even then I'd go WR over RB.

I'm not predicting it, just saying don't be surprised if it happens.  This staff has shown that it has a distinct plan and outside of the first pick, any other choice might very well be made for the long term and not necessarily for the right now.  What you really want is really good players and Swift is a really good player.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It does pay to stay young at the RB position.  Energetic, durable, lower cost allows more to spend at higher dollar positions.  If the team were looking to fill that RB2 spot, I could see them taking a RB early, and possibly moving Gio Bernard.  As much as I like Gio Bernard, that's a lot of money to have wrapped up in a guy that can't handle the load of being your featured back.

Who's more energetic than Mixon on this team? You realize he's only 23 years old, right? If the Bengals didn't have other, more pressing needs to fill then maybe they select a Swift at 33, but they simply have to address other needs as long as what is available has pick 33 value. Drafting a guy at 33 to replace your #2 back is a luxury pick for this year. This team needs pick 33 to be a starter immediately. 
Reply/Quote