Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My number 1 concern after the cleveland game
My number one concern is that the Bengals still have no semblance of a running game. We are not able to move the ball consistently on anybody yet by running it. That will come back to bite us in the azz if it doesn't change.
Reply/Quote
I hadn't seen this thread yet. If we beat buffalo I'll still have hope
Reply/Quote
Oh there's little doubt our lack of a running game is one of our very top problems. And I think our blocking technique is a huge part of what's wrong. We get no drive, no push from our line - at all ! The DL is 4 yards deep in our backfield on 3 out of 4 plays.

There's way less than zero chances this team is going anywhere unless this is fixed and I doubt that's possible this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh there's little doubt our lack of a running game is one of our very top problems. And I think our blocking technique is a  huge part of what's wrong. We get no drive, no push from our line - at all ! The DL is 4 yards deep in our backfield on 3 out of 4 plays.

There's way less than zero chances this team is going anywhere unless this is fixed and I doubt that's possible this season.

It use to be all Hill's fault the way some people took such a disliking to him. But Mixon is averaging only 2.6 ypc this year. That's worse than any of Hill's first 3 years. And Gio isn't the answer at RB. We've already seen what he's like between the tackles with a bad line. He's better on passing downs in space.

This OL just blows. They gave up 3 more sacks yesterday to a last place team. Just bad. And that's with Oggieboggie boy only getting 40% of the snaps.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh there's little doubt our lack of a running game is one of our very top problems. And I think our blocking technique is a  huge part of what's wrong. We get no drive, no push from our line - at all ! The DL is 4 yards deep in our backfield on 3 out of 4 plays.

In a way I agree about the overall technique. Havent been a fan of it for years. 

But at same time the talent level on the line just blows for run blocking regardless of technique. Andre and Boling are the only two above average run blockers they have. The other 4 just cant get a push at all. As soon as they fire off the line, it's a giant stalement. And the o-lineman have the advantage to boot as they know the snap count and what play it is.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In a way I agree about the overall technique. Havent been a fan of it for years. 

But at same time the talent level on the line just blows for run blocking regardless of technique. Andre and Boling are the only two above average run blockers they have. The other 4 just cant get a push at all. As soon as they fire off the line, it's a giant stalement. And the o-lineman have the advantage to boot as they know the snap count and what play it is.

Agreed..lack of running game is the symptom not the cause.  The cause being what you say.

Seen enough videos, GIFs, etc where the whole line appears to be getting swamped and bullied...the total line run blocking has not been consistently good in a couple of seasons at least.

I know Ced gets a lot of grief and its deserved - especially in pass pro but I think Bodine is hugely culpable in the run game - the center of the line just collapses at times and even if his man does not get the runner often the play is dead , misdirected before it even gets going
Reply/Quote
So the Browns pay the second highest cap for their lineman, and their running game is doo-doo as well.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Well, when you have a terrible O-line, you will have no running game.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, when you have a terrible O-line, you will have no running game.

Yep. Our running game is going to be below average until we actually get a good Center. I'd settle for an above average Center.
Reply/Quote
This is why we should have traded up into the second to get pat elflien
Reply/Quote
The way this season has unfolded so far I wouldn't be shocked if we blow out Buffalo and have at least one back gain 100 yards and Andy throws 5 TD passes.. or that it goes the other way around and we get blown out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2017, 12:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: The way this season has unfolded so far I wouldn't be shocked if we blow out Buffalo and have at least one back gain 100 yards and Andy throws 5 TD passes.. or that it goes the other way around and we get blown out..

I sincerely doubt we do that to Buffalo. 

That being said, they've beaten two good teams (one without any of their firepower). They narrowly lost to Carolina (who has the worst scoring offense in Football) and beat the Jets by 9. The last two wins have been impressive, mainly the Denver game...but I still don't see us destroying them. We will definitely need Andy at full potential. I could see them pushing for Andy to throw the rock, and crowding the line of scrimmage. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 09:13 PM)Jpoore Wrote: This is why we should have traded up into the second to get pat elflien

We didn't need to trade up, he was there.  Didn't Vikings take him with very next selection?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2017, 12:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: The way this season has unfolded so far I wouldn't be shocked if we blow out Buffalo and have at least one back gain 100 yards and Andy throws 5 TD passes.. or that it goes the other way around and we get blown out..

That would be great for my fantasy team...

I don't think we destroy teams. Even with the Browns, Marv was giving them chances to catch up. I wish we would have kept destroying the Packers, but that was embarrassing. If something is working, why change? I get the progression of the game with time, and blah, blah, blah, but damn, teams like that (or any team anymore) you get a lead, stop easing up the peddle, throttle down, play the full 60 minutes. I'm just over the conservationists, I won't be ashamed if we play full tilt, and lost, but just know that we went out guns blazing. jmo Marv will never be cut-throat, and it has been off-putting. Limitations of 'just-winning', teams know if they play us, they get behind, they know more against any other team, if there is still time on the clock, they have a chance to win...the league knows this, and I find it sickening.

Sorry, grampahol, just needed a vent post, in no way you don't know this, every Bengal fan, league, whatever knows this, and it really is just blah. 

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
Doesnt matter who is running the ball, the o line has no push. No running game because of that
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 09:13 PM)Jpoore Wrote: This is why we should have traded up into the second to get pat elflien

I went to Ohio State. Why don't you ever sing my praises?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The only running game we have is the opposing defense running into Dalton. But hey, must be retro because it's like the 90s all over again.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Since Paul Alexander has been our OLine coach, we've always been at or near the bottom of the league in yards per carry. I did the numbers on this a few months back. I can't find the thread where I posted them. He does ok with pass pro schemes, but our Oline seldom gets it done for our RBs. I guess he figures anybody can run block, so we draft guys who specialize in pass protection. Whatever the reason, we're not getting it done, and it's not just this season.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote