Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myth Of Franchise Quarterbacks
Every year, there's talk about who is a franchise quarterback and who isn't. But what necessarily counts as a "franchise quarterback?" Is it stats? Wins?

I asked this on twitter, and there were many people that talked about stats. But the one that nearly EVERYONE said, was playoff wins. So. A franchise quarterback is someone who's supposed to win in the playoffs and you build around, right?

The reason I'm bringing it up is the fact that it's actually quite rare anymore. Many people here want a new quarterback, and that's understandable. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

Dalton obviously has stats and regular season wins. But his biggest gripe is playoff wins. So many fans want the Bengals to get a quarterback who can. And it's not that cut and dry.

Since 2009, only 8 quarterbacks drafted have won a playoff game. Only 2 of them are still a starter.
Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, TJ Yates, and Brock Osweiler have won a playoff game.

No Matthews Stafford. No Sam Bradford. No Kirk Cousins. No Andy Dalton. No Marcus Mariota. No Jameis Winston. No Dak Prescott.

Could it change this year with some quarterbacks? Absolutely. I hope it changes.
But there's been 53 quarterbacks that have been drafted since 2009 that have started a game in the NFL.
35 of which were drafted within the first 2 rounds.
Only 5 quarterbacks drafted within the first 2 rounds since 2009 have won a playoff game.

One can argue "Oh, it's the team around them that's been bad as well". Which is understandable, especially for some newer drafted quarterbacks.

But we throw around the "franchise quarterback" mantra far too often in the NFL when it comes to quarterback prospects.

This isn't to diminish what these prospects are, nor to say we must stick with Dalton. This is just to say "Hey. Drafting a quarterback doesn't always mean you'll win in the playoffs".
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
This little tidbit of trivia goes hand in hand here.

Do you know who the last QB Kansas City drafted that won a playoff game for them was?  That's right, its Lenny Dawson!!!  I found that tidbit very interesting when I first heard it. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:19 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This little tidbit of trivia goes hand in hand here.

Do you know who the last QB Kansas City drafted that won a playoff game for them was?  That's right, its Lenny Dawson!!!  I found that tidbit very interesting when I first heard it. 

That's actually kinda funny. Never knew that
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Even better,

Who was the last QB that KC drafted that started and WON a game for them?
Reply/Quote
I guess it comes down to how you define the term franchise QB.

My definition is very simple:

If you would pass up a first round QB that you really like because of your own QB, then that guy is a franchise guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Even better,

Who was the last QB that KC drafted that started and WON a game for them?

Would that be Lenny Dawson too?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 05:58 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Would that be Lenny Dawson too?

Pretty sure its Todd Blackledge.
Reply/Quote
I am not on the hey let's get rid of Andy because he sucks and can't play bandwagon but what if we get a sweetheart deal for them that is equivalent to Hershal wlaker deal? I think the Bengals have to consider the deal don't they?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This upcoming draft looks strong for interior OL, RB, QB, and very good pass rushing DTs at the top. OT isn’t great but it looks better overall than next year.
Darnold would be smart to return to college for next year because the QB class in 2019 doesn’t look as stacked.

The Bengals really need OL and could use 1-2 DL with MJ, Dunlap, and Atkins all set to hit FA after next season. But QB could still make sense if the team and org are ready to move on from Dalton. Besides, cutting/trading Dalton would free up a good chunk of cap to invest at another position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote