Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first mock ever w/ 2 FA additions
In a perfect world the Bengals will open their pocket books for Zac Taylor's first year as HC. They might not go after the biggest names in free agency, but they can add two quality starters if they want to.

In my scenario they sign RT Daryl Williams and OLB Kwon Alexander. That will really help open up the draft for the Bengals. It's speculated that the Bengals should receive multiple 6th round compensatory picks so I'll add them to this draft too.

Round 1. DT Ed Oliver - Houston

While I would love to have Devin White, I don't believe he will make it to the Bengals at 11. Oliver is an explosive pass rusher that can learn from the Atkins. Imagine having Dunlap, Atkins, Oliver and Lawson rushing the QB on third down. Also, Geno isn't getting any younger and Oliver will help ease the transition as Atkins gets older.

Round 2. LB Mack Wilson - Alabama

It's no secret the Bengals linebackers were awful last year. Opposing teams routinely picked on them. With Preston Brown and possibly Vontaze Burfict gone, the Bengals would be smart to bring in more than one linebacker. Kwon Alexander and Mack Wilson can help bring speed and tenacity to the middle of the field.

Round 3. TE Jace Sternberger - Texas A&M

With Tyler Eifert, Tyler Kroft and CJ Uzomah all free agents this year, the Bengals need to address the tight end position. While I believe they will resign at least one of them, that still leaves a big hole to fill. Enter Jace Sternberger. At 6'4 250 Sternberger is an underrated athlete who has soft hands and excels up the seam. Also a YAC monster. Caught 10 touchdowns last season. I can see him sneaking into the second round after the draft process is all said and done.

Round 4. G Ben Powers - Oklahoma

At 6'4 313lbs Powers is a physical blocker who doesn't shy away from contact. While he does need his technique refined a bit, he makes up for it with his power. Could be a mid round gem in the way that Clint Boling was. Should compete with Westerman for RG.

Round 5. RT Kaleb Mcgary - Washington

A monster of a right tackle at 6'7 318lbs, McGary turned heads at the Senior Bowl. Strong as an ox, he uses that strength to his advantage in the run game. Of all the picks I've made so far this one screams too late. There's a solid chance he goes earlier. If that's the case I'd have no problem flipping this pick and the Powers pick.

Round 6. QB Tyree Jackson - Buffalo

Tyree Jackson probably has the strongest arm in this draft class, but has concerning accuracy issues. He probably should have stayed another year at Buffalo. I'd love to see what Van Pelt could do with him.

Round 6. WR Terry McLaurin - Ohio State

Another guy who turned heads at the Senior Bowl. Precise route runner with burner speed. Can also be a special teams ace. He would make Cody Core and possibly Auden Tate dispensable.

Round 6. CB Jimmy Moreland - James Madison University

Whether or not the Bengals resign Dennard a team cannot have enough good corner. Moreland is a willing tackler and always has a knack for being around the ball despite being a smaller sized corner. Would be good option as nickel guy. Had 12 interceptions his last two years.

Round 7. RB Devine Ozigbo - Nebraska

One of my favorite late round prospects, Ozigbo wasn't invited to the combine which may cause him to fall to the draft. At 6'0 236lbs Ozigbo has great footwork and an above average burst when he hits the hole. The Mark Walton pick was a head-scratcher and even more so now with his off field issues. Ozigbo can take over as the third running back on the depth chart, but with even more upside than Walton. I believe he could even be a lead back in the NFL if injuries occurred to either Mixon or Bernard.
Reply/Quote
Oliver was projected to be top 5 pick so to snag him at 11th would be good value at a position of need. My only concern is waiting for the 5th round for RT. Maybe the Bengals can sign Brown or another FA at OT and grab another LB in FA as well.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 07:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Oliver was projected to be top 5 pick so to snag him at 11th would be good value at a position of need. My only concern is waiting for the 5th round for RT. Maybe the Bengals can sign Brown or another FA at OT and grab another LB in FA as well.

Before my mock I stated that in this scenario the Bengals signed both RT Daryl Williams and LB Kwon Alexander. Otherwise, I'd agree with everything you said.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:13 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Before my mock I stated that in this scenario the Bengals signed both RT Daryl Williams and LB Kwon Alexander. Otherwise, I'd agree with everything you said.

With only 4 OTs in the list of top 50 free agents, the bidding for them should be quite competitive.

Even with the knee injury, the Panthers are expecting Williams to be offered a contract they can't compete with.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2019/2/13/18222378/carolina-panthers-daryl-williams-highlights-the-dilemma-nfl-teams-face-with-the-salary-cap

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With only 4 OTs in the list of top 50 free agents, the bidding for them should be quite competitive.

