Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Take Aways from the Superbowl
(02-05-2018, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By and large, the refs were letting them play.  I like that in a Championship game, let the players determine who is better.  Who wants to see the tone of the Championship dictated by overzealous officiating?  

Now, I will add that I was really surprised by the no-call, on the play that Cooks got KO'd, along with the amount of time spent on confirming that TD that we've all been discussing.

I don't understand let 'em play.  If it's good enough for the playoffs, why not the whole season?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Because he didn't lead with the crown of the helmet ala Shazier.

WR had established as a runner.

I know that it seems counterintuitive given the "player safety" issues the NFL "cares" about.  But that the rule.

Agree to disagree I guess..

He obviously lead with the crown of his helmet.

It it not even possible to hit someone with it without leading with it.. to say otherwise is pure fiction.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:37 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Agree to disagree I guess..

It it not even possible to hit someone with it without leading with it.. to say otherwise is pure fiction.

And the shazier hit on bernard (I'm assuming this is what u were referring too) was illegal as hell. I don't know what you are saying here tbh. Shazier completely led with his head and cold clocked Bernard in the head.

I get the runner part but that's moot because you can't Speer people No matter what.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:37 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Agree to disagree I guess..

Yeah, no.  Had to watch the video agan myself.  No contact with the crown of the defenders helmet at all.

Side of the helmet right under Cook's jaw.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, no.  Had to watch the video agan myself.  No contact with the crown of the defenders helmet at all.

Side of the helmet right under Cook's jaw.

Lol What?

It's clearly obvious he hits him with his helmet in the head.  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:51 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Lol What?

Yes...not the crown of the helmet.  Not even close.  Leading with his shoulder.  The problem is that , anatomically, the head is almost always in front of the shoulders.  But he comes from the side.

Edit: Still shot from the gif above.

[Image: crown.jpg]

Frame before/just as contact is made.

Not the crown.  Not at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh yeah.  

And my FB f has the usual Pats fans claiming those two calls PROVE the NFL isn't skewed toward helping the Patriots.

btw: Pats extended their record streak of ZERO offensive holding calls in a playoff game which started in 2006.  And they had two penalties called on them all game (one declined).

We need Nate Solder. LOL 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By and large, the refs were letting them play.  I like that in a Championship game, let the players determine who is better.  Who wants to see the tone of the Championship dictated by overzealous officiating?  

Now, I will add that I was really surprised by the no-call, on the play that Cooks got KO'd, along with the amount of time spent on confirming that TD that we've all been discussing.

There was also DPI on the hail mary when Jenkins leveled Hogan.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes...not the crown of the helmet.  Not even close.  Leading with his shoulder.  The problem is that , anatomically, the head is almost always in front of the shoulders.  But he comes from the side.

Edit:  Still shot from the gif above.

That's correct.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:42 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I get the runner part but that's moot because you can't Speer people No matter what.

[Image: 220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146II-277%2C_Albert_Speer.jpg]

Agree to disagree.

Seriously though, the fact we hear arguments like this so often from Bengals fans shows how soft your team has been historically.  Yet, you'll all have a nice circle J when Burfict pulls some post play cheap shot.  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 12:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: [Image: 220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146II-277%2C_Albert_Speer.jpg]

Agree to disagree.

Seriously though, the fact we hear arguments like this so often from Bengals fans shows how soft your team has been historically.  Yet, you'll all have a nice circle J when Burfict pulls some post play cheap shot.  

Ever read his book?  Pretty damn fascinating if probably a bit self-serving.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 12:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ever read his book?  Pretty damn fascinating if probably a bit self-serving.

Most definitely.  It's actually the book that got me interested in the in depth history of WW2.  Most definitely a memoir colored by the desire to mitigate his own role in the third reich, but he's also one of the only people to take responsibility for their actions during the Nuremberg trials.  A must read for any serious student of WW2 regardless.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Most definitely.  It's actually the book that got me interested in the in depth history of WW2.  Most definitely a memoir colored by the desire to mitigate his own role in the third reich, but he's also one of the only people to take responsibility for their actions during the Nuremberg trials.  A must read for any serious student of WW2 regardless.

You know it's funny, I knew the title "Inside the Third Reich", but had no idea what it really was. Figured some dude wrote a book about the Nazis. Then one day in a bookstore I read the back cover and thought "is this for real"?  I was wondering how this wasn't mandatory in schools and the second most popular book behind the Bible.  A first hand account from the early 30s and on?  I'm not good at reading straight history, but this was a whole different animal.  

Sorry about the thread jack.  

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Most definitely.  It's actually the book that got me interested in the in depth history of WW2.  Most definitely a memoir colored by the desire to mitigate his own role in the third reich, but he's also one of the only people to take responsibility for their actions during the Nuremberg trials.  A must read for any serious student of WW2 regardless.

(02-06-2018, 01:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You know it's funny, I knew the title "Inside the Third Reich", but had no idea what it really was. Figured some dude wrote a book about the Nazis. Then one day in a bookstore I read the back cover and thought "is this for real"?  I was wondering how this wasn't mandatory in schools and the second most popular book behind the Bible.  A first hand account from the early 30s and on?  I'm not good at reading straight history, but this was a whole different animal.  

Sorry about the thread jack.  

Yeah, way off topic!  But....   Smirk

If you ever have the chance to go the WWII museum in New Orleans is AMAZING!

I was not a big buff of the Pacific Arena but after spending a few hours at the museum I started digging more into that aspect of the war.

Just a fantastic place.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:51 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Lol What?

Helmet to helmet contact isn't illegal against a runner. Only leading with the crown of the helmet is.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Helmet to helmet contact isn't illegal against a runner. Only leading with the crown of the helmet is.

Yeah we’re not talking about that anymore. LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah we’re not talking about that anymore. LOL

YOU'LL STOP TALKING ABOUT IT WHEN I SAY YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!

Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Helmet to helmet contact isn't illegal against a runner. Only leading with the crown of the helmet is.

(02-06-2018, 01:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah we’re not talking about that anymore. LOL

Totally.  That was SO two hours ago!   Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes...not the crown of the helmet.  Not even close.  Leading with his shoulder.  The problem is that , anatomically, the head is almost always in front of the shoulders.  But he comes from the side.

Edit:  Still shot from the gif above.

Ok I see what you are saying from the still. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Totally.  That was SO two hours ago!   Cool

What was two hours ago? Mellow

Ninja

Reply/Quote