Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My So-Called Life Without Penei
I’m a card-carrying member of Team Penei but understand that we may look elsewhere on April 29. With that in mind, I wanted to see if I could salvage a draft that didn’t include him. I used PFN and kept it to one trade max just to be realistic. (I find the simulators a bit too generous sometimes. Tongue)

The Bengals are on the clock!

TRADE #5 to Washington = #19, #51 and 2022 R1.

19: Teven Jenkins
OT, Oklahoma State

I love Teven Jenkins, man. Less for football than intangible reasons. Yes he’s violent, but I think that’ll ease once he makes it to the pros and starts playing against grown men. I’m more drawn to his interview maturity and general acumen. He’s a low-maintenance born leader that carries a really high floor, and I think our line could use that kind of stabilizing force. In fact, I rate Jenkins above Slater and Darrisaw primarily for that reason. He can also play inside and outside, has great timing and tested really well. Reminds me of Whit, to be honest.

38: Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR, LSU

Marshall’s been my preferred LSU wideout for months, which is another reason why I don’t want to pick Chase at #5. If Marshall didn’t play in the shadow of Chase and Jefferson in 2019, we might well be talking about him in the Top 5. He can run like a deer, has excellent hands (despite the occasional drop) and NFL size. What’s more, he’s already proven a willingness to defer to other targets in the name of the team, which he'll probably need to do with us. He’s also analytics-friendly. I mean, Chase is being lionized for his 9.9 RAS the other day (27th highest ever) and, while it was impressive, Marshall scored even higher (9.94 - 15th). I’m still dreaming of this outcome, and the draft mocks will at least keep said dream alive for a few more weeks.

51: Ronnie Perkins
EDGE, Oklahoma

Big fan of Perkins too. He might not have the ideal measurements for an NFL edge, but he’s explosive and I love his attitude and relentless pursuit. I can see him on a team like the Ravens for the next decade. He has a lot to learn as a run-stuffer imo but he’s a college kid, man. Nobody’s perfect. If we can pick him up with our second-rounder (or in this case, our second second-rounder) I do it in a heartbeat.

69: Jevon Holland
DB, Oregon

I wasn’t planning to go DB but Holland’s value here is too much to pass up. Ball hawk who can run like the wind with shutdown potential. I don’t know if he’ll survive as a safety at the next level but his diverse skillset can fill several roles for us. His return game comes as an added bonus.

111: Osa Odighizuwa
DT, UCLA

Osa’s a DE convert, but the experiment might be short-lived since he lacks ideal size to play inside (6’2” 280 lb). Either way, he has long arms, big hands and can bench press a small bear. Dynamite pass rusher, decent against the run and carries some potential as a 3-tech. In other words, he’s as close to Geno as I could find, man, gimme a break already. :p

149: Derrick Barnes
LB, Purdue

At this point I’m happy with the first few picks. I’ve addressed our most urgent needs and figure it’s safe to go BPA. Enter Derrick Barnes. He’s flying the under the radar at the moment. Not on many Big Boards other than PFF (#130) and hasn’t been mocked anywhere in the Top 200. But he tested well (8.42 RAS), has great tape from the B1G, and plays with a vengeance. I like this kid. And we need LBs.    

190: Milton Williams
DT, Louisiana Tech

Throwing a bone here to the analytics nerds. I know Williams is the flavor of the month right now (9.96 RAS: 6’3” 285 lb, 34 reps, 38.5 vert, 10 1/8 broad, 4.67 secs, 6.96 3-cone) but I’m not sold on him quite yet. I need to see it on the field. He still looks so raw. But if he’s there at #190 like this, I pull the trigger and ask questions later.

202: Sadarius Hutcherson
OG, South Carolina

Hutcherson’s another sleeper. All over the Big Boards (from 149 to 292) but he's been climbing lately. He thrives in a phone booth with exceptional leverage and hand strength. Problem is that he doesn’t get his hands on everybody. Tongue He's not an adept run-blocker but his pass pro is solid. Former OT and he started his career as an edge (which is hard to believe) so he’s used to being moved around. He’s gained a ton of weight recently but with proper coaching could become serviceable. (Another R5-6 IOL option: David Moore, Grambling State, who showed out at the Senior Bowl.)

