Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Theory as to our Offensive Ineptitude
We all know the offensive line is out of sync and that's due to the fact that they had no preseason time to gel. I would submit to you that in addition to the OL being out of sync with each other, they are also out of sync with the QB. Every QB has their way of pocket maneuvering in accordance to how the OL is blocking. With the new starters on the OL, they don't yet have an instinctual feel for how Burrow likes to move in the pocket. In addition, Joe is not yet accustomed to how the new OLmen are blocking their men. This is evident in how many times Burrow tries to escape the pocket only to run into a defender. Yesterday, was better as he was able to escape the pocket and pick up some positive yards.

Now, I'm no football guru, but it's my theory that Zac and Callahan are trying to "help" the OL by calling so many rushing plays on 1st and 2nd downs. If true, I think this is doing the opposite of helping. This is just making it take longer for the OL to get in sync with the QB. I don't know the specific stats, but it seems that our offense has played better in the 2nd half of both games and I think it's because we do more passing kinda forcing the OL and QB to get on the same page quicker.

Your thoughts (beyond the "Zac and/or Pollack sucks and/or needs fired")?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think the way Burrow looks is more concerning than the OL itself. Joe looks terrible. He's dropping his eyes, not looking downfield, not going through progressions, etc...even when he has a clean pocket.

Dude is broken right now. Its really sad to see tbh.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think the way Burrow looks is more concerning than the OL itself. Joe looks terrible. He's dropping his eyes, not looking downfield, not going through progressions, etc...even when he has a clean pocket.

I'd be concerned, too, except he still looks so elite and clutch at the end of games. I just can't help but think the issue basically boils down to the fact that he and the OL are not on the same page (hell, it's like they're not even reading the same book half the time). I think once they're in sync, even if there's a lot of pressures given up, I think we'll see vintage Burrow in the pocket, moving around, throwing the deep dimes, etc. And I think that'll happen sooner if Zac stops trying to run the ball so damned much at the beginning of games and on 1st and 2nd downs so much. Pass to set up the run from the start of the game and this line will gel quicker, Burrow will get in sync with the line quicker and our offense will look unstoppable quicker. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'd be concerned, too, except he still looks so elite and clutch at the end of games. I just can't help but think the issue basically boils down to the fact that he and the OL are not on the same page (hell, it's like they're not even reading the same book half the time). I think once they're in sync, even if there's a lot of pressures given up, I think we'll see vintage Burrow in the pocket, moving around, throwing the deep dimes, etc. And I think that'll happen sooner if Zac stops trying to run the ball so damned much at the beginning of games and on 1st and 2nd downs so much. Pass to set up the run from the start of the game and this line will gel quicker, Burrow will get in sync with the line quicker and our offense will look unstoppable quicker. ThumbsUp

I get why they are running the ball. They are trying to get teams out of the two high safety looks. 

The problem is that they can't run the ball. They need to find a way to run the ball and have success on short intermediate passing. That will take teams out of the two high looks. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Defenses know how to stop the big plays the Bengals depended so much on last year: Cover 2 spam with a side of blitzes from time to time.

The offense don't understand the concept of a long, sustainable drives and look like a deer in headlights. Factor that in with the fact that both tackles have inexcusably regressed to to Ogbughei realm and this is the result.

It needs to be fixed fast and in a hurry. The Jets defensive line dominated us last year and they have that 350 lb tank from Georgia manning the interior line now. Flacco isn't concerning but neither is Trubisky and Rush. If they give him too many chances he'll blow the game open.
Reply/Quote
I think you are right about Joe being out of sync with the line. Line is obviously out of sync with each other, but it’s exacerbated by Joe not having any feel for this new line. If the line doesn’t get any better, the team will still get a little better when Joe has a better feel for this s*** offensive line.

