Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My observations from the Denver game
I was at the game in person and have not rewatched it but here's what I remember:

1. A team that came out fired up and ready to play, i.e. opening drive with Hill running all over the place and then almost instantly lost their steam.
2. A complete BS call on Jones, that was not a fumble, he was clearly down. I will say that at least the NFL is being consistent on screwing the Bengals. There is going to have to be no one within 10 yards of a Bengals player that fumbles with 20 different camera angles showing it for a call to be overturned on the field for us. I think the biggest problem with the rule is the throwing common sense out the window interpretation of "indisputable" evidence to overturn a call on the field.
3. A Denver team that very quickly adjusted to the fact that we were stacking back so we could run the ball. Zampese might as well have been standing on the Denver sideline after that telling him what he was going to do.
4. A secondary that seemed to be playing scared. My buddy next to me kept saying they looked they were just playing to not lose.
5. A undisciplined Defense. By this I mean I made the comment to my buddy about the Bengals D seeing the need to hit a Denver player on every single play when there was an incompletion. If a pass is obviously not going to be completed or was clearly incomplete quickly why hit the other team every time? I get sending message but all it does is keep the refs on their toes to give the already highly publicized Bengals a penalty. It's not good when you're watching the game and you have to hold your breath after every incompletion that a stupid penalty could happen. Doesn't need to happen every single play.
6. Flashbacks of scared Andy from years past, running when he should be throwing. This is very troublesome to me, I saw this in the Steelers game too, he just seems more jittery this year, hope he gets over it soon. I get the 0-Line has been sucking but there have also been times were he missed open receivers.
7. For being the home opener I was shocked how quiet the Bengal crowd was and how many Denver fans were there and were very loud. I was in sec 111 (opposite side of Denver sideline) and could hear them. I'm not just talking about the end when they went up, they were loud the whole game. On Denver 3rd downs people were taking forever to stand up or not standing up at all and making noise for the Bengals D. The energy just felt like it wasn't there.
8. Lack of emotion from the Bengals players on and off the field. Jones showed emotion, he always does, but I didn't see other Bengals players getting fired up and holding each other accountable on the sidelines at all. I guess you can say that starts with Marvin (as he never does this) but damn, I thought I would see some fire in some bellies.

Anyway these are just my personal observations, take them FWTW. Hope we get our heads together for tomorrow night and start to take the games more seriously. I still believe we will make the playoffs and turn these issues around, Who Dey!
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Hard to throw to guys when they cant get open or do not run the right routes ala Green's own admission.

This was simply put a sloppy game on D with a lot of plays left on the field.
This is a team that has not figured out how to capitalize on chances and mistakes made by opponents yet.

They can get right tomorrow in a big way.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't at the game. Only watched it on tv. I saw a close game, anybody's game, until the 4th quarter.

Once the Bengals went ahead, the key drive happened by Denver in the 4th, specifically with short passes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The refs flagging our D so much on Denvers first drive seemed to change the momentum a lot. Those penalties were very ticky tack.
Reply/Quote
Hard for "jittery" Andy not to be "running when he should be throwing" when he's trying to avoid sacs because the Oline is playing like a turnstyle...
Reply/Quote
while the D did get torched they had another couple INTs they dropped that would have drastically changed the game I think
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 02:54 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I was at the game in person and have not rewatched it but here's what I remember:

1. A team that came out fired up and ready to play, i.e. opening drive with Hill running all over the place and then almost instantly lost their steam.
2. A complete BS call on Jones, that was not a fumble, he was clearly down. I will say that at least the NFL is being consistent on screwing the Bengals. There is going to have to be no one within 10 yards of a Bengals player that fumbles with 20 different camera angles showing it for a call to be overturned on the field for us. I think the biggest problem with the rule is the throwing common sense out the window interpretation of "indisputable" evidence to overturn a call on the field.
3. A Denver team that very quickly adjusted to the fact that we were stacking back so we could run the ball. Zampese might as well have been standing on the Denver sideline after that telling him what he was going to do.
4. A secondary that seemed to be playing scared. My buddy next to me kept saying they looked they were just playing to not lose.
5. A undisciplined Defense. By this I mean I made the comment to my buddy about the Bengals D seeing the need to hit a Denver player on every single play when there was an incompletion. If a pass is obviously not going to be completed or was clearly incomplete quickly why hit the other team every time? I get sending  message but all it does is keep the refs on their toes to give the already highly publicized Bengals a penalty. It's not good when you're watching the game and you have to hold your breath after every incompletion that a stupid penalty could happen. Doesn't need to happen every single play.
6. Flashbacks of scared Andy from years past, running when he should be throwing. This is very troublesome to me, I saw this in the Steelers game too, he just seems more jittery this year, hope he gets over it soon. I get the 0-Line has been sucking but there have also been times were he missed open receivers.
7. For being the home opener I was shocked how quiet the Bengal crowd was and how many Denver fans were there and were very loud. I was in sec 111 (opposite side of Denver sideline) and could hear them. I'm not just talking about the end when they went up, they were loud the whole game. On Denver 3rd downs people were taking forever to stand up or not standing up at all and making noise for the Bengals D. The energy just felt like it wasn't there.
8. Lack of emotion from the Bengals players on and off the field. Jones showed emotion, he always does, but I didn't see other Bengals players getting fired up and holding each other accountable on the sidelines at all. I guess you can say that starts with Marvin (as he never does this) but damn, I thought I would see some fire in some bellies.

Anyway these are just my personal observations, take them FWTW. Hope we get our heads together for tomorrow night and start to take the games more seriously. I still believe we will make the playoffs and turn these issues around, Who Dey!
Everyone saw the exact same thing, some just dont accept it. Great review.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 07:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hard for "jittery" Andy not to be "running when he should be throwing" when he's trying to avoid sacs because the Oline is playing like a turnstyle...

That was true some of the time, other times it was Andy missing open receivers.

(09-29-2016, 11:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: while the D did get torched they had another couple INTs they dropped that would have drastically changed the game I think

Fair point, I did forget about that.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 07:47 AM)djam Wrote: Thhe refs flagging our D so much on Denvers first drive seemed to change the momentum a lot. Those penalties were very ticky tack.

This is exactly how I felt. It seemed to take the air out of the team and the stadium. 
Reply/Quote