Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My realistic best-case scenario for improving the roster
(01-27-2017, 08:14 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The longer I study the draft, the less of a chance I see us taking Cook or Fournette. Cook has serious baggage and Fournette is an injury risk. From a skill standpoint, I like them both but the risk/reward in the first is probably too much.

I read today that the coaches are liking C.Clement at Senior Bowl. I think we take a RB but I think later than earlier. Hence, I created the S.Perrine thread in draft forum. That said, Clement was another player that I considered mentioning, then today he was in a Bengal related article.

To OP, I like the way you're thinking but don't think it necessarily goes down like that.

Agreed on the RB's. I think Cook becomes the better Pro but he has some red flags.

The injury thing is a concern with Fournette...but I also think his ability to make people miss is weak. He also doesn't really have great vision to find holes.

I think Foster has the least risk and if he is a Kuechly type...our defense would be awesome. He's the quickest way to make the defense great again.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 09:47 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they should do everything in their power to retain Zeitler, Whit, and DreK.

They have the means to do so.  They're in the building...  so keep realistic signable FA's in the fold.

All others should just be sorted out.

They could afford to lose both Rex and Lafell in my opinion if it happens.

Not saying they shouldn't try.  These are the players you shouldn't overpay.

Mid level FAs or draft picks could replace them.

Peko, Maualuga, Pacman, and perhaps Hill(depending on Burkhead's status)should definitely be on the chopping block.

Lafell AND Burkhead combined will cost like half of what Kirkpatrick or Zeitler signs for.

I worry with Kirkpatrick that when he gets a contract he'll stop playing well. He's really only played well in his contract year and a little bit of the year before. That's a red flag to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They'd NEVER sign both. Never.

they should though. They only have 2 major free agents next year in burfict and eifert. Get that secondary locked up for the next 5 years for 18 million per year get z for 10 million Whit for 8. Still have money left over to roll 18 million over to next year if need be. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reggie Nelson was literally picked up off the scrap heap.  One of the Zimmer gems.  He was widely considered a bust, then he was reborn as a Safety with the Bengals.

It is so funny how the Jags wanted Reggie to be more of an in-the-box safety and the Bengals let him play to his strengths- a center fielder.  Now we struggle with an in-the-box safety that we try to make a center fielder (Williams)...can we not self-scout?  

I doubt there are many FA out there that could be such a perfect fit as was Reggie, plus the Bengals have Williams under contract for a while longer.  At least he showed improvement toward the end of the season...he was a disaster in the first quarter of the season.  I was hoping Derron Smith would get a better look, as he thrives in more of that Reggie role.

Maybe the Jags will trade away a 7th round pick for Smith and he would become a stalwart on their defense...only seems fair.  He is just being wasted here.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lafell AND Burkhead combined will cost like half of what Kirkpatrick or Zeitler signs for.

I worry with Kirkpatrick that when he gets a contract he'll stop playing well. He's really only played well in his contract year and a little bit of the year before. That's a red flag to me.

Yeah but both are realistically replaceable.  Same with Hill.

These guys are okay but nothing special.  Only in "Bengal land" do they have higher worth.

I still think they could concentrate on getting the top three FAs signed and get it done.

Retaining them and fixing the O-line is priority.

You lose DreK?  You'd better hope the other guys show something(if they can stay healthy)or pray they sign a serviceable vet(which hasn't happened since Newman who was thought to be a bust and that is why they got him).

You lose Zeitler? Hmmm I dunno if anyone on staff can step up and fill that gap comfortably?  Losing Z might weigh into what Whit does.

Lose Whit?  Forggiddaboutit !  They got no one who can fill that gap.  Better hope he doesn't retire.  Losing Z could possibly push him in that direction.  Now wouldn't that suck?!?

These three are the must get done deals in my opinion.  If you gotta tag Z or Drek then so be it.

They need to concentrate on them first and figure out who they're gonna cut that costs them money right now.

Peko, Maualuga, Pacman(once Dre is resigned)
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed on the RB's. I think Cook becomes the better Pro but he has some red flags.

The injury thing is a concern with Fournette...but I also think his ability to make people miss is weak. He also doesn't really have great vision to find holes.

I think Foster has the least risk and if he is a Kuechly type...our defense would be awesome. He's the quickest way to make the defense great again.

They already have this guy...His name is Hill.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 05:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah but both are realistically replaceable.  Same with Hill.

These guys are okay but nothing special.  Only in "Bengal land" do they have higher worth.

I still think they could concentrate on getting the top three FAs signed and get it done.

Retaining them and fixing the O-line is priority.

You lose DreK?  You'd better hope the other guys show something(if they can stay healthy)or pray they sign a serviceable vet(which hasn't happened since Newman who was thought to be a bust and that is why they got him).

You lose Zeitler? Hmmm I dunno if anyone on staff can step up and fill that gap comfortably?  Losing Z might weigh into what Whit does.

Lose Whit?  Forggiddaboutit !  They got no one who can fill that gap.  Better hope he doesn't retire.  Losing Z could possibly push him in that direction.  Now wouldn't that suck?!?

