Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My takes from the Browns game
OL was manhandled like the girls choir against a college team. They gave up 3 sacks and 4 more tackles for loss, not to mention a ton of hits and knock downs on the QB.

Burrow 316 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs = awesome for his 2nd game. The fact that he had to throw it 61 times is troubling. So were the hits he had to take.

Mixon 46 yards on 16 carries = no blocking. He also had 4 catches for 40 yards. I'd like to see more of him in routes.

AJ Green 3 catches on 13 targets. Yes, his was interfered with in the endzone on the missed TD. Yes several of the passes were over thrown or off target. But 3 of 13. That needs to improve and he can improve on that. Ward is a top shelf corner and AJ won't be going up against that caliber of player every week. He'll get better.

Uzomah, sad to see the injury. He was on a roll.

Sample out performed his entire rookie season and he made some nice 3rd and 4th down catches. I might end up liking this pick after all. Shocking.

Tyler Boyd continues to be mister steady with 7 catches on 8 targets for 72 yards a 1 TD.

Mike Thomas 4 catches on 4 targets and a TD. Turned out to be a much better signing than I thought.

John Ross... Ah, would anyone be willing to trade a starting OL player for him? I'd even throw in a mid round pick if the guy we get is starter quality.

Defense... Ah, last I looked tackling was not against the rules, but these guys sure played like it was.

Coaches... Not sold, not in the least. It doesn't matter that the offense put up more points this game. It's out of sorts and the coaches were happy with this line while the fans weren't. The fans turned out to be right. The coaches turned out to be way off the mark. On defense, they just didn't do anything they wanted to do. They wanted to keep Mayfield contained and failed. They wanted to stop the run and failed miserably. The Browns seemed to have an answer for everything or just over powered the Bengals defense. This coaching staff is now a 2-16 staff.

Also, we can thank Burrow for the utilization of the TEs more. Taylor is learning from him, which is good, but also pretty sad at the same time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Glad you mentioned Ward because ffs was he lights out. They really should have stopped throwing at him so much after a certain point. That might have been the game of his career so far.

Reply/Quote
When you play worse than our offensive line, you have issues. You hear that defense?
Reply/Quote
The game came down to two incidents. First was the fumble on the 1 after the defense had done a goal line stand. Second was the refs refusing to give Gio the TD and then the Bengals backpedaling 10 yards and settling for a FG. At least they have 10 days to rest up, heal for the next game.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:37 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: The game came down to two incidents. First was the fumble on the 1 after the defense had done a goal line stand. Second was the refs refusing to give Gio the TD and then the Bengals backpedaling 10 yards and settling for a FG. At least they have 10 days to rest up, heal for the next game.

Beckham was clearly down=td. Gio was clearly not down=down? Unreal

Also, it’s just organizational negligence to let Burrow play behind that line.
Reply/Quote
My take is that our fans complain about John Ross’ mental fragility but have you seen the gameday thread?

All jokes aside, Ross needs to be traded or benched. I defended him for a while but his lack of hustle at one point opened my eyes to his loserness. Give me more Mike Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:01 AM)BengalChris Wrote: OL was manhandled like the girls choir against a college team. They gave up 3 sacks and 4 more tackles for loss, not to mention a ton of hits and knock downs on the QB.

Burrow 316 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs = awesome for his 2nd game. The fact that he had to throw it 61 times is troubling. So were the hits he had to take.

Mixon 46 yards on 16 carries = no blocking. He also had 4 catches for 40 yards. I'd like to see more of him in routes.

AJ Green 3 catches on 13 targets. Yes, his was interfered with in the endzone on the missed TD. Yes several of the passes were over thrown or off target. But 3 of 13. That needs to improve and he can improve on that. Ward is a top shelf corner and AJ won't be going up against that caliber of player every week. He'll get better.

Uzomah, sad to see the injury. He was on a roll.

Sample out performed his entire rookie season and he made some nice 3rd and 4th down catches. I might end up liking this pick after all. Shocking.

Tyler Boyd continues to be mister steady with 7 catches on 8 targets for 72 yards a 1 TD.

Mike Thomas 4 catches on 4 targets and a TD. Turned out to be a much better signing than I thought.

John Ross... Ah, would anyone be willing to trade a starting OL player for him? I'd even throw in a mid round pick if the guy we get is starter quality.

Defense... Ah, last I looked tackling was not against the rules, but these guys sure played like it was.

Coaches... Not sold, not in the least. It doesn't matter that the offense put up more points this game. It's out of sorts and the coaches were happy with this line while the fans weren't. The fans turned out to be right. The coaches turned out to be way off the mark. On defense, they just didn't do anything they wanted to do. They wanted to keep Mayfield contained and failed. They wanted to stop the run and failed miserably. The Browns seemed to have an answer for everything or just over powered the Bengals defense. This coaching staff is now a 2-16 staff.

Also, we can thank Burrow for the utilization of the TEs more. Taylor is learning from him, which is good, but also pretty sad at the same time.

I won't throw in the towel on the team just yet, but I am almost giving up on Ross.  They seem to have no plans to do any screens, etc. with him.  Just send him deep and hope he drags some folks with him.  The middle of the field was where Burrow lived, though, with Boyd, Sample, Uzo, and such getting the most production.

Just be prepared.  Ross will be a steeler next year, and they will likely have a LOT more success in how to use him.  
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:41 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Beckham was clearly down=td. Gio was clearly not down=down? Unreal

Also, it’s just organizational negligence to let Burrow play behind that line.

Ya I’m not quite sure how that Gio call was reversed... I assumed there was an angle I couldn’t see but it looked like there was no clear evidence he wasn’t in. Either way, we need to be able to score there and our newly paid running back did us no favors.
Reply/Quote
All it took was for Fred Johnson to play guard for Bobby Hart to look good. I heard Johnson's name being called a lot...not Hart's

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:47 AM)pally Wrote: All it took was for Fred Johnson to play guard for Bobby Hart to look good. I heard Johnson's name being called a lot...not Hart's

Fred Johnson almost got Burrow Kimo’d. He better not start another game.

Reply/Quote
Fred Johnson is likely to appear on the injury report next week with a hurt tailbone and sore buttocks
Reply/Quote
Johnson is definitely a better tackle than he is a guard. He just gets pushed around to easy.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Johnson is definitely a better tackle than he is a guard. He just gets pushed around to easy.

I tend to agree with this; his pluses last year were outside pass pro and outside blocking on runs; can't do that at G.

My own personal thought, I think he's too big and he can't mentally get it in his head to reach out/spread his body out as much as he can at T... but that's just my own musings.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I did not like the playcalling at all.
Hart and Johnson were abysmal.
WRs aren't getting separation.
LBs didn't play well.
DBs getting beat downfield.
DL only got pressure on Mayfield twice all night with 0 sacks, and they were not good stopping the run.

About the only things good were Burrow and the TEs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Glad you mentioned Ward because ffs was he lights out. They really should have stopped throwing at him so much after a certain point. That might have been the game of his career so far.

He's been impressive before when healthy. 

So yeah, I'm glad this was mentioned too. I might've been too hard on AJ - though the other side of that is, he is used to going up against the best corner or even being doubled/tripled. 

Reply/Quote