Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first, my last, my everything mock
Only mock I'll do, so many scenarios with the Chase vs Sewell debate, trade down options and possibility they'll stress me out and take Slater outright at #5. I'm just going to do a two scenario mock for either Chase and Sewell, pretty much the same picks after the 2nd round. If there is no trade in the 1st, there could be one in the 2nd for extra picks. One scenario to keep an eye on is if they Chase #1 and a stud DE is there without a clear cut OL there in the 2nd. Would they dare wait until the 3rd to start drafting line? That scenario played out more than I wanted in mock simulators.

1. Penei Sewell T Oregon: He has some of the best tools and skills in ages, he'd be the star LT to carry them for decades. We've been thirsting for this type of player and a Burrow knee injury led to and should force you to take him. I still think Atlanta would be smart to take him at 4 for themselves. Sewell as a pulling guard his first year would pave first downs to a practice squad RB. He has the ability to smother the best pass rushers in the game. Burrow is going to try to extend the play until he stops playing, this enables him to do it on his terms.

2. Terrance Marshall WR LSU: If they go OL in the 1st, the league is ready for Marshall to be the pick in the 2nd. That may cause someone to leap them, but he makes too much sense. Chemistry with Burrow, size and speed to do what needs done on the outside. He's a bit inconsistent but for sure the ideal template. If he is gone, you look at a stud DE or BPA may be another WR, worst case Nico Collins.

3. Joe Tyron DE Pittsburgh: I wanted Payton Turner here, but nfl.com has him as the best true DE (as oppose to "edge"), so he may not be there in the 3rd if someone wants a balanced true DE. Tyron fits the bill of a 2nd round type talent that could slip to the top of the 3rd because he lacks refinement even as a rusher. The Bengals need rush guys, but will take them green with two starting DE on the roster. He has a big frame and can even drop back if need be.

4. Stone Forsythe T Florida: I lied, they deal a 6th to move up a few spots to get him. You may prefer more of a true G/C, but they may take a tackle as a premium position if there isn't a clear cut IOL. This would be a prime spot to double dip somewhere on the OL, even center as they just need more talent anywhere at this point. It wouldn't shock me if they could draft a player that would allow them to eat the rest of Price's contract even. I mean, go Bucks but the point is this slot may give you a better player than MJ or Price from day 1. Forsythe has obvious Bengal roots as his dad played for him, and he isn't ideal in a zone scheme but his overall talent and length as a pass blocker make him a great 3rd tackle option or someone to groom for a year.

5. Malcom Koonce EDGE Buffalo: Ideally you'd like a DT at some point but the class is thin there and edge rushers are plentiful. Koonce may be more of a 3-4 rusher, but even as a situational player the Bengals will gladly take his value here.

6. Javian Hawkins RB Louisville: There are a lot of little backs available in this range, one that would challenge the injury prone Williams as a 3rd down option here. Hawkins could end up with spot carries as a raw HR threat that is very zone scheme friendly as well. The better they make the OL, the less you force your backup RB's to block as well.

6b. Traded to move up in the 4th

7. Evan McPherson K Florida: The kicker class is rough, they may land the 2nd best prospect even in the 6th. Highly accurate inside 40yds and even punted. They could use some competition and could even take him a round early to secure him, or just sign a street FA after the draft (hopefully a vet) to compete.

Scenario B:

1. Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU: You don't have to hate one and love the other, Chase could be the pick here. I love the chemistry with Burrow but Chase's great vertical, catch radius and top level shifting make him worth the #5 pick. We've covered him pretty well here.

2. Alex Leatherwood T Alabama: I think Teven Jenkins and Landon Dickerson are gone by now. Leatherwood is a big name from a big school that doesn't wow me but he makes sense here. He'd have the chance to win a starting guard spot and be a default option at RT if RR leaves. He is versatile and fits the zone, but every report you read makes it a point to talk about his lack of fire.

That's it. I'm going with Scenario A, but if there is fire where the Chase talk is, I'm preparing for that pick too.
Reply/Quote