235: Damonte Coxie
WR, Memphis.

Last but not least, this is my dude. Coxie had a brutal pro-day so I just assume he's the next Jarvis Landry. He has everything but elite athleticism. Looks like a football player, plays like one, is fearless across the middle, tracks the ball like a pro, and graceful at the catch point. I recommend that you check the video below- what’s not to like? After Washington snagged Antonio Gibson from Memphis last year, we might do well to get our own Tiger. Coxie's a rich man’s Dezmon Briscoe to me and I’d take him anywhere on Day 3.

/end.

-

So... thoughts? Hits and misses? Cheers.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Btw, here are the vids that I couldn't fit into the above post:

Teven Jenkins interview

Terrace Marshall Jr

Jevon Holland

Milton Williams

Sadarius Hutcherson

(LG, #50)
Reply/Quote
Thanks for all the hard work here... I could see Washington 2022 pick being a top 4-10 range pick...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Thanks for all the hard work here... I could see Washington 2022 pick being a top 4-10 range pick...

Agreed. I can't see it being lower than 20. It would be a great to have a gift like that this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 05:21 AM)tms Wrote: I’m a card-carrying member of Team Penei but understand that we may look elsewhere on April 29. With that in mind, I wanted to see whether I could salvage a draft that didn’t include him. I used PFN and kept it to one trade max just to be realistic. (I find the simulators are a bit too generous sometimes. Tongue)

The Bengals are on the clock!

TRADE #5 to Washington = #19, #51 and 2022 R1.

19: Teven Jenkins
OT, Oklahoma State

I love Teven Jenkins, man. Less for football than intangible reasons. Yes he’s violent, but I think that’ll ease once he makes it to the pros and starts playing against grown men. I’m more drawn to his maturity in his interviews. He’s a born leader. Low-maintenance types carry a really high floor, and I think our line could use that kind of stabilizing force. To be sure, I rate Jenkins above Slater and Darrisaw primarily for that reason. He can also play inside and outside, has great timing and tested really well. Reminds me of Whit, all things considered.

38: Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR, LSU

Marshall’s been my preferred LSU wideout for months, which is another reason why I don’t want to pick Chase at #5. If Marshall didn’t play in the shadow of Chase and Jefferson in 2019, we might well be talking about him in the Top 5. He can run like a deer, has excellent hands (despite the occasional drop) and NFL size. What’s more, he’s already proven a willingness to defer to other targets in the name of the team, which he'll need to do with us. He’s also analytics-friendly. I mean, Chase is being lionized for his 9.9 RAS the other day (27th highest ever) and, while impressive, Marshall scored even higher (9.94 - 15th). I’m still dreaming about this outcome, and these draft mocks will at least keep my dream alive for a few more weeks.

51: Ronnie Perkins
EDGE, Oklahoma

Big fan of Perkins too. He might not have the ideal measurements for an NFL edge, but he’s explosive and I love his attitude and relentless pursuit. I can see him on a team like the Ravens for the next decade. He has a lot to learn as a run-stuffer imo but he’s a college kid, man. Nobody’s perfect. If we can pick him up with our second-rounder (or in this case, our second second-rounder) I do it in a heartbeat.

69: Jevon Holland
DB, Oregon

I wasn’t planning to go DB but Holland’s value here is too much to pass up. Ball hawk who can run like the wind with shutdown potential. I don’t know if he’ll survive as a safety at the next level but his diverse skillset can fill several roles for us in any case. His return game is a bonus.

111: Osa Odighizuwa
DT, UCLA

Osa’s a DE convert, but the experiment might be short-lived since he lacks ideal size to play inside (6’2” 280 lb). Having said that, he has long arms, big hands and can bench press a bear. Dynamite pass rusher, decent against the run and carries some potential as a 3-tech imo. In other words, he’s as close to Geno as I could find, man, gimme a break already. :p

149: Derrick Barnes
LB, Purdue

At this point I’m happy with the above picks. I’ve addressed the urgent needs and figure it’s safe to go BPA. Enter Derrick Barnes. He’s flying the under the radar imo. Currently not on many Big Boards and with the exception of PFF (#130) and hasn’t been mocked anywhere in the Top 200. But he tested well (8.42), has great tape and plays with a vengeance. I like this kid. And we need LBs.    

190: Milton Williams
DT, Louisiana Tech

Throwing a bone here to the analytics community here. I know Williams is the flavor of the month right now (9.96 RAS: 6’3” 285 lb, 34 reps, 38.5 vert, 10 1/8 broad, 4.67 secs, 6.96 3-cone) but I’m not sold on him yet. I need to see it on the field. He still looks so raw. But if he’s sitting there in the sixth round I pull the trigger and ask questions later.

202: Sadarius Hutcherson
OG, South Carolina

Hutcherson’s another sleeper. He’s all over the Big Boards (from 149 to 292) but he's been climbing. He thrives in a phone booth with exceptional leverage and hand strength. Problem is that he doesn’t get his hands on everybody. Tongue Either way, he's not an adept run-blocker but his pass pro is solid. Former OT and he started his career as an Edge (which is hard to believe) so he’s used to being moved around. He’s gained a ton of weight recently but with proper coaching could become serviceable. (Another R5-6 IOL option: David Moore, Grambling State.)

235: Damonte Coxie
WR, Memphis.

Last but not least, this is my dude. Coxie had a brutal pro-day so I just assume he's the next Jarvis Landry. He has everything but elite athleticism. He looks like a football player, plays like one, is fearless across the middle, tracks the ball like a pro, and graceful at the catch point. What’s not to like? He’s a rich man’s Dezmon Briscoe as far as I'm concerned and I’d take him anywhere on Day 3.

/end.

-

So... thoughts? Hits and misses? Cheers.

Who Dey

If you're taking a Safety that early you might wanna look into Jamar Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 06:50 PM)pulses Wrote: If you're taking a Safety that early you might wanna look into Jamar Johnson.

To be honest, Johnson hadn't even occurred to me. Thanks. I've got him slotted for R5-6. His highest mock right now is on PFF (#105). He's the 19th safety on my board, albeit the 4th or 5th who plays in the box (Hamsah, Wiggins, Bledsoe, + Thompson and Blankenship as hybrids). Other than Nasirildeen they carry R5-6 grades.

I'd say I picked Holland less for his position than his scheme-versatility in the back of the D. He can play up on the LOS, but has the range and ball skills to even play single-high (and anywhere in between). The fact that I couldn't take Penei might have also made me long for one of his teammates. :p

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 08:16 PM)tms Wrote: To be honest, Johnson hadn't even occurred to me. Thanks. I've got him slotted for R5-6. His highest mock right now is on PFF (#105). He's the 19th safety on my board, albeit the 4th or 5th who plays in the box (Hamsah, Wiggins, Bledsoe, + Thompson and Blankenship as hybrids). Other than Nasirildeen they carry R5-6 grades.

I'd say I picked Holland less for his position than his scheme-versatility in the back of the D. He can play up on the LOS, but has the range and ball skills to even play single-high (and anywhere in between). The fact that I couldn't take Penei might have also made me long for one of his teammates. :p

I just read after his pro day yesterday he's probably a day 2 pick.  And i've saw him on sites where they have him in the top 10 of all DB's in the class. I don't think Johnson has been mentioned much because he announced late and so he hasn't been on the big boards of many for very long.
Reply/Quote
I think you showed it’s not the end of the world as we know it if the Bengals trade back and don’t draft one of the big three.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 03:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think you showed it’s not the end of the world as we know it if the Bengals trade back and don’t draft one of the big three.

It would be a major waste of an opportunity.  

