Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gut feeling...
(04-07-2019, 11:53 AM)McC Wrote: Well, I hope your gut feeling is just agita cuz I do not want to pass up on a defensive stud(and there will be at least one there) to take a QB.

Tbh the only QB I really feel could upgrade Dalton is Murray, and we're probably not getting him. So in short, I hope I'm wrong as well. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 01:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: TBH I don't know that the Bengals will really need to do anything to get people talking about them... if the Reds keep it up, Cincinnati sports fans will just naturally start looking forward to the next thing.

As for Haskins, it makes me nervous. I'm not as dead set against the idea of grabbing a QB as I have been in the past, but something about him just makes me feel uneasy. If ZT feels he's a perfect fit for what he wants to do on offense I'll differ to him, but as of now I don't like the pick.

The Bengals almost certainly think like you, as they have done very little to improve their roster this year.  They probably really believe that their lost fanbase is going to just run back like Old Yeller because they hired a new unproven HC.  LOL. 

Just like last year, when they thought bringing Marvin back wouldn't have an impact on fan investment, they will be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 12:13 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals almost certainly think like you, as they have done very little to improve their roster this year.  They probably really believe that their lost fanbase is going to just run back like Old Yeller because they hired a new unproven HC.  LOL. 

Just like last year, when they thought bringing Marvin back wouldn't have an impact on fan investment, they will be wrong.

It's not complicated.  It's actually very simple.  Win and they come back.  End of story.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 12:13 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals almost certainly think like you, as they have done very little to improve their roster this year.  They probably really believe that their lost fanbase is going to just run back like Old Yeller because they hired a new unproven HC.  LOL. 

The Bengals could've signed any free agent that was out there and people weren't going to buy tickets. The Bengals could draft any player in this draft in people won't by tickets. They'd be smart to realize that. People will still watch on TV, though. Win and they'll come back, but until they do nothing will matter.

I seem to recall the first three home games of the year being sell outs last year, and I seem to recall there being a ton of Bengals fan in Indy as well. It wasn't Marvin that kept them away, it was the losing.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 01:03 PM)NKURyan Wrote: The Bengals could've signed any free agent that was out there and people weren't going to buy tickets. The Bengals could draft any player in this draft in people won't by tickets. They'd be smart to realize that. People will still watch on TV, though. Win and they'll come back, but until they do nothing will matter.

I seem to recall the first three home games of the year being sell outs last year, and I seem to recall there being a ton of Bengals fan in Indy as well. It wasn't Marvin that kept them away, it was the losing.

You misremember, sir.  I was at the home opener.  Club level was a ghost town as it has been for a long time.  It was the most empty I've ever seen for a prime time game, and I've been to many.  I was fairly surprised at the number of empty seats that night.

The team reports a lot of sellouts.  They seem to use this term very loosely when you see these claims and look at the empty seats.  This has been the case ever since the league stopped the blackout policy for non-home sellouts.  

Indy was opening day so you're going to have a bit of excitement, particularly when you're playing a team 2 hours away.  Not really an indicator of anything.

You're right to say that they won't come back regardless if they don't win.  I'm gonna go ahead and let you in on a secret:  They're going to suck again. The o-line and linebacking corps were demonstrably awful.  Like among the worst in the league awful.  Still no effort at all to change this.  If they put the same effort into finding better players as they do into creating propaganda to make guys like Hart and Miller seem like long-term answers, maybe they'd be in a better place.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We've had a really boring off-season outside of Zac Taylor. What's the only thing we could do in the draft that would make people forget whiffing on Jack Del Rio or that BW Webb was our biggest signing? Something that would get even casual fans talking about the Bengals?

A new QB.

Walter's latest mock has us taking Haskins, but this guy points out flaws in Haskins' game that are things Dalton critics have complained about for years. Namely, a mediocre deep ball and inaccuracy when his feet aren't set:

So if we go QB and Murray isn't an option, who do you guys prefer out of the rest?
People should research the deep ball ability of Dalton I guess. The numbers do not bear out the complaints hate to break it to them. Here is a link for those that like to complain about his deep ball ability..

