Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Problem With Caitlyn Jenner Posing Nude For SI
(05-06-2016, 01:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gross.   Where is the vomit emoji?  

I will provide, free of charge, the same advice I gave Brad:  Don't buy the magazine and don't look at it.

And I will add that sometimes women want to see men's bodies too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-06-2016, 01:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gross.   Where is the vomit emoji?  

Meh, I'd tell you to mellow out but you might be one of those people who thinks you can "choose" to find men sexually attractive so I can see why you'd be a bit freaked out that pictures of naked men exist.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If you have a problem with it just don't watch it !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(05-06-2016, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Like I just said, if we're talking about Jenner's athletic achievements, then I won't argue the point. I personally don't put much stock into sports figures as heroes, but I understand the sentiment.

I'm speaking from the thought that she's a hero for being a trans.

One of the reasons why she isn't seen as a hero by many trans people is because of that money aspect you pointed out. Is it hard when you're under a lot of scrutiny? Yes. There was speculation long before she transitioned publicly. At the same time, she has had it a lot easier than most people because of the money aspect. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-06-2016, 12:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pretty sure she was seen as a hero for decades for her athletic achievements and philanthropy. I think some don't see her anymore as one because of her transition. 

I can say that she isn't seen as a hero for her transitioning by many in the trans community, but I don't think anyone can take away decades of achievements simply because she's trans.

(05-06-2016, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Like I just said, if we're talking about Jenner's athletic achievements, then I won't argue the point. I personally don't put much stock into sports figures as heroes, but I understand the sentiment.

I'm speaking from the thought that she's a hero for being a trans.

Here's my problem with her being considered a hero for being public with her transition: she's rich (net worth in excess of $100 million) and that income is expected to multiply at least a few times during the course of this.

I agree with some that it puts more pressure on her because she's famous, but at the same time, it takes off so much. That kind of money buys you a lot of separation between your problems and the real world. A normal person going through that doesn't have the same luxury.

Anecdotal story: A coworker of a relative was transgender. She was married to a guy. They'd been together several years. Before she left that place of employment, she talked about how she had to continually change jobs because within a year or less, it always came out that she had been born a man. Sometimes places were cool with it, sometimes they acted like PnR posters.

She faced insults, odd looks and harassment on a daily basis. Jenner does, too, but he can turn off the television or unplug his Twitter feed and be done with it. She doesn't have to get up on a Monday and know she's walking into a smart ass comment, but doesn't have a choice because she's got a car payment to make.

The other part of that, Jenner is accepting money for speaking engagements, the tv series (that alone was $5-6 million which more than covered the cost of surgery), etc. I can't call anyone a hero when they're making significant money off of it. Cops, soldiers, firefighters, nurses, teachers — those people sacrifice not just their safety and time, they also give up their chance to have a big bank account.
Caitlyn is not a hero because of the hardship she suffered. She is more of an icon than a hero. She gets credit for being a huge public symbol that all transgenders everywhere can point to and say "Look. Great, successful people can be transgenders. We are not all mentally ill losers."

All the average everyday transgender people who have to work every day could not accomplish what Caitlyn did. That is why she gets so much credit and recognition.

You can argue about what the word "hero" means. But to a lot of transgender people she is the greatest thing that has happened for them.
Who's the real "Hero"

Jenner or the farm boy from rural Tennessee who when turned 18 went through what Jenner did and stayed on the farm to help his family?

I don't know what it's called to go from a man/woman to a woman/man or whatever Jenner did.

As for the question on if Jenner is a hero, I say no but deffinately that boy from Tennessee is.

As to this SI cover? Who cares. SI is only doing this to increase circulation and Jenner is doing it to bring awareness. By the way, I haven't seen a SI since 1984 when my subscription ran out from Publishers Clearinghouse or was it a magazine drive from one of my cousins schools? It don't matter, it's been a while.
Of course Jenner is going to support using facilities that you identify with to include showers; she is attracted to women.

As to the cover: I could care less. SI and Jenner are free to do whatever they want. I must say I haven't looked at an SI in about 15 years; outside of the dentist's office. I doubt this one will break my streak.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-06-2016, 10:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course Jenner is going to support using facilities that you identify with to include showers; she is attracted to women.

As to the cover: I could care less. SI and Jenner are free to do whatever they want. I must say I haven't looked at an SI in about 15 years; outside of the dentist's office. I doubt this one will break my streak.

Depends on how frisky your dentist is with his waiting room reading material.
(05-06-2016, 10:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course Jenner is going to support using facilities that you identify with to include showers; she is attracted to women.

The ladies won't like Bruce Jenner having a pee on the seat.  
The big question is...... do you think he will tuck the hog, or let it bulge against Old Glory ?
(05-06-2016, 03:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Here's my problem with her being considered a hero for being public with her transition: she's rich (net worth in excess of $100 million) and that income is expected to multiply at least a few times during the course of this.

I agree with some that it puts more pressure on her because she's famous, but at the same time, it takes off so much. That kind of money buys you a lot of separation between your problems and the real world. A normal person going through that doesn't have the same luxury.

Anecdotal story: A coworker of a relative was transgender. She was married to a guy. They'd been together several years. Before she left that place of employment, she talked about how she had to continually change jobs because within a year or less, it always came out that she had been born a man. Sometimes places were cool with it, sometimes they acted like PnR posters.

She faced insults, odd looks and harassment on a daily basis. Jenner does, too, but he can turn off the television or unplug his Twitter feed and be done with it. She doesn't have to get up on a Monday and know she's walking into a smart ass comment, but doesn't have a choice because she's got a car payment to make.

The other part of that, Jenner is accepting money for speaking engagements, the tv series (that alone was $5-6 million which more than covered the cost of surgery), etc. I can't call anyone a hero when they're making significant money off of it. Cops, soldiers, firefighters, nurses, teachers — those people sacrifice not just their safety and time, they also give up their chance to have a big bank account.

Agreed. She has had a lot of resources that many do not. Like I said, there's a reason why many in the trans community aren't proclaiming her a hero and are often insulted by the notion that she is a leader or face of the group. 

I see why many considered her a hero in the 70's and 80's. Is she courageous? Certainly. More so than others who have transitioned or done other things that are considered courageous? Of course not. 

Does this issue even matter? Hell no. I'm not sure why anyone is upset that SI is putting a former athlete on their cover with that athlete's accolades on display. Now feel free to make "on display" jokes. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-07-2016, 07:56 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: The big question is...... do you think he will tuck the hog, or let it bulge against Old Glory ?

I am thinking a buffalo bill style tuck job.  
(05-07-2016, 07:56 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: The big question is...... do you think he will tuck the hog, or let it bulge against Old Glory ?

She's a Drumpf supporter so probably rubs it all over the flag.
(05-07-2016, 04:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: She's a Drumpf supporter so probably rubs it all over the flag.

Fantastically well played !

ThumbsUp
(05-06-2016, 09:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yuck.

LOL.  That's my problem too.  Nobody wants to see that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(05-08-2016, 10:25 AM)McC Wrote: LOL.  That's my problem too.  Nobody wants to see that.

Well, there's three people who don't have to buy it...  Smirk

I thought the hog was gone.  A former outie now an innie
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

(05-08-2016, 10:39 AM)McC Wrote: I thought the hog was gone.  A former outie now an innie

For some reason, I didn't think it had taken place yet.
It's not something I really follow, so I very well could be wrong.
(05-08-2016, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well, there's three people who don't have to buy it...  Smirk

How many 66 year olds, male, female or other, does anyone want to see naked?   I feel bad for the flag.