These three are the must get done deals in my opinion.  If you gotta tag Z or Drek then so be it.

They need to concentrate on them first and figure out who they're gonna cut that costs them money right now.

Peko, Maualuga, Pacman(once Dre is resigned)
I'm sorry I'm not cutting pacman... Unless he gets suspended for a year he's on the team. Ur talking about having a rookie(wjiii) cover the likes of victor cruz/sterling shepherd, Randal Cobb, martavius Bryant, will fuller,donte moncrief, Marvin Jones, Allen hurts, laquan treadwell, Jeremy Maclin, Micheal Crabtree, Emanuel Sanders? Sorry no will take pacman. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 07:59 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'm sorry I'm not cutting pacman... Unless he gets suspended for a year he's on the team. Ur talking about having a rookie(wjiii) cover the likes of victor cruz/sterling shepherd, Randal Cobb, martavius Bryant, will fuller,donte moncrief, Marvin Jones, Allen hurts, laquan treadwell, Jeremy Maclin, Micheal Crabtree, Emanuel Sanders? Sorry no will take pacman. 

That's pretty bad when you need to depend on an aging troubled Pacman to cover those guys when they've constantly used high draft picks at the CB position.

If anything it should show how big of a failure this team has been at drafting lately.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When I say realistic, I'm taking into account how the Bengals do things. I'm not going to forecast them signing Bell and Berry in free agency.

1 ) We draft 2 starters in the draft. (Typically we don't draft any Day 1 starters so this is a big improvement.) I'll say we add Rueben Foster and a starting C that is an upgrade to Bodine.

2 ) We keep Zeitler and Whitworth and leave Kirkpatrick leave. The salary cap keeps rising and Whitworth will only be here 1 or 2 more years so it's doable. (Offensive line is Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, Drafted C, Fisher.)

3 ) Maualuga is waived.

4 ) Jackson and Vigil become starters. Billings becomes a solid rotation player at DT. (Linebackers are Vigil, Foster, and Burfict.)

5 ) We add a guy in the 2nd Round with the pick obtained at #7 that can pass rush from the DE spot. He's not a starter Year 1, but a situational rusher.

6 ) Sign Stephon Gilmore or Prince Amakumara to be a starting CB. (Amakumara signed a 1 year $5.5 million deal with the Jaguars. We paid Kirkpatrick around $7.5 million...so it's doable.) I like Ross Cockrell from the Steelers also.

7 ) Trade McCarron for a 2nd and 4th Round pick.

8 ) Retain Lafell and Burkhead. Rely on Boyd and Core to continue development at WR. Let Burkhead, Hill, and Bernard compete for snaps. Ideally the offensive line is improved with a Center.

9 ) Draft a QB that you can develop somewhere in the 3rd to 5th Round.

10 ) Draft a kicker. Hold a competition in camp to see who can win the job.

11 ) Sign Nick Fairley. He has signed back to back 1 year deals...and has played well. Offer him a 2-3 year deal. We'd then pair Fairley with Atkins with Billings, Thompson, and Sims as the backups.

12 ) Bring in a veteran TE like Vernon Davis. I feel like our offense needs more experience at backup at that position.

13 ) Bring in a coverage safety like DJ Swearinger to compete with Williams at S. On some downs, move Williams down like a LB to add speed to the defense.

1.) I am not in the Reuben Foster camp, nor do I wish to use a first round pick on a LB when they already have Burfict and Vigil for nickel, which is 70% of their snaps.  I am more than supportive of a Center in the second round.

2.) I will be the minority here and say that Zeitler will be let go.  $10 million a year is just too much to pay a good, but not dominant player.  Dre and Whit must be re-signed, and I would also try to sign Sexy.

3.) It isn't the Bengals style to terminate a contract early, but I would have no problem with this...a short-yardage, goalline player at best.  

4.) Agree with everything except Foster.  I would take a later round selection on a LB to develop....Vinny Rey is a very capable rotational player.

5.) I'm looking at Thomas from Stanford, Barnett from Tennessee, but in Rd 1.  Pass rush from the RDE spot is a huge vacancy right now.

6.) The Bengals will likely draft another CB in the middle rounds to try and develop for depth, but right now, I would go with WJIII, Dre, Dennard, Russell, and Shaw as the swing CB/FS guy.

7.) I would trade McCarron only if they got a fairly high second rounder or higher...use that pick on depth on the offensive line.  There needs to be competition for jobs.

8.) I don't re-sign Lafell...Cody Core is my X next year when they go three-wide....I would look at Galloway as a backup to him (out of Northern Illinois).  

9.) No QB drafted....use the pick on someone like Jake Butt, that has to sit out all year on IR anyway...like a stock, buy low.  They have Driskell who they kept on the roster all year ;ast year.  

10.) Love the Gonzalez kid from ASU.  I would even use a 5th rounder on him to make sure they get him. 

11.) No Nick Fairly, they have Billings and Hardison.  

12.) Any additional TEs means they would have to release Hewitt, Kroft, Uzomah, or Eifert....no more TEs except Butt, on IR. 

13.) I like Derron Smith as the cover guy, and I also like Fej.  WIlliams improved as the year wore on...I like our depth here as well.  
Reply/Quote
I like some of your ideas, but I think we may be looking at this scenario:

1) Re-signs- Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Sims, Peerman
-we wont sign an interior lineman to a 10 million contract, Zeitler walks netting us a 3rd rounder in 2018.
-Burkhead will get paid by someone, and this draft is loaded with backs, netting us another comp pick(4/5) in 2018

2) Cuts- Pacman 6.3, and Maualuga 3.7
-these moves save 10 million towards the cap allowing us to extend Eifert and Burfict, and sign a few FA's

3) Trade- AJ McCarron for a 2nd round pick makes too much sense say to Chicago #35 and a 5th rounder.

4) Free Agents
-Sean Spence- interior LB, would allow for great depth
-Ziggy Hood- interior DL/DE replaces Gilberry as situational rusher

5) Draft

1) Mike Williams- (Clemson WR)-gives us the legitimate #2 opposite AJ and keeps opposing defenses honest.
2) Ethan Pocic (LSU-center) -upgrades the interior line pushing Bodine to backup
2b) DeMarcus Walker (FlaSt DE)-outside rusher team is lacking
3) Chidobe Awozie (Colorado CB)- replaces Pacman, gives us depth at corner.
4) Joe Mixon-(Oklahoma RB)- character concerns but solid runner, replaces Hill
4b) Montraveous Adams (Auburn DE/DT)- continue to bolster the edge rush
4c) Isaac Asiata (Utah Guard)-pushes Westerman for playing time replacing Zeitler
5) Davis Webb (Cal QB)- gives us a backup to groom behind Dalton
6) Stacy Coley (Miami WR/PR)- allows us a speedy kick returner/Punt Returner to team with Erickson
6a) Jake Elliot (Memphis Kicker) -enough said
6b) Corey Clement (Wisconsin RB)- gives us more depth at the back position
7) Keith Kelsey (Louisville ILB)- special teamer
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 06:15 PM)schroomytunes1 Wrote: I like some of your ideas, but I think we may be looking at this scenario:

1) Re-signs- Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Sims, Peerman
-we wont sign an interior lineman to a 10 million contract, Zeitler walks netting us a 3rd rounder in 2018.
-Burkhead will get paid by someone, and this draft is loaded with backs, netting us another comp pick(4/5) in 2018

2) Cuts- Pacman 6.3, and Maualuga 3.7
-these moves save 10 million towards the cap allowing us to extend Eifert and Burfict, and sign a few FA's

3) Trade- AJ McCarron for a 2nd round pick makes too much sense say to Chicago #35 and a 5th rounder.

4) Free Agents
-Sean Spence- interior LB, would allow for great depth
-Ziggy Hood- interior DL/DE replaces Gilberry as situational rusher

5) Draft

1) Mike Williams- (Clemson WR)-gives us the legitimate #2 opposite AJ and keeps opposing defenses honest.
2) Ethan Pocic (LSU-center) -upgrades the interior line pushing Bodine to backup
2b) DeMarcus Walker (FlaSt DE)-outside rusher team is lacking
3) Chidobe Awozie (Colorado CB)- replaces Pacman, gives us depth at corner.
4) Joe Mixon-(Oklahoma RB)- character concerns but solid runner, replaces Hill
4b) Montraveous Adams (Auburn DE/DT)- continue to bolster the edge rush
4c) Isaac Asiata (Utah Guard)-pushes Westerman for playing time replacing Zeitler
5) Davis Webb (Cal QB)- gives us a backup to groom behind Dalton
6) Stacy Coley (Miami WR/PR)- allows us a speedy kick returner/Punt Returner to team with Erickson
6a) Jake Elliot (Memphis Kicker) -enough said
6b) Corey Clement (Wisconsin RB)- gives us more depth at the back position
7) Keith Kelsey (Louisville ILB)- special teamer

I agree for the most part but I think we sign z. I would rather cut Sims and tj Johnson and sign peko as a backup to Billings. Would love to sign aj bouye to a 5  yearer along with Dre K get that secondary locked up. Then love the draft but would replace Pocic for elflien and awozie for butt.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 07:59 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'm sorry I'm not cutting pacman... Unless he gets suspended for a year he's on the team. Ur talking about having a rookie(wjiii) cover the likes of victor cruz/sterling shepherd, Randal Cobb, martavius Bryant, will fuller,donte moncrief, Marvin Jones, Allen hurts, laquan treadwell, Jeremy Maclin, Micheal Crabtree, Emanuel Sanders? Sorry no will take pacman. 

He will most definitely be suspended.  I don't want him back....he has had too many chances and keeps waving his middle finger at the world.  So, with him suspended, the Bengals will be either starting WJIII or signing a veteran FA.  I'm betting the latter.  
Reply/Quote
Hey what about LaFell,Burkhead and those guys that filled in for the injuries? Those guys want to play and it showed in the way they played!
Reply/Quote
I should be our GM. Where do I apply?
Reply/Quote