Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My annual "Sign Cordarrell Patterson" thread
Seems like he is a free agent every year And I post somthing like this every year

If anyone watches Cordarrelle Patterson run with the ball in the open field they will usually think he could be a star in the NFL. It seems like with his vision, balance, size, and speed he could be a dangerous offensive weapon just running screens and jet sweeps. But it has never worked out yet.

Patterson holds the NFL career record for kickoff return tds (8) and his career average (29.8) is second only to Gayle Sayers (30.6). That is pretty amazing for a guy who weighs over 230 lbs. But for some reason he has never been a big offensive weapon. He had 469 receiving yards his rookie season, but that is his career high. In the 7 seasons since then he has averaged 24 catches for 231 yards.

The Bears used him more as a RB last year (64 carries) and the one year he played for the Patriots he had twice as many carries (42) as he did receptions (21). So there are lots of ways to get the ball in his hands.

I watched Patterson play for Tennessee in college. He is a freak talent. I have always been expecting him to have a big breakout offensive season, but after 8 years with 4 different teams I don't think it is going to happen. However I would still love to have him in stripes as a #3 WR and kick returner. He is the kind of player that is just exciting to watch everytime he touches the ball.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Phillips already pissed off?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Patterson has been strictly a KR, as he has only one career punt return. Since we re-signed Brandon Wilson, and we have a capable (we think) PR who can also play a premium position in Phillips, I don't really believe Patterson has any role to play. He's basically hopeless as a WR in any conventional sense. Bill Polian really nailed it with his evaluation of Patterson coming out of Tennessee. I will say if I had the luxury of just needing a return man, Patterson would top my list of available guys.
Reply/Quote
Is that the guy who missed a bunch of games with migraines in Minnesota?

I honestly forgot he was in the league. That feels like a lifetime ago.

Edit: Nm that was Percy Harvin, another disappointing Vikings WR who was better at returning kicks (5 return TDs) than playing WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He has all the physical tools but can’t seem to put it together. I thought he seemed dumb and immature when coming into the league, not sure if he ever got past that...
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't be bad for depth,but he probably wants to be a kick returner. Wouldn't want to rely on him being a number 1 or 2 for us. That's why I think our 1st pick will be jamar chase,seems like the writing is on the wall.
Reply/Quote
ah yes the WR that seemly cant play WR
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He has all the physical tools but can’t seem to put it together. I thought he seemed dumb and immature when coming into the league, not sure if he ever got past that...

Hey, if you are a 4x All-Pro, your career has already been a success. Even if it is as a returner rather than a receiver.

8tds and a career average of 29.8 yards per kick return makes me wonder if he would have been a HoF returner if we still had the old kickoff rules.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: ah yes the WR that seemly cant play WR

He still gets it done on ST though... Not a glaring need for the Bengals in my opinion though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote