Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My defensive prediction
We’re switching to a 3-4 defense. It’s why we’re bringing in players like Lorenzo carter, Arden key, etc. surprised we haven’t brought in Harold Landry yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We’re switching to a 3-4 defense. It’s why we’re bringing in players like Lorenzo carter, Arden key, etc. surprised we haven’t brought in Harold Landry yet.

What happens to Geno  in a 3-4?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:21 AM)McC Wrote: What happens to Geno  in a 3-4?

De.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We’re switching to a 3-4 defense. It’s why we’re bringing in players like Lorenzo carter, Arden key, etc. surprised we haven’t brought in Harold Landry yet.

Maybe, but to me it seems more like a due diligence thing. I feel like the FO/coaching staff is finally realizing that, especially at LB, you can’t have slow, unathletic, one trick ponies (thumpers) and expect to defend in this league anymore.

Reply/Quote

No.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Austin runs a 4-3, if the plan was to switch I feel like we would have been better off bringing someone else in with more 3-4 experience. He said he is going to scheme around players rather than get the players to work in his scheme, so we could see some hybrid fronts which I'd like, but based on them still referring to Burfict as Will tells me that they are staying in 4-3 as the base formation.

The look at the EDGE guys who are kind of tweeners may just mean we are looking at smaller faster edge rushers. My understanding is the "Big" DE mold we have used was a Marvin thing but maybe Austin is interested in smaller fast guys. Someone like Carter could gain 10-15 pounds and be fine playing end at 265-270. I think Arden Key could be simply value play, I heard this weekend he is looking more like a round 3 or 4 guy now.
Reply/Quote
Is this prediction based on anything other than a few visits with prospects who could play in the 3-4 or 4-3 (granted, in a Lawson way)?
Reply/Quote

I thought Austin ran mainly a 4-3 defense with the Lions? Other than certain players being looked at, I don't get any indication that they would actually switch.

With that said though, I think a 3-4 MIGHT be able to work with the following starters:
3-4 DE = Atkins, Dunlap
3-4 OLB = Lawson, Willis

Bengals would need a true 3-4 NT.
Burfict would probably be a good 3-4 ILB but I don't know about Brown? I assume the Bengals would need/want a speedier LB to pair with Burfict on the inside.

But this idea seems a little to big of a change for a team that says they aren't in a rebuilding process.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well, we are the odd man out in the AFC North in using a base 4-3, however, I don't think we are making that transition. I think the current players are more suited to be in a 4-3. If anything, maybe they'd use an occasional 3-4 sub-package.
Reply/Quote
We'd need to draft a good NT and OLB, don't see it happening. Too big of a change, like ocho said.
Reply/Quote

Landry may not be the typical 6’6 DE the bengals like but he can definitely be a 4-3 pass rusher. May even be his best fit.

And I’m very confident we aren’t switching to a 3-4, especially given the coaches we have. It really wouldn’t make any sense, that said it never hurts to have versatile players and to be able to throw different looks and packages at the opposing offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 11:10 AM)Domata94 Wrote: Well, we are the odd man out in the AFC North in using a base 4-3, however, I don't think we are making that transition. I think the current players are more suited to be in a 4-3. If anything, maybe they'd use an occasional 3-4 sub-package.

We were the odd man out.  Cleveland now running a base 4-3.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/2721/browns-lay-to-rest-their-ineffective-3-4-defense-with-hiring-of-gregg-Williams

I thought that they still ran the 3-4, until someone corrected me in another thread.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 09:10 AM)Jpoore Wrote: De.
A 6' tall end?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I doubt it. We might run some 3-4 fronts some times but i think this is more just of seeing how Lawson worked well and
wasn't just that prototypical tall End that we only looked at before. The failures of Hunt and Clarke emphasized this too.

In the end size is not what matters, it is getting to the QB and producing on the field.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: A 6' tall end?

It works for Aaron Donald, Geno's clone. I think Geno could play as a 3-4 end, but what you lose there is him lined up one on one with a guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 02:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: It works for Aaron Donald, Geno's clone. I think Geno could play as a 3-4 end, but what you lose there is him lined up one on one with a guard.

Don't the Rams play some kind of hybrid of a 3-4 which essentially makes Donald an UT?

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 02:38 PM)McC Wrote: Don't the Rams play some kind of hybrid of a 3-4 which essentially makes Donald an UT?

They have multiple fronts like most people today. They will run a one look that has him as a 1 gap defender and sometimes they run him as a 2 gap defender. He and Geno are best when they set him in 1 gap technique and let him explode because it gives him less responsibility in the run game.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 11:33 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Landry may not be the typical 6’6 DE the bengals like but he can definitely be a 4-3 pass rusher. May even be his best fit.

And I’m very confident we aren’t switching to a 3-4, especially given the coaches we have. It really wouldn’t make any sense, that said it never hurts to have versatile players and to be able to throw different looks and packages at the opposing offense.

Ah, I didn't know they had switched. Thanks for the information.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 09:15 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Maybe, but to me it seems more like a due diligence thing. I feel like the FO/coaching staff is finally realizing that, especially at LB, you can’t have slow, unathletic, one trick ponies (thumpers) and expect to defend in this league anymore.

Problem with that logic is nobody expecexpects key to be a coverage lbers. Same with Landry, and Carter.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 11:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We were the odd man out.  Cleveland now running a base 4-3.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/2721/browns-lay-to-rest-their-ineffective-3-4-defense-with-hiring-of-gregg-Williams

I thought that they still ran the 3-4, until someone corrected me in another thread.

They run a hybrid 3-4/4-3
Reply/Quote