Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever published Mock
Hello all,

I want to preface this by stating this is a mock/fa mock that I feel has a strong chance to happen and I feel could return us for a SB win. All salary cap projections based off Spotac and OTC.

Our current team:
- Cut Waynes of course, save 11M to put our cap around 60M per OTC.
- Keep Hopkins right now but could change depending on cap savings needed. I feel confident keeping him with the cap we have as a back up, even though he's paid as an starter.
- One of the 3 rookies from last year will start. They spent too high of draft capital and need the reps. I just don't see them moving on from those 3 so fast. Honestly looking at Carmen and Smith to compete and best man win.

FA:
Sign Bates - projections are 5/70 and I'm confident with paying that. 14M APY
Sign James Daniels RG/OC 5/50. Young, proven, lacks injury history, scheme fit. Hard to believe Chicago let's him go but they do in this scenario. 10M APY
Sign Austin Corbett RG 4/35 Again, young, proven, lacks injury concerns, perfect scheme fit coming from LAR. Rams are in cap hell, this one is more likely.
Sign Morgan Moses 2/18 Coming off a prove it year with NYJ, offering a chance for a ring with considerable pay for a stop gap player in this range. Prefer Moses over Reiff for injury concerns but willing to swap for him in this scenario.

Draft:
1st - Kaiir Elam, CB Florida. Huge DB, perfectly set up as a zone coverage corner with some fluidity in his hips to play man when needed. Need fit with value. If FA works as I have it, no need to reach for developmental OT. If Green makes it here, I take him instead without hesitation but I don't see it as likely.
2nd - Travis Jones, 3T UConn. Big man put on a show at the Senior Bowl. Could work to develop his pass rushing some more but for 2nd round, I feel confident in his ability. Would prefer Perrion Winfrey but I feel like he would have to be taken rd 1 and I don't want to give up Elam for him. Could look at a rotational DT in FA too in case TJ isn't up to snuff yet.
3rd - Rasheed Walker, OT Penn St. Fluid athlete at 6'6" 325. Can sit here and develop into a starting LT (if Jonah leaves or moves to RT) or RT after Moses' contract is up. Perfect spot for a boom/bust player.
4th- Nick Cross, S Maryland. Hard hitting S with some ball skills. May not last this long but if he does, Vonn Bell back up/future replacement. Look at putting him at Gunner until he's ready, ala Taylor Mays.
5th - Calvin Austin III, WR Memphis - ST returned/4th WR.

Appreciate thoughts/suggestions on how this could be made better. Thank you all for your attention and #WhoDey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I forgot to put this, here's the projected starters for OL and players on D.

LT - J. Williams
LG - J. Carmen
C - J. Daniels
RG - A. Corbett
RT - M. Moses

3T - T. Jones

CB2 - K. Elam

FS - Bates
Reply/Quote
Nice job. Pretty close to what I hope for too. Addressing the o line like this allows for flexibility in the draft. My tweaks would be Jensen over Corbett. Mainly because it looks like Daniels has started to flourish as a guard. I would cut Hopkins to resign hill or Larry o.

Mccreary is another cb at 1 I could see. Jones is one of my favorite 2nd round targets if there. I could see a tight end at 3 if uzomah is not brought back.

Cole strange is a guard I’m hoping for in the middle rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:39 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Nice job.  Pretty close to what I hope for too.  Addressing the o line like this allows for flexibility in the draft.  My tweaks would be Jensen over Corbett.  Mainly because it looks like Daniels has started to flourish as a guard.  I would cut Hopkins to resign hill or Larry o.

Mccreary is another cb at 1 I could see.  Jones is one of my favorite 2nd round targets if there.  I could see a tight end at 3 if uzomah is not brought back.

Cole strange is a guard I’m hoping for in the middle rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to set it up with flexibility for those C/G spots. For the difference in price, I feel better with the value in Daniels/Corbett (especially with Corbett's experience with McVay) and the extra savings compared to Jensen allows 1 of, if not two, of your asked about players returning as well.
Reply/Quote
What's your plan for TE?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What's your plan for TE?

Honestly, TE being 4/5 option in our O puts it on my backburner. Would hope Uzo comes back on a respectable deal but after seeing that Njoku contract, I'm willing to go with a late pick depth player for the year. Sucks to say but sometimes it comes to business decisions in roles.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What's your plan for TE?

So, I hadn't looked at the TE FA class before your question, always thinking the lazy route of Uzo.

So, I'd first like to point out, love Uzo, want him back and could see it working but if he's going to demand 8M+/yr I'm likely going one of 3 other options:

OJ Howard for 3M/yr. Try to restart that career after he got buried behind Brate and Gronk. Low risk, high reward. Its a 4/5 option so I feel good about that.

Maxx Williams 3M/yr. Same as above for risk/reward.

Gronk 8M/yr. So, I feel confident with Gronks value for both his presence with blocking and catching. Hes already commented he wants to be here and I think he's just better (albeit how much) than Uzo. But he has the added value of the respect other DCs HAVE to give him. Would help free up the other 3.
Reply/Quote
I thought Travis Jones was more a NT than a 3T?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought Travis Jones was more a NT than a 3T?

