Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My realistic best-case scenario for improving the roster
When I say realistic, I'm taking into account how the Bengals do things. I'm not going to forecast them signing Bell and Berry in free agency.

1 ) We draft 2 starters in the draft. (Typically we don't draft any Day 1 starters so this is a big improvement.) I'll say we add Rueben Foster and a starting C that is an upgrade to Bodine.

2 ) We keep Zeitler and Whitworth and leave Kirkpatrick leave. The salary cap keeps rising and Whitworth will only be here 1 or 2 more years so it's doable. (Offensive line is Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, Drafted C, Fisher.)

3 ) Maualuga is waived.

4 ) Jackson and Vigil become starters. Billings becomes a solid rotation player at DT. (Linebackers are Vigil, Foster, and Burfict.)

5 ) We add a guy in the 2nd Round with the pick obtained at #7 that can pass rush from the DE spot. He's not a starter Year 1, but a situational rusher.

6 ) Sign Stephon Gilmore or Prince Amakumara to be a starting CB. (Amakumara signed a 1 year $5.5 million deal with the Jaguars. We paid Kirkpatrick around $7.5 million...so it's doable.) I like Ross Cockrell from the Steelers also.

7 ) Trade McCarron for a 2nd and 4th Round pick.

8 ) Retain Lafell and Burkhead. Rely on Boyd and Core to continue development at WR. Let Burkhead, Hill, and Bernard compete for snaps. Ideally the offensive line is improved with a Center.

9 ) Draft a QB that you can develop somewhere in the 3rd to 5th Round.

10 ) Draft a kicker. Hold a competition in camp to see who can win the job.

11 ) Sign Nick Fairley. He has signed back to back 1 year deals...and has played well. Offer him a 2-3 year deal. We'd then pair Fairley with Atkins with Billings, Thompson, and Sims as the backups.

12 ) Bring in a veteran TE like Vernon Davis. I feel like our offense needs more experience at backup at that position.

13 ) Bring in a coverage safety like DJ Swearinger to compete with Williams at S. On some downs, move Williams down like a LB to add speed to the defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When I say realistic, I'm taking into account how the Bengals do things. I'm not going to forecast them signing Bell and Berry in free agency.

1 ) We draft 2 starters in the draft. (Typically we don't draft any Day 1 starters so this is a big improvement.) I'll say we add Rueben Foster and a starting C that is an upgrade to Bodine.

2 ) We keep Zeitler and Whitworth and leave Kirkpatrick leave. The salary cap keeps rising and Whitworth will only be here 1 or 2 more years so it's doable. (Offensive line is Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, Drafted C, Boling, Fisher.)

3 ) Maualuga is waived.

4 ) Jackson and Vigil become starters. Billings becomes a solid rotation player at DT. (Linebackers are Vigil, Foster, and Burfict.)

5 ) We add a guy in the 2nd Round with the pick obtained at #7 that can pass rush from the DE spot. He's not a starter Year 1, but a situational rusher.

6 ) Sign Stephon Gilmore or Prince Amakumara to be a starting CB. (Amakumara signed a 1 year $5.5 million deal with the Jaguars. We paid Kirkpatrick around $7.5 million...so it's doable.) I like Ross Cockrell from the Steelers also.

7 ) Trade McCarron for a 2nd and 4th Round pick.

8 ) Retain Lafell and Burkhead. Rely on Boyd and Core to continue development at WR. Let Burkhead, Hill, and Bernard compete for snaps. Ideally the offensive line is improved with a Center.

9 ) Draft a QB that you can develop somewhere in the 3rd to 5th Round.

10 ) Draft a kicker. Hold a competition in camp to see who can win the job.

11 ) Sign Nick Fairley. He has signed back to back 1 year deals...and has played well. Offer him a 2-3 year deal. We'd then pair Fairley with Atkins with Billings, Thompson, and Sims as the backups.

12 ) Bring in a veteran TE like Vernon Davis. I feel like our offense needs more experience at backup at that position.

13 ) Bring in a coverage safety like DJ Swearinger to compete with Williams at S. On some downs, move Williams down like a LB to add speed to the defense.

I like all of that, but I've seen enough from Hill. Time to move on.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 04:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I like all of that, but I've seen enough from Hill. Time to move on.

If there is ever a year to not cut someone it's their contract year coming off the rookie wage scale.

I wouldn't resign him after this year but I definitely am interested to see if he plays harder to get Paid.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 04:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I like all of that, but I've seen enough from Hill. Time to move on.

I'm tempted to draft Fournette or Cook...but I think Foster gives us the most bang for the buck.

I think with the offensive line fixed in my scenario that Hill, Burkhead, Bernard could all do fine.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 04:23 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If there is ever a year to not cut someone it's their contract year coming off the rookie wage scale.

I wouldn't resign him after this year but I definitely am interested to see if he plays harder to get Paid.

Oh yeah, I get the logic there, but still......

(01-27-2017, 04:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm tempted to draft Fournette or Cook...but I think Foster gives us the most bang for the buck.

I think with the offensive line fixed in my scenario that Hill, Burkhead, Bernard could all do fine.

I'm for axing him even if we get Foster.  He has been trash for two years, compounded by losing the playoff game by forgetting a valuable pee wee league lesson. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 05:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh yeah, I get the logic there, but still......

I'm for axing him even if we get Foster.  He has been trash for two years, compounded by losing the playoff game by forgetting a valuable pee wee league lesson. 

The puzzling thing with Hill is how he was so good as a rookie and then regressed. That's why I think its more the line than him.

I'd be ok with waiving him though.

We may go RB in the 2nd Round IF we trade McCarron. Hills a free agent next year. Bernard is coming off of a major injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 05:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The puzzling thing with Hill is how he was so good as a rookie and then regressed. That's why I think its more the line than him.

I'd be ok with waiving him though.

We may go RB in the 2nd Round IF we trade McCarron. Hills a free agent next year. Bernard is coming off of a major injury.

"It has been said many times and many ways",
hum it if you know it.
If the O line gets fixed - and I mean really fixed (not some Mikey Brown band aid), I think Hill will do okay. 2017 will tell the story on him providing the O line IS FIXED! He can be waived after 2017 when his contract is up. Sadly I expect a band aid solution. Sad
Reply/Quote
To OP, you definitely know what you're talking about. However, I have on question. How often do the Bengals keep 5 DTs on the 53? Isn't it usually 4 DT, 4 DE and a "tweener"?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would much rather sign Kirkpatrick and bouye.
Reply/Quote
Love your free agent signings but lol I think well be damn lucky just to get one of them guys.

I was looking at all the past draft classes, I seen that Reggie Nelson was a first rounder. How the heck did we end up with him at a good age even. We never do that and it benefited us. Only if they'd look at that and try some more on good free agents. We possibly could turn the corner.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 04:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm tempted to draft Fournette or Cook...but I think Foster gives us the most bang for the buck.

The longer I study the draft, the less of a chance I see us taking Cook or Fournette. Cook has serious baggage and Fournette is an injury risk. From a skill standpoint, I like them both but the risk/reward in the first is probably too much.

I read today that the coaches are liking C.Clement at Senior Bowl. I think we take a RB but I think later than earlier. Hence, I created the S.Perrine thread in draft forum. That said, Clement was another player that I considered mentioning. Then today he was mentioned in a Bengal related article.

To OP, I like the way you're thinking but don't think it necessarily goes down like that.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:45 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Love your free agent signings but lol I think well be damn lucky just to get one of them guys.

I was looking at all the past draft classes, I seen that Reggie Nelson was a first rounder.  How the heck did we end up with him at a good age even. We never do that and it benefited us. Only if they'd look at that and try some more on good free agents. We possibly could turn the corner.

Reggie Nelson was literally picked up off the scrap heap.  One of the Zimmer gems.  He was widely considered a bust, then he was reborn as a Safety with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think they should do everything in their power to retain Zeitler, Whit, and DreK.

They have the means to do so.  They're in the building...  so keep realistic signable FA's in the fold.

All others should just be sorted out.

They could afford to lose both Rex and Lafell in my opinion if it happens.

Not saying they shouldn't try.  These are the players you shouldn't overpay.

Mid level FAs or draft picks could replace them.

Peko, Maualuga, Pacman, and perhaps Hill(depending on Burkhead's status)should definitely be on the chopping block.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 09:47 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they should do everything in their power to retain Zeitler, Whit, and DreK.

They have the means to do so.  They're in the building...  so keep realistic signable FA's in the fold.

All others should just be sorted out.

They could afford to lose both Rex and Lafell in my opinion if it happens.

Not saying they shouldn't try.  These are the players you shouldn't overpay.

Mid level FAs or draft picks could replace them.

Peko, Maualuga, Pacman, and perhaps Hill(depending on Burkhead's status)should definitely be on the chopping block.

Here's how I see it. Cut Sims, malaluga, and tj Johnson.resign peko to 2 year 3 million. That would give u about 54-55 million in cap space.  Don't have the exact numbers in front of me. Resign Whit for 16.5 million for 2 years. Resign zeitler for 5 years 47 million. Resign Kirkpatrick for 5 years 50 million. That costs 27.5 million against the cap. Keep 12.5 million for draft picks and rollover. Leaves you 15 million for mid level free agent or a high end fa like a alonso for 10 million of a bouye for 8. Either way we have 14 million to play with after signing them. I am a huge fan of going Williams in round 1. That's a heir apparent to green or at worst have an elite number 2 for the next 5 years. No need for lafell. Also keep hill but as a backup. 
Reply/Quote
Based off the last couple years, this scenario is already too optimistic and unrealistic.

Not only 2 starters (one replacing PA's buddy at C), plus another rotational DL, plus cutting Maualuga, plus retaining most of the FA, PLUS adding four outside players in FA.

In reality, they are going to draft a 1st round CB who will not be seen. Bodine will start at C, Ogbuehi will start at RT, Maualuga will be a starting LB. The rest of the draft will be a bunch of Vigils and Hunts. Then they will bring in one really crappy AJ Hawk or Karlos Dansby type vet who's career is otherwise over. FA over.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
not realistic at all
Reply/Quote
You said Boling twice...
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To OP, you definitely know what you're talking about.  However, I have on question.  How often do the Bengals keep 5 DTs on the 53?  Isn't it usually 4 DT, 4 DE and a "tweener"?

Yeah one would be a tweener or they'd cut one. Usually one gets injured in camp though in some way and it takes care of itself.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:20 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Would much rather sign Kirkpatrick and bouye.

They'd NEVER sign both. Never.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:45 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Love your free agent signings but lol I think well be damn lucky just to get one of them guys.

I was looking at all the past draft classes, I seen that Reggie Nelson was a first rounder.  How the heck did we end up with him at a good age even. We never do that and it benefited us. Only if they'd look at that and try some more on good free agents. We possibly could turn the corner.

They traded for Reggie Nelson. He was considered a bust with the Jaguars and turned it around here.

I think Fairley is realistic. He's been signing 1 year deals. I think we tried to get him the year he went to the Rams.

The other guys are realistic too...in the sense they won't sign for huge contracts.
Reply/Quote