With all the QBs being taken in the top 4, it opens up players that normally wouldn't be available at 5.  You take Pitts, Chase or Sewell.  This team needs elite guys just as much as solid depth guys.
Reply/Quote
Milton nor Perkins will last that long but if our draft went this way sign me up!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 05:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It would be a major waste of an opportunity.  

With all the QBs being taken in the top 4, it opens up players that normally wouldn't be available at 5.  You take Pitts, Chase or Sewell.  This team needs elite guys just as much as solid depth guys.

Perhaps, but I remember them turning down a trade offer to draft another elite prospect 3rd overall from Oregon
Reply/Quote
Love Damonte Coxie. Why was his pro day so bad, didn't see the results and my Google machine is broken?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 04:37 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Love Damonte Coxie.  Why was his pro day so bad, didn't see the results and my Google machine is broken?

Yeah, it's the million-dollar question. He's always tested poorly despite his great tape.

If you see below, he lines up almost perfectly with Briscoe. And I liked Briscoe. But I'd say Coxie's skills are more advanced, which is why he plays so much faster than his time. He doesn't telegraph routes, has natural footwork, and knows how to twist his man into a pretzel. But above all, he tracks and catches the ball so effortlessly- he just sees the field. Those things all give him space to operate- and help him play fast and smooth- but don't necessarily show up on tests.

That's my theory, anyway. Because I'd love to have him. The tape don't lie.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Updated mock. Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
If you can remember that show, that means you've been with us long enough to have the same war scars. I like the outside the box thinking with the 1st. I don't know what to think about the pick since they could sneak in with that division.

I like Jenkins too, I'd really have to see the board though at 19. With that trade, I'd try to snake out another mid round pick to then package to secure Marshall, but love the Marshall pick in general. The DT class is rough, not sure if either guy is there at those spots but it's good you addressed it. Perkins seems like a cool toy if you have the talent around him to justify the pick, I don't have him as a high 3rd but to each their own.
Reply/Quote
Now that it's draft week, thought I'd post an update. My only rules were no trades and couldn’t take anyone I took last time. Oh, and I also forced myself to take Chase. I realized that I kinda weaseled out of it last time. Time to put on my big boy pants and just deal with the inevitable. :p

So here we go…

5: Ja'Marr Chase
WR LSU

There he is. Put him outside the numbers and watch him run!

38: Creed Humphrey
IOL, Oklahoma

Full disclosure: Landon was available here too. I just felt we needed a sure thing. We’re already playing catch-up. That said, I’ve always liked Creed better anyway. Plays much bigger than he is, and his mean streak is sensational. Team captain for the past two years. Alert and vocal. Rarely gets outmatched or outwitted. Natural balance, owing to his wrestling background. He just looks like he’ll anchor somebody’s line for years… maybe ours.

69: Quincy Roche
Edge, Miami (Fla.)

With Q, I've always thought there's a good and a bad: at 6’2” 245 so he can’t overpower guys (bad). But his explosive first step allows him to capitalize on mistakes (good!). Classic edge opportunist. Speed rusher who plays with his head on a swivel and knows what he’s doing in the backfield. Great motor. Seems like a potential overachiever.

111: D'Ante Smith
OT, East Carolina

Love this dude. Looked awesome at the Senior Bowl. 6’5”, 305. Versatile, although he played all but one game at LT. 35” arms and he uses every inch of them. Former wrestler with a knack for leverage. Still a bit raw in the run game but quality pass pro. Very agile. High compete level. My OT6, actually.

149: Patrick Jones II
Edge, Pittsburgh

6’4”, 260. 17.5 sacks over the past two years. Looks a bit like a noodle out there: always around the ball, impossible to contain, relentless, but plays with wax on his hands and slides off tackles. Team captain who leads by example. I figure his weaknesses are just a matter of technique and he’ll sort them out once he gets his "hands" on pro coaches (pun intended). Bound to have a lengthy career.

190: Simi Fehoko
WR, Stanford

6’4, 220. Glides across the field (4.4 40). Standout physical skills (9.35 RAS), but he’s still learning how to use them. Not a natural pass-catcher but it’s not a question of talent- he just needs reps. He's learning on the fly and he looked more comfortable this year than last. Doesn’t break tackles (yet). Just a super kid. He’s already pretty good and will only get better. He'll excel on ST in the meantime.

(I'll post his vid in the next msg.)

202: Shakur Brown
CB, Michigan State

Surveys the field like a pro and has dynamite ball skills. Type of corner who plays one step ahead of the game (which helps because he has limited athleticism and a bit of a choppy stride lol). Not the smoothest, but quite possibly the smartest.

235: Josh Ball
OT, Marshall

Basically everyone to this point is either a captain and/or model citizen. Enter the 6’7” 308 Josh Ball. Florida State LT in 2017 before he got kicked out for (allegedly) beating his girlfriend. So yeah, one of those guys. Gifted athlete, tho. Fluid on the second level, plays with a controlled fury, and... well, he clearly knows what he’s doing on the football field. It’s just a question of his character. Strictly from a talent point of view, it doesn't get much better than this on Day 3.

(I'll post his vid in the next msg.)

-

Summary

The Draft Network is a tough one. It has a lot of my targets ranked higher than other mocks, so it makes me feel like I’m picking from leftovers quite a bit. But I did my best.

Since we won’t be taking an OL in the first round, it really does put a wrench into things. Just needed to point that out! Yes it’s important to go “BPA” (if that’s what we'd even be doing here- which is another debate), but it's a bit of a paradox. By ignoring our most acute need in the first, we’re preventing ourselves from going BPA later- maybe even over multiple rounds. I know Zac and co. are planning for that, it's just important to keep it in mind.

I find the best template for our picks is really quite simple:

- 2 OL
- 2 WR
- 2 Edge
- 2 Wild Cards

Given the depth of the position groups and our needs, it just seems like the safest way to ensure value and a bit of margin for error. In this mock I spent my Wild Cards on Shakur Brown (CB) & Josh Ball (OT), but they needn't be held till to the end. There are tons of guys who may slip through the cracks and on whom we should be ready to pounce. Derrick Barnes (LB), Kenny Gainwell (RB) and Richie Grant (S) are just a few of the names that I'll be following.

Happy to hear your thoughts! How many guys did I screw up on?!

Cheers. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
190: Simi Fehoko
WR, Stanford

235: Josh Ball
OT, Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Perhaps, but I remember them turning down a trade offer to draft another elite prospect 3rd overall from Oregon

At no point was Akili Smith an "elite" prospect.  He was a guy that Mike Brown drafted because "if you have a chance at a QB, you take one"

Moving out of 5 with Pitts, Chase or Sewell on the board would be similar move to trading out of the spot if guys like Myles Garrett, Joe Burrow, the Bosas etc were on the board.  I will be very disappointed if we don't get one of the big 3 guys in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 11:06 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: At no point was Akili Smith an "elite" prospect.  He was a guy that Mike Brown drafted because "if you have a chance at a QB, you take one"

Moving out of 5 with Pitts, Chase or Sewell on the board would be similar move to trading out of the spot if guys like Myles Garrett, Joe Burrow, the Bosas etc were on the board.  I will be very disappointed if we don't get one of the big 3 guys in this draft.

For arguments sake, let’s say the Chargers want to move up from 13 to 5 to draft Sewell. I would do that trade for their 2021 2nd round pick (#47) and their 2022 1st round pick.

Let’s say at 13, Bengals draft OG Alijah Vera-Tucker who can start Day 1 at LG and can play OT in case of injury. At 38, they draft WR Terrace Marshall, Jr. At 47, the Bengals draft OC Creed Humphrey who can start at center if Hopkins isn’t ready or at RG if Hopkins is ready. And they would still have two first round picks in 2021, to target a RT next year after Reiff leaves.

I wouldn’t be disappointed by that.
Reply/Quote