Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
My thoughts on drafting WR first
(04-01-2021, 02:21 PM)Burma Wrote: I was all in for Sewell, but I think I have settled in at trading down and grabbing Slater or Darrisaw.  Which is probably the least realistic choice the Bengals may take.  Watching Slater's games and his pro day you really get struck with how effortlessly he moves.  Slater also tested extremely well.  Compared to the 2018-2020 combine results which encompassed 158 offenseive linemen Slater ranked as follows:

40 yard: 3rd 
Vertical: Tied for 6th
Bench: Tied for 6th
Broad Jump: Tied for 8th
3 cone: Tied for 9th
Shuttle: 2nd

From what I've been reading, the Falcons are leaning more and more towards staying at 4 and taking Pitts, which makes a ton of sense with Arthur Smith, who loves running 12 personnel. Pitts would have a HUGE impact on that offense right away. 

If they do stay put and Lance goes to the 49ers, that means Fields will still be there at 5 and he is the guy that Billy B is reportedly salivating over...so I think the Pats will definitely come calling, offering up some serious capital for the 5th pick. 

If that happens, I think it would be hard to pass on...even with how hard it would be to pass on Chase and Sewell. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From what I've been reading, the Falcons are leaning more and more towards staying at 4 and taking Pitts because, which makes a ton of sense with Arthur Smith, who loves running 12 personnel. Pitts would have a HUGE impact on that offense right away. 

If they do stay put and Lance goes to the 49ers, that means Fields will still be there at 5 and he is the guy that Billy B is reportedly salivating over...so I think the Pats will definitely come calling, offering up some serious capital for the 5th pick. 

If that happens, I think it would be hard to pass on...even with how hard it would be to pass on Chase and Sewell. 

That would be solid. Looking at the trade chart the pats would need to offer their 1st and 2nd this year as well as their 2nd next year.  That would go a long way towards solving some problems.  Although at 15 there is a risk of missing out on all 3 top OTs.  

Hopefully Denver gets a bee in it's bonnet and wants a QB.  They could offer their 1 and 2 this year (1800 to 1850 points) and the Bengals could still potentially have their pick of all 3 OT (assuming Sewell slips as has been mentioned).

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:49 PM)Burma Wrote: That would be solid. Looking at the trade chart the pats would need to offer their 1st and 2nd this year as well as their 2nd next year.  That would go a long way towards solving some problems.  Although at 15 there is a risk of missing out on all 3 top OTs.  

Hopefully Denver gets a bee in it's bonnet and wants a QB.  They could offer their 1 and 2 this year (1800 to 1850 points) and the Bengals could still potentially have their pick of all 3 OT (assuming Sewell slips as has been mentioned).

Like most of the deals involving moving up for a QB, the trade chart pretty much gets thrown out the window...especially if other teams (Carolina or Denver) are also trying to get the 5th pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From what I've been reading, the Falcons are leaning more and more towards staying at 4 and taking Pitts, which makes a ton of sense with Arthur Smith, who loves running 12 personnel. Pitts would have a HUGE impact on that offense right away. 

I would be all for that. Multiple 1s and an extra 2nd for sure. ( I would think)
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Like most of the deals involving moving up for a QB,  the trade chart pretty much gets thrown out the window...especially if other teams (Carolina or Denver) are also trying to get the 5th pick.

Yep, that San Fran - Miami deal blew the trade chart to hell.  It is really hard to quantify the "QB premium" that gets applied.

I would be interested in seeing the likely hood of Detroit moving up for Chase or Pitts.  They lost their stud WR and the only real weapon they have for Goff is T.J. Hockenson, a solid TE.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:47 PM)Mobster Wrote: Yes, we need O-Line help. But we desperately need playmakers as well, guys who can get us chunk plays. It was so painful to watch 15 play drives that end up with no scores. You know how hard it is when you have to sustain a drive that long because you have no big plays? Sooner or later your drive gets ruined because someone is going to get called for a penalty, you'll give up a sack, etc. No team can be that perfect that consistently even with someone like Sewell

Higgins had 14 receptions of 20+ yards.  That was 20th in the league.  Not bad considering he was a rookie and basically just played 14 games.  He had 0 targets week one and only 1 target (0 receptions) in the season finale.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:21 PM)Burma Wrote: I was all in for Sewell, but I think I have settled in at trading down and grabbing Slater or Darrisaw.  Which is probably the least realistic choice the Bengals may take.  Watching Slater's games and his pro day you really get struck with how effortlessly he moves.  Slater also tested extremely well.  Compared to the 2018-2020 combine results which encompassed 158 offenseive linemen Slater ranked as follows:

40 yard: 3rd 
Vertical: Tied for 6th
Bench: Tied for 6th
Broad Jump: Tied for 8th
3 cone: Tied for 9th
Shuttle: 2nd

Wow, that's pretty impressive.... I'd be hip to your scenario...

