Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Thoughts on all the Marvin/Zampese/Gunther Hate
(10-11-2016, 10:53 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree with much of what you said.  I've given up any thought of the Bengals being players in free agency.  It just seems to go against everything Mike Brown believes in.

I really did not understand the Shawn Williams deal.  $20 million for a guy with only a couple starts and not much playing time overall.  At the time the argument from many was "the coaches see him in practice, they know he's ready to go".  I'm not so sure about that now because he does not look very good on the field.

I sometimes think this team puts too much emphasis on not having turnover.  We hear "he knows the playbook, he is familiar with the system".  Those are good things, but they don't trump talent.  We even hear it with draft picks.  "You can't expect a guy to just come in and contribute right away", but we see that every day on other teams.  I've often wondered if there system is really that intricate, that detailed, that a guy who has played football his entire life can't learn it in an off season?
IMO the system can't be very "complicated" at all. If it were, it might work. This one certainly doesn't. Cry
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is an interesting point. 

We have relatively the same players that we had last year minus a few rotation players and our second best wide receiver from a year ago. These players were not adequately replaced which falls directly on the front office. 

Also, the coaching staff has changed from last year. Vance Joseph and Hugh Jackson are gone. Thats the biggest difference between this year and last year. 

So this kind of falls directly on the FO and coaching staff. 

The impact of the lost players may be getting exaggerated.

Marvin Jones had 816 rec yds, 4 TDs last year.
Mohamed Sanu had 394 rec yds, 71 rush yds, 2 total TDs last year.
LaFell is on pace for more rec yds and TDs than Jones had last year.
Boyd is on pace for more yds than Sanu had last year.

So the receivers may not really be in as bad of shape as people are making it out to be. It's the running game that's in much worse shape so far this year compared to last.

The pass rush has been worse without Gilberry, but many of us clamored for help at DE all offseason. Injuries to both Hardison and Billings sure haven't helped in that department either though.

Losing Nelson has seemed to hurt so far, but both he and Jones were supposedly offered deals right around what they signed elsewhere, so they might not have re-signed here anyway.

I really think losing as many coordinators and coaches have had the biggest impact thus far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You won't get any arguments from me that Marvin should have been out a good while ago. This coaching staff has, and still is, holding this team back. You take a look at all the talent and all the high draft picks we have on this roster, and I see no reason that this team should be playing so lackluster. How many other teams boast some of the talent that we do?

I have less of a problem on how the team is built and run. Outside of Peyton Manning, who was the last huge free agent signing that "put the team over the top?" How is Houston looking this year? How 'bout the Dolphins? There are plenty of teams that keep quiet and build contenders. I'm fine with spending money on home grown talent rather than no names from other teams.

But it all makes no difference if you have a coaching staff that is just a team builder, and not capable of coaching that team to the top.

It's gonna be messy this Sunday.
Reply/Quote