Joe did enough last year with that trash line to get to the SB. He could do the same with this one, but he needs to get a better feel for it. He seemed to get better behind the line last year as the season went on. Hopefully the same thing happens this year BUT at the same time the line also improves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think the way Burrow looks is more concerning than the OL itself. Joe looks terrible. He's dropping his eyes, not looking downfield, not going through progressions, etc...even when he has a clean pocket.

It's troublesome for sure. Looks like he lacks confidence which is not like him. His first throw to start the season was a pick-6. Not a great way to start but has to shake that shit off. If that's not it then something else seems to be holding him back. I'm not confident he plays well against the Jets next week but if he does, I will know I'm full of crap.

Reply/Quote
How long does an O Line take to "gel" I'm not buying that, they practice every day together since April, that's 5 to 6 months, how much time do they need? They should have "gelled" after the first month. If they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to. Other teams seem to be able to plug and play 2nd or 3rd stringers and play well together. (See yesterday with Dallas, playing with a patch OLine) pushed our D up and down the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:36 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: How long does an O Line take to "gel"  I'm not buying that, they practice every day together since April, that's 5 to 6 months, how much time do they need? They should have "gelled" after the first month. If they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to. Other teams seem to be able to plug and play 2nd or 3rd stringers and play well together. (See yesterday with Dallas, playing with a patch OLine) pushed our D up and down the field.

"If they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to."  Do you understand how ignorant this looks?  Do you also understand that most of us know as much, and most likely more, than you do about football?

Again let me help you since you comment like a teenager...

"In my opinion, if they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to."

Notice the headline of this thread?  "My theory as to our offensive ineptitude". This is a mature adult speaking with other mature adults that understands that we all know football and he isnt telling us how things are or will be, unlike you.  It is very annoying, especially after having to watch the shitshow the last 2 games to come on here and have some person tell us all how it is and how it will be as if you are some future seeing football guru.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I get why they are running the ball. They are trying to get teams out of the two high safety looks. 

The problem is that they can't run the ball. They need to find a way to run the ball and have success on short intermediate passing. That will take teams out of the two high looks. 

Wasn't what's his name, the Viking TE(Not Viking the team, Viking that pillages)  that used to play here cut? He played FB for us quite a bit as well as TE. With Sample out, maybe bring him in.
Reply/Quote
I'm trying to exercise patience with my Bengals fandom. Burrow had the surgery and it's a new OL. The time they had to practice or play together in the preseason was limited. We know there is urgency because 0-3 or 0-4 teams don't typically make the playoffs or experience playoff success so weeks 3 & 4 are going to be telling. Can the coaches, Burrow, and the OL mesh well-enough to give us hope? We shall see. After week 4, if we're 1-3 or 0-4, I'll start my tears. Cry

For now, I'm patiently hoping for 2-2.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I get why they are running the ball. They are trying to get teams out of the two high safety looks. 

Maybe run something other than a HB stretch play, and WTH was that toss play. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:36 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: How long does an O Line take to "gel"  I'm not buying that, they practice every day together since April, that's 5 to 6 months, how much time do they need? They should have "gelled" after the first month. If they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to. Other teams seem to be able to plug and play 2nd or 3rd stringers and play well together. (See yesterday with Dallas, playing with a patch OLine) pushed our D up and down the field.

Because in practice, they are playing they're own defense and even then the practice defense is probably not trying to beat the offense.

In addition to that, each team in the NFL has their own defensive-style. There are different base defenses amongst each team and even teams that run the same base defenses, there are different blitz strategies and different tendencies by each DC in what they like to do in certain down-and-distance scenarios.

So, no, they shouldn't have gelled "after the first month" of practice. 
Reply/Quote
I’ll say this, I’m not bashing anyone. But gelling is one thing, when you flat out lose your 1on1. It has nothing to do with gelling or reps. You’re just getting beat. So far a lot of the guys have just flat out been beat. Their technique is off or something. But it has nothing to do with cohesion right now!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: We all know the offensive line is out of sync and that's due to the fact that they had no preseason time to gel. I would submit to you that in addition to the OL being out of sync with each other, they are also out of sync with the QB. Every QB has their way of pocket maneuvering in accordance to how the OL is blocking. With the new starters on the OL, they don't yet have an instinctual feel for how Burrow likes to move in the pocket. In addition, Joe is not yet accustomed to how the new OLmen are blocking their men. This is evident in how many times Burrow tries to escape the pocket only to run into a defender. Yesterday, was better as he was able to escape the pocket and pick up some positive yards.