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 04:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wow, that's pretty impressive.... I'd be hip to your scenario...

https://www.nfl.com/videos/bucky-brooks-recaps-northwestern-s-2021-pro-day

Good video on his pro day.  Movement skills start around 1 min in.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:05 PM)Beaker Wrote: O line in the second round and third round and taking the best non QB player available in the first is a much better proposition for future success.

That is the way I am leaning. Fix the OL while adding the generational talent is the best way to go IMO.

I want Pitts the most but after that Sewell and Chase are about even in my eyes just because of the depth at OT.

Like I have said before, if this Draft wasn't deep at OT, Sewell would be the obvious choice hands down.

Sewell or Slater.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:10 AM)Burma Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I was watching Top Gear Series 14, the Romania special. Watching them take these exotic, high speed, super cars across Romanian roads and goat paths made think of drafting Ja'Marr Chase and kicking the O-line can to the 2nd round.  It seemed apropos.   So I made this.

Forgive the double text layer on this gif, I could not find a copy without the orinial dialogue.

Good analogy. I'd also say it's like ordering a steak when you have a couple of pork chops and no silverware.

(04-01-2021, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who cares.  Our current offense is held back a lot more by our current O-line than our current WRs.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
On today's Path to the Draft, a couple of analysts, had Slater possibly going #2 to the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Like most of the deals involving moving up for a QB,  the trade chart pretty much gets thrown out the window...especially if other teams (Carolina or Denver) are also trying to get the 5th pick.

How nice would it be to have 3 teams fighting for that pick...

talking 1st and 2nd this year, certainly a 1st next year... who knows what else they would offer.

One proposal I saw was that New England would offer up the 1st and other picks along with Neal their former 1st round WR who has been a disappointment in New England.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think our WR corps is more like an Ecoboost Mustang that somebody stuck a bunch of Cobra badges on.

You need to put that Ecoboost in Sport mode, it'll move you back in your seat!
Reply/Quote
I get the argument for Sewell at 5. Dude looks like a beast.

But so did Rey Maualuga coming out of USC. He was ok, but didn't live up to our expectations. At least not mine.

My best counter argument is just "who did Sewell have to block?" How many of those guys are even on an NFL roster? How many of them ever will be?

Chase and Pitts are better prospects based on their performance against, not only NFL caliber talent, but first round draft pick NFL talent.

I still think we ought to just flip a coin.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:48 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote:  You can’t do wrong so long as you get one.

Fact #1: My name is Mike Brown. Have you met me? 

Fact #2: There is no such thing as a generational talent at WR when looking at the draft. Only twice in the last decade has the first WR taken in the draft gone on to become the best WR selected that year. In fact, in any given year, the best WR was only selected in the first round 60% of the time. that's anywhere in the first round. They bust more often than a water balloon on concrete.
Reply/Quote
The value we get from Chase and 2nd rd OG, far outweighs Sewell (who is going to force one of our OTs out of position, including himself) and a 2nd Rd receiver. There is 0 consensus that Sewell is even the best OL in this draft. There is unanimous decision that Chase is easily best WR of this draft and even last draft.
Reply/Quote
[Image: kiEpFJ_6G3gEegRActRGVAC6ZllFbuQ5K4eZlxOG...ce54fb3d5b]
Reply/Quote
we SHALL draft a WR aka CHASE because we draft WRs better than we do OLs.

Bodine, WIlliams, Price, Ogbuehi and more..

the only bad WR we had in a while was Ross and Marvin never even liked that pick, it was likely a "forced" pick by the FO.
Reply/Quote
Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Atlanta

Who is in the know with Atlanta’s pick? Are they drafting Pitts or are they taking QB? If Atlanta takes QB, the Bengals are in the best spot in the draft as all 3 players tge bengals are targeting are right there at 5 and can entertain an offer only Mike Brown could refuse from Carolina, who probably wants a QB.

If Atlanta drafts someone else then it makes more sense to stay and take there guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 09:11 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Atlanta

Who is in the know with Atlanta’s pick? Are they drafting Pitts or are they taking QB? If Atlanta takes QB, the Bengals are in the best spot in the draft as all 3 players tge bengals are targeting are right there at 5 and can entertain an offer only Mike Brown could refuse from Carolina, who probably wants a QB.

If Atlanta drafts someone else then it makes more sense to stay and take there guy.
If Atlanta goes QB in this scenario, the Bengals could trade back with Carolina at 8 knowing they will get one of Chase, Pitts or Sewell.

If Atlanta goes Pitts, the Bengals could still trade back to 8. MIA would take Chase and then it is decision time for Detroit. Do they trade out with Denver or NE for QB5? Take Sewell? Smith? Worst case for the Bengals would be the Lions take Sewell (although I think this is unlikely). The Bengals would then again be the action spot with a chance to trade out of 8 for more picks.

Most likely scenario in my mind is they take Chase at 5. But if they want to go OL in the first, I think it would be negligent to simply take Sewell at 5. Trade back would be the move.
Reply/Quote