Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teams with multiple picks in Rd 2-3
(03-06-2020, 06:15 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm for 8+ draft picks - getting a good one for Dalton is paramount for shortening the rebuild.

The Bengals can afford to re-sign some of their own guys, still eat some of Dalton's salary and have money left over to invest in free agency.

I'm all for moving some players for picks, but also using those picks (bargaining chips) to attain other players that might fit well with what the Bengals have planned, and/or move up and down in the draft to secure the players that they see as best fit for their plans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm all for moving some players for picks, but also using those picks (bargaining chips) to attain other players that might fit well with what the Bengals have planned, and/or move up and down in the draft to secure the players that they see as best fit for their plans.

I'm in total agreement with you guys for the draft, with draft picks a plenty; moving back in each round of the draft. For instance, if a great WR or DT/DE is still sitting there at #33, I'd rather trade down 10 picks, and possibly end up with not only a WR, but an extra pick for a CB/LB, etc...

This draft is loaded and we need picks picks picks.

But are you guys telling me that with 80 Mill available for FA, and multiple holes to still fill, you don't want them to spend on an OG like Glasgow and a LB like Schobert, etc...??
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 07:02 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I'm in total agreement with you guys for the draft, with draft picks a plenty; moving back in each round of the draft. For instance, if a great WR or DT/DE is still sitting there at #33, I'd rather trade down 10 picks, and possibly end up with not only a WR, but an extra pick for a CB/LB, etc...

This draft is loaded and we need picks picks picks.

But are you guys telling me that with 80 Mill available for FA, and multiple holes to still fill, you don't want them to spend on an OG like Glasgow and a LB like Schobert, etc...??

I don't mind them paying good money to a good player, I'd prefer that they don't overpay to an average player, which would cause more harm than good in the end.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't mind them paying good money to a good player, I'd prefer that they don't overpay to an average player, which would cause more harm than good in the end.

I guess you bolded those two players b/c you'd think we'll overpay those Average players? How long has it been since the Bengals have chosen right for a competent LB? Would you say that Schobert is a competent, even good LB in this league. At this stage, the Bengals probably need to overpay for one b/c they can't seem to get it right in the draft.
The same thing would go for an Average OG. Because all of the Bengals Guards are below starting grade quality based on PFF ratings.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 08:52 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I guess you bolded those two players b/c you'd think we'll overpay those Average players? How long has it been since the Bengals have chosen right for a competent LB? Would you say that Schobert is a competent, even good LB in this league. At this stage, the Bengals probably need to overpay for one b/c they can't seem to get it right in the draft.
The same thing would go for an Average OG. Because all of the Bengals Guards are below starting grade quality based on PFF ratings.

Marvin sucked with Linebackers besides Burfict.

Germaine Pratt was a great pick last year IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 03:43 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: In which case why do you trust the Bengals to spend the money wisely in free agency?

And if you do go wrong, then a 2nd round draft pick will have far less guaranteed money than a second wave free agent.

It's (should be) easier to find a good player in FA than in the draft.
But I don't trust them to actually spend money wisely in FA either.
They'll give one of their mediocre guys like Vigil way too much to stay then say they can't afford a good FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 10:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's (should be) easier to find a good player in FA than in the draft.
They'll give one of their mediocre guys like Vigil way too much to stay then say they can't afford a good FA.

Sad state of affairs.

Players in FA have proven their worth.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 10:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's (should be) easier to find a good player in FA than in the draft.

It's not about finding but signing. They may be able to identify good players but that doesn't mean they can get good players to sign for them. If they are good they are going to have other options and those other options are invariably more attractive for a variety of reasons - some within their control (teams more likely to win, the Bengals' reputation as an organization) and some outside their control (climate, location, market size, tax).

The beauty of the draft from the Bengals' perspective is that it allows them to sign players who would otherwise opt to sign elsewhere and if that isn't enough it allows them to sign them for far cheaper than they would get on the open market. The Bengals are right to prioritize building through the draft. Where they are wrong is in not being more aggressive in plugging gaps through free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 08:52 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I guess you bolded those two players b/c you'd think we'll overpay those Average players? How long has it been since the Bengals have chosen right for a competent LB? Would you say that Schobert is a competent, even good LB in this league. At this stage, the Bengals probably need to overpay for one b/c they can't seem to get it right in the draft.

I bolded those particular players because I believe they are good players that would be worth the money they'll cost.  (as opposed to overpaying like the Jets did with CJ Mosely last year)

I really believe that bringing in a couple of proven guys, not on their final playing days, does much to free up the draft and simply allow the Bengals to select the best players available that improve the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Funny, haven't thought of Indy as a landing spot for Dalton until now. Seems like a perfect fit.

Luck leaves and Dalton ends up in a great spot. Smirk

The Colts thought they were pretty close before losing Luck.  I also can't help but think that some teams absolutely do NOT want to see him go to New England (who has seemingly painted themselves in to a corner with Brady) as they realize that he is a solid QB and a good fit there.  Improve your team while not allowing another team to improve.  

Indy makes a ton of sense.  If he busts, they can go after a draft pick next year.  If he hits, they sign him to an extension.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Colts thought they were pretty close before losing Luck.  I also can't help but think that some teams absolutely do NOT want to see him go to New England (who has seemingly painted themselves in to a corner with Brady) as they realize that he is a solid QB and a good fit there.  Improve your team while not allowing another team to improve.  

Indy makes a ton of sense.  If he busts, they can go after a draft pick next year.  If he hits, they sign him to an extension.  

Yeah, the more I think about it this is the best spot for Dalton and Indy has 2 second round picks so they would have 
the leverage over New England. It would be best for all even though Dalton would still be in our conference unlike if 
he went to Chicago.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, the more I think about it this is the best spot for Dalton and Indy has 2 second round picks so they would have 
the leverage over New England. It would be best for all even though Dalton would still be in our conference unlike if 
he went to Chicago.

I'd be absolutely Shocked if the Colts would give up their pick at #44 for Dalton. No way that happens. And, NE will most definitely trade down from #23 into the 2nd round for either a #2 or #3. They already have 3 picks in the 3rd round. #87 and 2 conditionals that should be #100 and #101. If they get 4 in the 3rd round, that's enough ammo for them to trade for Dalton IMO.

The crazy thing about all this speculation is that by the time FA starts, we'll know whether Brady is staying or going. And, everything hinges on that move. Also, NE may not even think about pulling off a trade until after the 1st round of the draft as they see how things go.

This is all good stuff talking about it though. Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 01:43 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I'd be absolutely Shocked if the Colts would give up their pick at #44 for Dalton. No way that happens. And, NE will most definitely trade down from #23 into the 2nd round for either a #2 or #3. They already have 3 picks in the 3rd round. #87 and 2 conditionals that should be #100 and #101. If they get 4 in the 3rd round, that's enough ammo for them to trade for Dalton IMO.

The crazy thing about all this speculation is that by the time FA starts, we'll know whether Brady is staying or going. And, everything hinges on that move. Also, NE may not even think about pulling off a trade until after the 1st round of the draft as they see how things go.

This is all good stuff talking about it though. Lol

I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts gave up their late 2nd round pick. But yeah, it all hinges on Brady.

We will see, that is what is fun about all this stuff is talking about it and seeing it play out.
Reply/Quote