Now, I'm no football guru, but it's my theory that Zac and Callahan are trying to "help" the OL by calling so many rushing plays on 1st and 2nd downs. If true, I think this is doing the opposite of helping. This is just making it take longer for the OL to get in sync with the QB. I don't know the specific stats, but it seems that our offense has played better in the 2nd half of both games and I think it's because we do more passing kinda forcing the OL and QB to get on the same page quicker.

Your thoughts (beyond the "Zac and/or Pollack sucks and/or needs fired")?

my theory is they arent that good at coaching...  And need to adjust better in game.  Last year was all splash plays and broken plays it seems Teams arent gonna let us do that again

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/19/jamarr-chase-offense-needs-to-make-more-adjustments-during-games/
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:45 AM)casear2727 Wrote: "If they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to."  Do you understand how ignorant this looks?  Do you also understand that most of us know as much, and most likely more, than you do about football?

Again let me help you since you comment like a teenager...

"In my opinion, if they haven't "gelled" by now they aren't going to."

Notice the headline of this thread?  "My theory as to our offensive ineptitude". This is a mature adult speaking with other mature adults that understands that we all know football and he isnt telling us how things are or will be, unlike you.  It is very annoying, especially after having to watch the shitshow the last 2 games to come on here and have some person tell us all how it is and how it will be as if you are some future seeing football guru.

This is a DISCUSSION FORUM for fans to exchange their thoughts, ideas, and opinions about the team. Some people have different thoughts and opinions, and state them with a higher degree of confidence and certainty. Nobody should have to sugar coat what they feel is a certainty based on their own observations to cater to your pathethic sensibilities. 

Grow up.

What he's saying makes perfect sense. The excuses we're making for the O-line's performance doesn't seem to be affecting other teams. Brady has time to look like Brady and their O-line is patchwork. Who did they Cowboys have other than Zach Martin on their O-line? It didn't seem to slow them down at all, at least not in the first half.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:21 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: This is a DISCUSSION FORUM for fans to exchange their thoughts, ideas, and opinions about the team. Some people have different thoughts and opinions, and state them with a higher degree of confidence and certainty. Nobody should have to sugar coat what they feel is a certainty based on their own observations to cater to your pathethic sensibilities. 

Grow up.

You grow up and learn the difference in sugar coating and stating absolutes now and in the future.  

We all have the same thoughts and opinions on this terribly coached football mess we are watching.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:08 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’ll say this, I’m not bashing anyone.  But gelling is one thing, when you flat out lose your 1on1. It has nothing to do with gelling or reps.  You’re just getting beat. So far a lot of the guys have just flat out been beat.  Their technique is off or something.  But it has nothing to do with cohesion right now!

I saw Lael Collins get spun like he got hit with Kabal's Nomad dash yesterday. Dude is playing some really bad reps. 

Why did we roll out the red carpet for that guy? 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:08 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’ll say this, I’m not bashing anyone.  But gelling is one thing, when you flat out lose your 1on1. It has nothing to do with gelling or reps.  You’re just getting beat. So far a lot of the guys have just flat out been beat.  Their technique is off or something.  But it has nothing to do with cohesion right now!

True, but how much of them being 1-on-1 is by design and how much of it is miscommunication between OL on who and/or when to double team?
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what's exactly wrong with this team, but I think I found a clue while on Reddit.  4 lineman blocking 1 guy and Micah running free?  Not good.
[Image: cjlqk0ujwoo91.jpg]
(Sorry if this has been posted already)
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote