Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start Westerman
Man this guy looks good out there. He had two vicious blocks tonight that impressed everyone. They were at RG too. I’m loving what I’m seeing from this guy and per PFF which a lot of you hate which I don’t understand because they are more knowledgeable than us rank him as our top rated player this preseason. I like what I seeing. I have no idea what he did to Marvin , maybe he walked in on Brown n Marvin plying peek-a-bo. He needs some playing time. Definitely over Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
To paraphrase Paul Simon. . . "A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest."
Reply/Quote
He looked ok tonight. Took a penalty though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Not sure why they waited so long to get him time at RG.
Reply/Quote
I think Redmond is a better option than Hopkins at RG, but he made ANOTHER false start. He sure doesn't get moved backwards, though, and for whatever reason (bad footwork?) Hopkins looks short-armed and he is always losing his base and lunging at guys. He is not strong in the running game and we need a RG that is a road grader.

I hope Redmond wins the job at RG. Westerman will be the first guy off the bench at LG. I feel bad for him getting that illness that set him back physically and losing the 12 pounds right at the worst time.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 01:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Man this guy looks good out there.  He had two vicious blocks tonight that impressed everyone.  They were at RG too.  I’m loving what I’m seeing from this guy.
I would hope that he looks good, versus backups and scrubs..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would hope that he looks good, versus backups and scrubs..

Boy, you're a real buzzkill!   Wink
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 07:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Redmond is a better option than Hopkins at RG, but he made ANOTHER false start.  He sure doesn't get moved backwards, though, and for whatever reason (bad footwork?) Hopkins looks short-armed and he is always losing his base and lunging at guys.  He is not strong in the running game and we need a RG that is a road grader.  

I hope Redmond wins the job at RG.  Westerman will be the first guy off the bench at LG.  I feel bad for him getting that illness that set him back physically and losing the 12 pounds right at the worst time.

That is probably why he is in ML's doghouse. Those 12 pounds plus more went to ML's gut. You know, when a coach is like 50+ pounds overweight and then tells players they are not working hard enough it is quite hypocritical. Anyway, even the guys at Cincy Jungle noted Westerman played well again at RG. Head scratcher. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:22 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: That is probably why he is in ML's doghouse. Those 12 pounds plus more went to ML's gut. You know, when a coach is like 50+ pounds overweight and then tells players they are not working hard enough it is quite hypocritical. Anyway, even the guys at Cincy Jungle noted Westerman played well again at RG. Head scratcher. 

coach doesn't have a playing weight so that argument is pretty asinine.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:47 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Boy, you're a real buzzkill!   Wink

Did I ever tell you about that time on a sports message board, when a group of fans started second guessing the coaching staff, and speculating that perhaps the reserve players were better than the first team?   If you have an hour or two, I'd be glad to share it with you.  It's a dilly of a tale, indeed.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He can run block too, he is not just a good pass protector that Redmond needs to really work on.

Hopkins is purely a backup insurance type player. My vote is to start Westerman at RG as well come opening day.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: coach doesn't have a playing weight so that argument is pretty asinine.

I couldn't agree more. Since when did the condition of the coaching staff have anything at all to do with how well (or poorly) a player performs? Are we really supposed to compare a 60 year old man with a 20 something bubble player? I really don't expect ML will ever be the starting guard or tackle. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I hate to be a forum coach but Westerman proved last night that he's the best candidate for right guard. You can say it was against scrubs but it's not his fault that he didn't get a chance at RG until the last game. Whether it was being in Marvin's doghouse or the weight that he lost, when he got a chance he moved guys and was solid in pass blocking. Hopkins is better as a backup that can play multiple positions. I expect Redmond to start but if he has a couple penalties in the 1st quarter, hard to think Westerman won't be out there. Because what if Hopkins gets injured? then you have no backup center and you'll have no choice but to play Westerman if Redmond is still struggling with the mental aspect. Maybe Westerman is catching up in practice and he'll take the starting job next week anyway. He's one of those guys that makes your o-line tougher and I hope he gets a shot.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 07:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Redmond is a better option than Hopkins at RG, but he made ANOTHER false start.  He sure doesn't get moved backwards, though, and for whatever reason (bad footwork?) Hopkins looks short-armed and he is always losing his base and lunging at guys.  He is not strong in the running game and we need a RG that is a road grader.  

I hope Redmond wins the job at RG.  Westerman will be the first guy off the bench at LG.  I feel bad for him getting that illness that set him back physically and losing the 12 pounds right at the worst time.

I agree with that. Redmond had better clean up the penalties. 
Reply/Quote
Westerman has been battling injuries all season long and got knicked up again last night as well.  Tough to start a guy who is consistently getting himself hurt..  Redmond is a penalty machine.. Tough call, but the bottom line is they gotta be able to stay on the field . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 12:42 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I hate to be a forum coach but Westerman proved last night that he's the best candidate for right guard. You can say it was against scrubs but it's not his fault that he didn't get a chance at RG until the last game. Whether it was being in Marvin's doghouse or the weight that he lost, when he got a chance he moved guys and was solid in pass blocking. Hopkins is better as a backup that can play multiple positions. I expect Redmond to start but if he has a couple penalties in the 1st quarter, hard to think Westerman won't be out there. Because what if Hopkins gets injured? then you have no backup center and you'll have no choice but to play Westerman if Redmond is still struggling with the mental aspect. Maybe Westerman is catching up in practice and he'll take the starting job next week anyway. He's one of those guys that makes your o-line tougher and I hope he gets a shot.

I did not watch the game. Did the Colts play their first team DL and linebackers? Did Hopkins play much?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: coach doesn't have a playing weight so that argument is pretty asinine.

To me it actually does matter. If a coach is saying players don't practice hard enough is himself an out of shape blob i would take issue with that.  I know he is 60 years old but he is also a playoff loser who has proven nothing in this league. So i would have trouble listening to him barking at me and I suspect many players would grumble to themselves about it. 

But I fully understand I am an outlier on this point. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 01:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Man this guy looks good out there.  He had two vicious blocks tonight that impressed everyone.  They were at RG too.  I’m loving what I’m seeing from this guy and per PFF which a lot of you hate which I don’t understand because they are more knowledgeable than us rank him as our top rated player this preseason.   I like what I seeing.  I have no idea what he did to Marvin , maybe he walked in on Brown n Marvin plying peek-a-bo.   He needs some playing time.  Definitely over Hopkins.

Really.. he whiffed on a pass block early in game.. lost his feet also a few times.. was playing against 2/4ths played ok, nothing special that is for sure in one game to move anyone out of starting.. i would give you he played his way not to be cut if they acquire a guard off waivers, Redmond is the odd man out if they add a guard, if they add a tackle, Fisher looks like he is the man out
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did I ever tell you about that time on a sports message board, when a group of fans started second guessing the coaching staff, and speculating that perhaps the reserve players were better than the first team?   If you have an hour or two, I'd be glad to share it with you.  It's a dilly of a tale, indeed.   Ninja

Yeah, but WE know everything.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 01:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Man this guy looks good out there.  He had two vicious blocks tonight that impressed everyone.  They were at RG too.  I’m loving what I’m seeing from this guy and per PFF which a lot of you hate which I don’t understand because they are more knowledgeable than us rank him as our top rated player this preseason.   I like what I seeing.  I have no idea what he did to Marvin , maybe he walked in on Brown n Marvin plying peek-a-bo.   He needs some playing time.  Definitely over Hopkins.

Let's see what happens. I trust Pollack on this kind of stuff. 

As to PFF, most of us don't trust them for very good reasons. They used to be good but slid badly, and really they were never good at rating linemen.  Remember we saw them giving linemen decent grades while when we watched the same game that same lineman let defenders fly in unblocked. 
Reply/Quote