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/2/17188798/andy-dalton-is-a-better-deep-ball-passer-than-you-realize
Reply/Quote
So A new coaching staff is "doing nothing"?

C'mon guys.  I've been hearing for years about how no other moves mattered as long as we did not replace Marvin, and how we had to change our head coach before fans would have any hope.  Now that we have changed the head coach and both coordinators it is considreed "nothing that will excite fans".

But, that being said, Kiper has us taking Drew Lock.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 01:30 PM)samhain Wrote: You misremember, sir.  I was at the home opener.  Club level was a ghost town as it has been for a long time.  It was the most empty I've ever seen for a prime time game, and I've been to many.  I was fairly surprised at the number of empty seats that night.

The team reports a lot of sellouts.  They seem to use this term very loosely when you see these claims and look at the empty seats.  This has been the case ever since the league stopped the blackout policy for non-home sellouts.  

Indy was opening day so you're going to have a bit of excitement, particularly when you're playing a team 2 hours away.  Not really an indicator of anything.

You're right to say that they won't come back regardless if they don't win.  I'm gonna go ahead and let you in on a secret:  They're going to suck again. The o-line and linebacking corps were demonstrably awful.  Like among the worst in the league awful.  Still no effort at all to change this.  If they put the same effort into finding better players as they do into creating propaganda to make guys like Hart and Miller seem like long-term answers, maybe they'd be in a better place.  

I went back and looked up the attendance figure and you are correct, it was much lower than I expected. Those attendance figures did go up over the next two home games, though, which at least suggests that Marvin's presence didn't have all that much to do with it one way or the other - it was wins and losses. We'll see if these fans who were supposedly turned off solely by Marvin's return come back to see the new coaching staff (spoiler: they won't).

As for your little "secret", I think most people anticipate just that, though some of us are at least holding on to a little optimism. I don't necessarily expect them to be good next year, though I think there's at least a chance. In the end, it all goes back to the point I've made elsewhere - it's not often that bad teams turn in to good teams through free agency alone, and if the Bengals are going to struggle I don't see the point in signing a bunch of guys who probably aren't going to make a difference one way or the other. I've compared it to what the Reds did - the Reds were bad, they went out and were active in free agency to try to stir up fan interest, the Reds are still bad, and nobody cares. And most people could see that coming from a mile away! It is possible that the Bengals are taking a more long-term approach and that's why they've been relatively quiet.

Hell, the fact that this thread is suggesting that they might draft a QB furthers supports that - if they do it, they're doing it with the expectation that they're not going to compete next year, in which case some of these 1, 2, and 3 year free agent deals some people around here were jealous of wouldn't have accomplished much of anything. Free agency is (IMO) primarily a tool to help teams that are close get over the hump. The Bengals should have been all-in on free agency in, say, the 2015 offseason... I'm not going to kill them for not doing so now when they're at a low point.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But, that being said, Kiper has us taking Drew Lock.

I just cannot see that happening at all. I would seriously be shocked, and I'm going in to this draft expecting that just about anything can happen.

I don't think Kiper has the best track record with keeping his fingers on the pulse of the Bengals, either.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 04:30 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I just cannot see that happening at all. I would seriously be shocked, and I'm going in to this draft expecting that just about anything can happen.

I don't think Kiper has the best track record with keeping his fingers on the pulse of the Bengals, either.

Kiper is almost always wrong.

I take it as a sign we won't take a QB if Kiper says we are...
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 12:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh the only QB I really feel could upgrade Dalton is Murray, and we're probably not getting him. So in short, I hope I'm wrong as well. 

So you don't think the best QB in the draft could upgrade Dalton but Murray could? Not very sound logic.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So A new coaching staff is "doing nothing"?

C'mon guys.  I've been hearing for years about how no other moves mattered as long as we did not replace Marvin, and how we had to change our head coach before fans would have any hope.  Now that we have changed the head coach and both coordinators it is considreed "nothing that will excite fans".

But, that being said, Kiper has us taking Drew Lock.

