Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My weekly rant
(10-25-2017, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I firmly believe that the Bengals can drastically improve the offense (ESPECIALLY the run game) with the additions of Mike McGlinchey at LT from the draft, Frank Ragnow and/or Billy Price at C/RG from the draft, and re-signing Andre Smith to actually be the unquestioned starter at RT. McGlinchey, Ragnow, and Price are all very good run blockers. And Dalton is at his best when there's a good running game and the run can be used to set up the pass.

I do think Alexander leaving is a big part of improvement. He runs a passive blocking scheme where the defensive lineman engage our guys.

Not every college lineman will succeed in that. I have no idea if the guys you mention could or not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote:  And Dalton is at his best when there's a good running game and the run can be used to set up the pass.

Uh oh. Nervous  Better watch out.  Nervous You said something positive about Dalton. You're in trouble now.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Uh oh. Nervous  Better watch out.  Nervous You said something positive about Dalton. You're in trouble now.  Mellow

Did I though? I feel like it's probably more of a negative to a QB if you say that he's better when the running game is strong because the team doesn't have to lean on the QB as much. And as harsh as that is to say, it's true.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did I though? I feel like it's probably more of a negative to a QB if you say that he's better when the running game is strong because the team doesn't have to lean on the QB as much. And as harsh as that is to say, it's true.

EVERY QB is better when the running game is strong. Yes, the best QBs play well regardless, but if you give an elite QB a strong running game, you'll see their volume stats go down, but you'll see their efficiency skyrocket.

In any event, it was more of a dig of our prepubescent OP than anything you said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. A decent percentage of the fans live in willful ignorance that changing HC's will result in a Super Bowl. Or IF Ross were healthy things would be different.

They don't see reality.

Oh I think just about everybody here understands the reality.

And we have zero hope that Mike Brown is going to fire himself. And it's very painfully obvious ML has taken this team as far as he'll ever get it !

I have no delusions that a new HC is going to come in here and instantly overcome the GM interference. But there would at least be a shred of hope that maybe, just maybe, somehow, someway he could talk, coach, convince MB to step back and let others run the show.

Pipe Dream I know but it's all we've got.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did I though? I feel like it's probably more of a negative to a QB if you say that he's better when the running game is strong because the team doesn't have to lean on the QB as much. And as harsh as that is to say, it's true.

Tell that to Boomer Esiason. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: EVERY QB is better when the running game is strong. Yes, the best QBs play well regardless, but if you give an elite QB a strong running game, you'll see their volume stats go down, but you'll see their efficiency skyrocket.

In any event, it was more of a dig of our prepubescent OP than anything you said.

You're right. I guess I should rephrase...Dalton might play better when having to pass less often, but unfortunately that can't happen given how bad the OL is right now. We've seen that when the Bengals are behind and need to pass a lot, Dalton is no Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees. Dalton is at his best when the running game is going well and the game doesn't have to be put on his shoulders. That's the difference between a good and elite QB. I do think the Bengals can win playoff games with Dalton at QB if the defense stays elite and the running game is good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You're right. I guess I should rephrase...Dalton might play better when having to pass less often, but unfortunately that can't happen given how bad the OL is right now. We've seen that when the Bengals are behind and need to pass a lot, Dalton is no Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees. Dalton is at his best when the running game is going well and the game doesn't have to be put on his shoulders. That's the difference between a good and elite QB. I do think the Bengals can win playoff games with Dalton at QB if the defense stays elite and the running game is good.

Couldn't agree any more.  Well said.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote