Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My guy! Quinn Meinerz
Ok, so amid the fervor of the 1st round maelstrom we haven't talked too much yet on later guys.  1 guy who I could not have picked out of a crowd before has become "my guy", and I am not alone in this.  Quinn Meinerz stole the show at the Senior Bowl not just with his personality but with a dominant performance.  Like most people I first heard of him through his now famous "Canada Workout" video.  I really liked his commitment and personal drive. 

The more I read about him, and interviews with him, the more I became convinced that this is the kind of guy you build your O-line's identity around. Relentless, tough, hard working, and glad to be busting ass.  The few knocks I had seen were his athleticism and level of competition. 

Well, he answered the level of competition question at the senior bowl, and his work out answered the athleticism question. According the RAS metrics Quinn Meinerz has the 6th highest athletic grade. Not 6th highest for Guards/Centers but for everyone so far this year. Higher than Jamin Davis, Jayson Oweh, and Ja'Marr Chase.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=19467

From what I have read his projected selection  is between the 80th and 105th pick.  I had previously joked about taking him with our 2nd but hopefully it looks like he could be had with our 3rd.  I have a suspicion if the Bengals want him they may have to trade up into the bottom of the 2nd just to be sure as Miami has been linked to him

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I've been all in on this guy since the Senior Bowl. He was the big bully on the playground!
Reply/Quote
Quinn Meinerz highlights:

In this video he's matched against the following guys...

0:00 Jashawn Witt, UW-Stevens Point, 5-11 260, DL. *FWIW, 2019 All-Conference First Team.
0:12 Patrick Jones II, Pittsburgh, 6-5 250. DE/DT.
0:18 Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA, 6-2 279. DT.
0:31 Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame, 6-3 270. Edge.
(0:36 - 0:49 Can't tell.)
Reply/Quote
I like Meinerz, and he's drawing a good bit of attention since showing out Senior Bowl week. Some may question his RAS, because he didn't bench, and many consider that a vital metric in evaluating OL. I do not put much stock in BP reps at a light weight, in fact I wish they would go to a hang clean or full power clean as the athletic strength barometer for OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 02:44 PM)Burma Wrote: Ok, so amid the fervor of the 1st round maelstrom we haven't talked too much yet on later guys.  1 guy who I could not have picked out of a crowd before has become "my guy", and I am not alone in this.  Quinn Meinerz stole the show at the Senior Bowl not just with his personality but with a dominant performance.  Like most people I first heard of him through his now famous "Canada Workout" video.  I really liked his commitment and personal drive. 

The more I read about him, and interviews with him, the more I became convinced that this is the kind of guy you build your O-line's identity around. Relentless, tough, hard working, and glad to be busting ass.  The few knocks I had seen were his athleticism and level of competition. 

Well, he answered the level of competition question at the senior bowl, and his work out answered the athleticism question. According the RAS metrics Quinn Meinerz has the 6th highest athletic grade. Not 6th highest for Guards/Centers but for everyone so far this year. Higher than Jamin Davis, Jayson Oweh, and Ja'Marr Chase.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=19467

From what I have read his projected selection  is between the 80th and 105th pick.  I had previously joked about taking him with our 2nd but hopefully it looks like he could be had with our 3rd.  I have a suspicion if the Bengals want him they may have to trade up into the bottom of the 2nd just to be sure as Miami has been linked to him

Steelers will take him in the 2nd is what I have been hearing. I would be just fine with taking Meinerz at 38 honestly.

He is my guy too, and Sled's and numerous other posters. He is raw but he shown he can go against the best Ends in this 
Draft at the Senior Bowl and hold his own. He is a seek and destroy Guard that can also play Center. We need IOL and this 
guy fits and I don't want to see him on the Steelers. Meinerz and Sewell would be a great start to the Draft.

Also would love Pitts, Meinerz and Spencer Brown, maybe even more...
Reply/Quote
Meinerz' rise reminds me of Josh Jones from last year. UW Whitewater is obviously smaller than Houston but they're both smaller school prospects that really entered the spotlight at the Senior Bowl, both physically gifted players, both need work on their technique with questions about whether they'll be ready day 1 to play in the NFL or if they need a year or so to learn and both of them getting more and more hype as the draft approaches.

In 2020, we were clamoring for Jones at 33 because we were in shock he was still there after the first round. Then, when he was still there halfway through the 2nd, we were again clamoring for him. Then, the third round came out and a lot of us were basically positive he was the pick....He eventually went #72 to Arizona in the third round.

I am not saying that Meinerz will definitely go lower than some places are projecting him (the early 2nd round), but I think it's a decent chance. These Senior bowl come up prospects can sometimes get hyped a little too high. A lot of coaches are looking for day 1 impact players in the first few rounds because they may not be around for a player's 3rd season when they finally achieve their full potential. This is the same reason injured prospects usually get downgraded. Year 1 impact matters to NFL coaches whose jobs are on the line. Coaches and GMs are often under a lot of pressure to produce now and that requires players that are ready now. That may be a reason Meinerz will go lower than many think he should.