I agree. Not saying they will go out and spend money but they absolutely should.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With only 4 OTs in the list of top 50 free agents, the bidding for them should be quite competitive.

Even with the knee injury, the Panthers are expecting Williams to be offered a contract they can't compete with.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2019/2/13/18222378/carolina-panthers-daryl-williams-highlights-the-dilemma-nfl-teams-face-with-the-salary-cap

(02-18-2019, 08:32 PM)MentalRage Wrote: I agree. Not saying they will go out and spend money but they absolutely should.

Is Williams really the right guy to spend the money on?  Virtually no starting experience, and then when he get's his shot, goes down for the year with a knee injury..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is Williams really the right guy to spend the money on?  Virtually no starting experience, and then when he get's his shot, goes down for the year with a knee injury..

It doesn't have to be Williams. All I'm saying is that they should spend money on a free agent RT. It will free up their draft board quite a bit. Unless you disagree with that?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:42 PM)MentalRage Wrote: It doesn't have to be Williams. All I'm saying is that they should spend money on a free agent RT. It will free up their draft board quite a bit. Unless you disagree with that?

I don't disagree, at all with the idea that we need a Tackle in free agency.  I just don't think that Williams is the man.  It's your mock and free agent thread, I'm not trying to dog on you.  Maybe just look up some of these guys, before you project the team spending money on them?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't disagree, at all with the idea that we need a Tackle in free agency.  I just don't think that Williams is the man.  It's your mock and free agent thread, I'm not trying to dog on you.  Maybe just look up some of these guys, before you project the team spending money on them?

That's fair. I tried to make this as realistic as possible in my opinion. Would I prefer if the Bengals signed a guy like Trent Brown? Absolutely. Do I think it's more realistic that they settle for someone like Williams who won't command as much money? Yes.
Reply/Quote
Oliver and Mack by themselves makes this a successful draft. I do not know how Glenn will perform next year but my expectations have decreased after last year's performance. The Bengals may need two OT for this upcoming year and at least two backers because I really feel Burfict is done.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Good mock. I do think just a couple of outside signings could go a long way for the Bengals this year. Let's say it is a Right Tackle and Linebacker like you mentioned then that would be great. Could also see Jordan Hicks (LB) and Jared Cooks (TE) or Alexander and Cooks being the additions. Then the draft is much more open like you mentioned and if the value is there then you take it regardless like you did with Oliver.

So many potential good options in the draft and this is a few of my favorites regardless of FA:

Jonah Williams, Mack Wilson, Isaac Nauta

Ed Oliver, Dalton Risner, Germaine Pratt

Devin White, Noah Fant, Will Grier
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I have gone on record many times, I'm not a fan of taking a DT at 11 because the drop off fro Quinnen Williams to the next group is substantial and the difference between DT2 and DT5 is negligible. Ed Oliver is Marcell Dareus to me, what you see coming out is what you get. He will flash some early but I think he is tapped out as you didn't see much if any improvement from last year to this year.

I think McGary is gone on day 2, I'd love to get him late but don't see him falling that far.
Reply/Quote
Kwon Alexander is an ILB, FWIW, although he has the range to play WILL too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Oliver, Wilson, Sternberger, and McGary would all be really good gets IMO.
I'd love an Alexander-Wilson pairing and seeing Oliver as nickel DT for a few years until time to replace Atkins. I think Sternberger is a sleeper at TE.
I'd still be a little nervous about the right side of the OL with Powers at RG based on research I've done on him (he's been good against Big 12 competition but really nothing spectacular to give confidence he'd become a good starter in NFL).

With that said, I'd love to see Westerman finally get a chance to start on the OL and/or see Price moved to RG and Hopkins start at C (assuming he were re-signed).
Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think an OL of Boling-Westerman-Hopkins-Price-Williams would be too bad if the team decided to move on from Glenn.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would love this....

I think Kwon Alexander has something to prove and plays with energy.

The drafting of Oliver, although I am dreaming of a "White" Christmas, would make a big impact on passing downs (aren't they all passing downs?) and he could rotate with Geno during base defense.

There is still a pretty big hole at NT, and I might look to fill that in FA, although I liked some of what I saw in limited action from Ringo last year. That spot is very important and we need to address it.
Reply/Quote
Those top 3 picks would be enough for me to be happy with this draft, love all 3 of those players.

Jace is probably my favorite TE in this draft but have seen he may go earlier than most think, but if he is around in round 3 then that would be great.

Any of the top FA OT's available outside of Donovan Smith who I think is gonna be super disappointing would be awesome.
Reply/Quote