Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Luck In Poker Is HORRIBLE Lately......
I was on a roll in this Facebook poker group until recently. I would have people dominated and they'd catch runner-runner or hit crazy odds.

Tonight, I'm one under the gun and I get dealt pocket aces. Usually, I'd raise to get the card chasers out but, tonight, I just make a smooth call.

Keep in mind that I'm up $200 from my $340 buy-in.

Three people fold and then this guy that I know is pretty good raises a decent amount. One guy behind him calls and the rest of the table folds. The first guy's a bit of loose cannon so I'm just thinking "ok, I'll push so neither of them can call since I'm out of position."

I push, the loose cannon calls and the other guy folds.

The caller turns over ace queen unsuited, so I'm thinking "money in the bank and I'm going to be up a lot!"

He either flops a straight or hits it on the turn.

I was PISSED.

I've been taking lots of bad beats lately.

Sorry but just had to vent a bit.

Anyone else have any bad beat stories lately?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 01:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was on a roll in this Facebook poker group until recently. I would have people dominated and they'd catch runner-runner or hit crazy odds.

Tonight, I'm one under the gun and I get dealt pocket aces. Usually, I'd raise to get the card chasers out but, tonight, I just make a smooth call.

Keep in mind that I'm up $200 from my $340 buy-in.

Three people fold and then this guy that I know is pretty good raises a decent amount. One guy behind him calls and the rest of the table folds. The first guy's a bit of loose cannon so I'm just thinking "ok, I'll push so neither of them can call since I'm out of position."

I push, the loose cannon calls and the other guy folds.

The caller turns over ace queen unsuited, so I'm thinking "money in the bank and I'm going to be up a lot!"

He either flops a straight or hits it on the turn.

I was PISSED.

I've been taking lots of bad beats lately.

Sorry but just had to vent a bit.

Anyone else have any bad beat stories lately?

Do yourself a favor and don't play on Pokerstars. Lets just say there's a reason it's also known as Jokerstars.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 03:16 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Do yourself a favor and don't play on Pokerstars. Lets just say there's a reason it's also known as Jokerstars.

lol I don't.

I'm just in a few Facebook groups and we cash out through PayPal, Venmo, or any other app.

The app we use does throw out the occasional bullshit hand like the one I described, but it's usually not bad.

PartyPoker was a huge joke.

Straight cash games weren't that bad but sit-n-goes and double ups were horrible. It was a flush or full house every other hand. I haven't played on there since college.
Reply/Quote
Gambling is of the devil.
[Image: 16113699.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 07:33 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Gambling is of the devil.
[Image: 16113699.jpg]

[Image: fea8813c-2a49-4da2-a765-adb1385cd157_text.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 09:20 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: fea8813c-2a49-4da2-a765-adb1385cd157_text.gif]

Lmao
[Image: izMJtm.gif]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't worry Brad. I seem to remember a recent thread where you were saying how well you were doing. This is just the way "luck" works. With cards it is completely random. If you play long enough it all evens out in the end.

I realize there is a lot of skill involved in the betting part of the game. But the draw of the cards is just random and there is nothing you can do about that.
Reply/Quote
The best poker players in the world win like 5% of the hands they're dealt and I'm not even sure it's that high.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't worry Brad.  I seem to remember a recent thread where you were saying how well you were doing.  This is just the way "luck" works.  With cards it is completely random.  If you play long enough it all evens out in the end.

I realize there is a lot of skill involved in the betting part of the game.  But the draw of the cards is just random and there is nothing you can do about that.

Right. It is all about recognizing the odds of getting the hand you are drawing for, and what the odds the other players are getting their cards.. I used to love, and I mean love, to host poker games at my apartment when I was a young single cop. We played weekly. Of course, back then we played Stud poker or Draw Poker. (My favorite) I pretty much quit playing when the Texas Hold 'em came along. I don't like playing it, it takes too much concentration and I like to joke around and have fun during games. 
Reply/Quote
I was in a tourney in our group today (free roll from playing so much) and it was only 2k total prize pool guaranteed but, since it was a free roll, it's not bad.

We got down to four people (top five cashed) and I was fourth in chips after a bad beat but I get dealt AQ suited, so obvious push, right?

I push and dude calls me with A2, so I get excited and know I'm going to double up and be near the chip leaders.

Flop comes blank and so does the turn, but then dude rivers a 2 to win.

Sick

Bang Head

They chopped with three left.

I still made $200 and the chop was only $400 or $500 each but it just goes to show how bad my luck is.
Reply/Quote
You're better off betting on who will have to piss first in bars when you go out with friends..  Mellow
Back in my bar hopping days my best friend was the strongest human being I've ever known.. I made a bunch betting guys they could beat him arm wrestling..It was always a setup since it was a rigged game..I never put a dime up, but always collected.  Smirk
Best gambling advice I've ever gotten is don't gamble on anything unless you already know what the outcome is..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Always play suited pairs.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 12:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: You're better off betting on who will have to piss first in bars when you go out with friends..  Mellow
Back in my bar hopping days my best friend was the strongest human being I've ever known.. I made a bunch betting guys they could beat him arm wrestling..It was always a setup since it was a rigged game..I never put a dime up, but always collected.  Smirk
Best gambling advice I've ever gotten is don't gamble on anything unless you already know what the outcome is..

I have a HUGE bladder but pushing it too far and holding it too long has gotten me in trouble a few times and I ended up in the ER with a tube shoved up my penis ThumbsUp

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 12:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Best gambling advice I've ever gotten is don't gamble on anything unless you already know what the outcome is..

This.

My dad told me "Never take another man's bet".  No matter how crazy it may sound, if it is his idea to bet on it then he probably knows he will win.
Reply/Quote
Brad, you gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em.

I’m surprised it took this long.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Brad, you gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em.

I’m surprised it took this long.

was coming here just for this
Reply/Quote
The term four flusher for some reason comes to
mind..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 11:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. It is all about recognizing the odds of getting the hand you are drawing for, and what the odds the other players are getting their cards.. I used to love, and I mean love, to host poker games at my apartment when I was a young single cop. We played weekly. Of course, back then we played Stud poker or Draw Poker. (My favorite) I pretty much quit playing when the Texas Hold 'em came along. I don't like playing it, it takes too much concentration and I like to joke around and have fun during games. 

aFUCKINmen brother.  Poker games used to be fun.  In college, about 6-8 of us would play after a night of delivering pizza and beer.  Someone would go home with 75% of everyone's tips that night, a huge take in those days for poor college kids.  But we were getting hammed up having fun until 5 AM.

I go to vegas pretty regularly for work.  When I see these poor saps head into those hold 'em rooms to waste away their entire weekend and buy in....  It's amazing how the marketing of poker turned it into the dullest possible experience. 

I throw bones now.  Easier to get a random person up to speed, can play with drinks in ya and still offers the opportunity to get lippy with others.
Reply/Quote
Maybe you should try switching from playing poker to hunting Pokemons for a while?? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Happened again today.

I was presenting all morning at a high school up in Cincinnati and then came home and took a nap because I had to be up at 6 to get ready to get all the way up there for the first class.

I wake up, pick up my phone, and get in on a cash game in this poker group.

I'm playing pretty well and I'm up a little over $300, which I wanted to get out but I had only played 60 hands or so and they get mad if you "hit and run" by just winning a few big pots and then leaving.

I get dealt pocket 3s on the button and everyone else around the table calls, so I just call thinking that I don't want to inflate the pot before we see the flop because so many players were in that (1) I didn't want to get raised off of it, (2) there was a lot of money at the table so these guys weren't folding to small raises, and (3) they were all pretty loose players anyways, so I figured no one would fold.

The flop comes 3h, Ac, 6c, so I'm thinking "perfect," because someone would have raised with pocket aces or pocket 6s.

Dude bets 8, so I make a smooth call, and then the turn comes another 6, giving me a full boat, which he checks and so do I because I'm going to trap him on the river.

He bets 10 and then I raise to 38 and then he raises to 110, which I can't fold a boat at this point with the pot odds, so I call and he turns over ace 6 for a bigger boat............

WTF

Lost over $140 there but battled back and still left up $213.

Oh well. Not a bad day but could have been bigger. Not a whole lot I can do with that hand.
Reply/Quote