I wouldn't mind Meinerz in the 3rd or maybe 4th round though.
Reply/Quote
His athleticism seems ideal for the wide zone they want to run. I wouldn't be upset at all if they took him in 2, depending on who was still available.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 05:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like Meinerz, and he's drawing a good bit of attention since showing out Senior Bowl week.  Some may question his RAS, because he didn't bench, and many consider that a vital metric in evaluating OL.  I do not put much stock in BP reps at a light weight, in fact I wish they would go to a hang clean or full power clean as the athletic strength barometer for OL.

I think a front squat or "thruster", ie front squat-to-overhead press would be ideal.  You'd really get to see how they put upper/lower body strength together from an athleticism standpoint.  
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 03:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think a front squat or "thruster", ie front squat-to-overhead press would be ideal.  You'd really get to see how they put upper/lower body strength together from an athleticism standpoint.  

I could go for that, so long as the weight is cleaned from the floor, and not taken from the rack.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could go for that, so long as the weight is cleaned from the floor, and not taken from the rack.

Never did front squats back when I played.  How does that compare to a traditional squat in a measure of leg strength? Saw a guy at the gym doing those and I was thinking how much healthier my neck would be if we had done those.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 07:04 PM)Burma Wrote: Never did front squats back when I played.  How does that compare to a traditional squat in a measure of leg strength? Saw a guy at the gym doing those and I was thinking how much healthier my neck would be if we had done those.

Forces more core muscle engagement, puts a lot of lower body emphasis on glutes and quads.  As opposed to the rear squat being more hamstring dominate.  If you want a powerful forward burst, as you lean into your first step, front squat is the way to go.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Quinn Meinerz might be a nice depth signing if you know what I’m saying. As an interesting aside I’ve been to Warhawk Stadium at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater numerous times.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 07:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Forces more core muscle engagement, puts a lot of lower body emphasis on glutes and quads.  As opposed to the rear squat being more hamstring dominate.  If you want a powerful forward burst, as you lean into your first step, front squat is the way to go.

Yeah, plus it's better  mechanically for a lot of people like me who were born with long femurs that make back squats a bit tougher on the knees, but I digress.  They will show quickly what kind of stability you have when the upper back starts compensating for the shoulder girdle wanting to lean forward on the first rep or so.  

I'd be down with the clean from the floor to press as you suggest.  Cleans will show anyone in sort order who'd gym-strong and who's got real athletic burst and mechanics.  My roommate in college was a linebacker on EKU's football team.  He was more of a "star" back as they call them now.  Only about 201, but strong for his size.  Really fast.  I was stronger than him on all 3 basic lifts, sometimes by a lot.  When it came down to cleans, however, it wasn't even close.  He could pick up about 350 and pull it from the floor, then in nanosecond drop right under it and stand up.  I couldn't do it for my life, or anything close, because I'm not nearly that explosive.  
Reply/Quote
For some reason, Meinerz reminds me of Will Hernandez, the OG who came from UTEP back in 2018.
Guy who dominated his competition but played in a weaker conference (division in Meinerz's case).
Boosted his stock in post-season events, but still poses risk making the jump from weaker conference/division to pros.

I'd be fine with Meinerz as early as the 3rd, but he's too risky for me to spend a 2nd rounder on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 06:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Steelers will take him in the 2nd is what I have been hearing. I would be just fine with taking Meinerz at 38 honestly.

He is my guy too, and Sled's and numerous other posters. He is raw but he shown he can go against the best Ends in this 
Draft at the Senior Bowl and hold his own. He is a seek and destroy Guard that can also play Center. We need IOL and this 
guy fits and I don't want to see him on the Steelers. Meinerz and Sewell would be a great start to the Draft.

Also would love Pitts, Meinerz and Spencer Brown, maybe even more...

I doubt he makes it out the second.

Look at Ali Marpet; same thing, basically (save Hobart is not the football powerhouse of Div. III that WW is).

I'd take him in a heartbeat (in the 2nd).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 04:34 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've been all in on this guy since the Senior Bowl. He was the big bully on the playground!

I want this dude on the OL or as the fullback where ever we can get him on the field lol   (send him to catch a pass as a TE even)
Reply/Quote
I want interior line in the 2nd no matter what we take at 5.

I'd be happy with Dickerson (who I don't think will be there) or Meinerz. Both bullies who are smart.
Reply/Quote
With ocho on this ( after the 2nd would be a better choice), makes a good story for social media though, but think without the senior bowl week, if we drafted him at 38, people would be picking up their pitchforks in droves.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I doubt he makes it out the second.

Look at Ali Marpet; same thing, basically (save Hobart is not the football powerhouse of Div. III that WW is).

I'd take him in a heartbeat (in the 2nd).

If we went Sewell then Meinerz with the first 2 picks people sure wouldn't be saying we are ignoring the OL...
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we went Sewell then Meinerz with the first 2 picks people sure wouldn't be saying we are ignoring the OL...

I'd be very happy with that combination.  Then maybe someone like Eskridge in the third...
Reply/Quote