If you have not noticed by now there is a vast amount of "fans" that will gripe about anything and everything. The Bengals could win a Super Bowl by 14 and they would gripe that they should have won by 21.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 07:53 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So you don't think the best QB in the draft could upgrade Dalton but Murray could? Not very sound logic.

I disagree with you a whole lot, lol.  I agree with you here.  I don't get the recent trend of Haskins hate.  When the college football season ended, hardly anyone disputed that he was the best qb in the draft, even if Kyler did come out.  This was fresh off of watching him play a full season.  

What exactly has changed since then?  Kyler was a guy that was too short and would go maybe in 2.  Now he's the guaranteed first pick, and Haskins is chopped liver.  None of this is related to play.  It's all hype and talk, and probably a lot of lies.  

This may not be the strongest draft for quarterbacks, but FWIW, I think Haskins is still the number 1 guy there.  If the Bengals got him, I'd be okay with it and surprised as hell that he fell that far.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 08:39 PM)samhain Wrote: I disagree with you a whole lot, lol.  I agree with you here.  I don't get the recent trend of Haskins hate.  When the college football season ended, hardly anyone disputed that he was the best qb in the draft, even if Kyler did come out.  This was fresh off of watching him play a full season.  

What exactly has changed since then?  Kyler was a guy that was too short and would go maybe in 2.  Now he's the guaranteed first pick, and Haskins is chopped liver.  None of this is related to play.  It's all hype and talk, and probably a lot of lies.  

This may not be the strongest draft for quarterbacks, but FWIW, I think Haskins is still the number 1 guy there.  If the Bengals got him, I'd be okay with it and surprised as hell that he fell that far.

I am a Dalton fan but if Haskins is there at #11 I have no issue at all with the Bengals selection him. If we are starting a new era than let's do it. Haskins is a special talent with an outstanding arm and to boot is a quality young man.
Reply/Quote
It's not the coaching staff that I worry about doing things - it's the front office and they haven't changed their approach one bit.

The ONE thing I always rememberer is the comment that Mike Brown said years ago when he passed up on the Saints entire draft to take Akili Smith at #3.

"When you get a chance to take a franchise QB, you do it"

IF there's a guy at #11 that Mike Brown thinks is a franchise guy, he's taking a QB. That being said, I'm not convinced that there's a franchise guy in this draft.
Reply/Quote
I know we have some OSU homers on here, but the consensus is that Murray is the best QB in this draft. Many don't even think Haskins is close.

@Fred - I said nothing outside of hiring Taylor. Most people weren't thrilled with the rest of the staff hires and our free agency was a snooze fest. I get that you love to argue, but I'm not wrong.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My jump for glee if a QB would be Murray, but also have no issue with Lock. I think Lock will grow into a great NFL QB. I like AD, but sometimes a change helps and AD has some trade value as well if we draft Lock.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am a Dalton fan but if Haskins is there at #11 I have no issue at all with the Bengals selection him. If we are starting a new era than let's do it. Haskins is a special talent with an outstanding arm and to boot is a quality young man.

My issue with Haskins is his lack of mobility and stiffness in the pocket. My fear is with an average or bad OL he gets killed and becomes a turnover machine. He had great protection and time to throw at OSU, he won't as a Bengal QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 03:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Fred - I said nothing outside of hiring Taylor. Most people weren't thrilled with the rest of the staff hires and our free agency was a snooze fest. I get that you love to argue, but I'm not wrong.

And for years I was told that we did not need anything "outside of" getting rid of Marvin and bringing in new coaches.

Just kind of proves my point about how the people who love to complain just keep moving the target.  They all claimed they would be happy with "anyone but Marvin", but they have not even made it 3 months before complaining about something else.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And for years I was told that we did not need anything "outside of" getting rid of Marvin and bringing in new coaches.

Just kind of proves my point about how theye people who love to complain just keep moving the target.  They all claimed they would be happy with "anyone but Marvin", but they have not even made it 3 months before complaining about something else.

You're just setting up a strawman to knock down. Plenty wanted Marvin gone, but I don't think anyone said "if we dump Marv, I'll be happy even if everything else remains status quo".

Were you personally excited by our non-Taylor staff hires or our free agent moves?
Reply/Quote