I thought he looked good in Senior Bowl for that but everything I'm reading now is stating NT so I would have to update my mock. I like Drake Jackson as well for the 2nd to increase pass rush from the edge. We do at times put Hubbard at 3T. I also considered adding Soloman Thomas as a rotation for cheaper.
Reply/Quote
But thank you everyone for the constructive criticism. Helps a lot for any potential future mocks!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:44 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I thought he looked good in Senior Bowl for that but everything I'm reading now is stating NT so I would have to update my mock. I like Drake Jackson as well for the 2nd to increase pass rush from the edge. We do at times put Hubbard at 3T. I also considered adding Soloman Thomas as a rotation for cheaper.

Thanks. I was wondering if I was confusing him with someone else. I like Winfrey, too. I’m hoping they re-sign BJ Hill. And if they miss out on Winfrey, maybe they’re able to get Matthew Butler?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:44 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I thought he looked good in Senior Bowl for that but everything I'm reading now is stating NT so I would have to update my mock. I like Drake Jackson as well for the 2nd to increase pass rush from the edge. We do at times put Hubbard at 3T. I also considered adding Soloman Thomas as a rotation for cheaper.

DE Josh Paschal is good enough to move inside and play 3 T as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 02:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Thanks. I was wondering if I was confusing him with someone else. I like Winfrey, too. I’m hoping they re-sign BJ Hill. And if they miss out on Winfrey, maybe they’re able to get Matthew Butler?

Thats the UT from Tennessee right? I'll have to research them.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 08:52 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Hello all,

I want to preface this by stating this is a mock/fa mock that I feel has a strong chance to happen and I feel could return us for a SB win. All salary cap projections based off Spotac and OTC.

Our current team:
- Keep Hopkins right now but could change depending on cap savings needed. I feel confident keeping him with the cap we have as a back up, even though he's paid as an starter.
- One of the 3 rookies from last year will start. They spent too high of draft capital and need the reps. I just don't see them moving on from those 3 so fast. Honestly looking at Carmen and Smith to compete and best man win.

FA:
Sign James Daniels RG/OC 5/50. Young, proven, lacks injury history, scheme fit. Hard to believe Chicago let's him go but they do in this scenario. 10M APY
Sign Austin Corbett RG 4/35 Again, young, proven, lacks injury concerns, perfect scheme fit coming from LAR. Rams are in cap hell, this one is more likely.
Sign Morgan Moses 2/18 Coming off a prove it year with NYJ, offering a chance for a ring with considerable pay for a stop gap player in this range. Prefer Moses over Reiff for injury concerns but willing to swap for him in this scenario.

Draft:
1st - Kaiir Elam, CB Florida. Huge DB, perfectly set up as a zone coverage corner with some fluidity in his hips to play man when needed. Need fit with value. If FA works as I have it, no need to reach for developmental OT. If Green makes it here, I take him instead without hesitation but I don't see it as likely.
2nd - Travis Jones, 3T UConn. Big man put on a show at the Senior Bowl. Could work to develop his pass rushing some more but for 2nd round, I feel confident in his ability. Would prefer Perrion Winfrey but I feel like he would have to be taken rd 1 and I don't want to give up Elam for him. Could look at a rotational DT in FA too in case TJ isn't up to snuff yet.
3rd - Rasheed Walker, OT Penn St. Fluid athlete at 6'6" 325. Can sit here and develop into a starting LT (if Jonah leaves or moves to RT) or RT after Moses' contract is up. Perfect spot for a boom/bust player.
4th- Nick Cross, S Maryland. Hard hitting S with some ball skills. May not last this long but if he does, Vonn Bell back up/future replacement. Look at putting him at Gunner until he's ready, ala Taylor Mays.

Appreciate thoughts/suggestions on how this could be made better. Thank you all for your attention and #WhoDey

(03-03-2022, 08:55 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I forgot to put this, here's the projected starters for OL and players on D.

LT - J. Williams
LG - J. Carmen
C - J. Daniels
RG - A. Corbett
RT - M. Moses

3T - T. Jones

CB2 - K. Elam

FS - Bates

Absolutely love it. Fantastic FA and Draft. Hope this happens. Great job WVU. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Absolutely love it. Fantastic FA and Draft. Hope this happens. Great job WVU. Wink

Appreciate that Nate. Just hoping to make us better! I maybe have to examine some of the DL prospects better considering TJ is apparently not a 3T. Any suggestions?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:54 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Appreciate that Nate. Just hoping to make us better! I maybe have to examine some of the DL prospects better considering TJ is apparently not a 3T. Any suggestions?

Devonte Wyatt is my fave besides Travis but I doubt he makes it to our 2nd rounder.

It's all good bro, the studying up has just begun. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 08:52 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Hello all,

Our current team:

FA:

Draft:

I think overall it's pretty solid.
I think adding Daniels is a good move because he can play any IOL spot.
That way, you can either have Daniels for sure start at either LG or C.
If Carman is ready to take over at LG, Daniels can cover C.
If Carman isn't, then either Hopkins can take LG (his projected best position when he was drafted) or Daniels can while Hopkins stays at C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote