Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Myths About Transition Regrets
(10-04-2017, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Put up or shut up. Show evidence of my advocating for that, or any other word, to be banned/censored. I recall pointing out that it is a slur, but I don't recall ever advocating it be a banned word.

I will point something out here that I think is important to state, but I have a feeling will be ignored. When you use these words that are slurs and are not considered socially acceptable there are different reactions that you will garner. Those of us that pay attention to these things actually look at the context of their use to guide our reaction to this.

If someone uses a word that in years gone by may have been more acceptable in general conversation, we often tend to just discuss the use of the word not being deemed as appropriate in "polite conversation" anymore. We will even explain the reason why if it is asked because education is the tool to fight ignorance, and ignorance is the root of prejudice and discrimination.

Now, after having that happen there is continued whining, use of the words, use of the words in conjunction with other language that is disparaging, then there is no other way to take it but for it to be intended as derogatory. That is where we are at with you. Whether you choose to accept that or not, I don't really care at this point. You've made your biases clear, you have exhibited clear evidence that you consider people of the LGBT community as second-class. I can have discussions with other people that may disagree with me on the topic just fine because they do not choose to continually use disparaging terms.

That's why you get involved in these discussions. Words are just words, but contextually it is clear that your intent behind them is derogatory.

1. Ah so you do not think it should be banned or censored. Gotcha. If that is indeed the case then I apologize. I must have wrongly lumped you in with your transvestite loving buddy. My bad.

2. There is a lot here so I will respond in parts.

"Socially acceptable" - what's acceptable down here in my community may not be the same as your community. You expect me and others to live by your view of acceptable but you will not accept our view of acceptable and take it for what it's worth. Just normal conversation that can be thrown out as just a regional way to speak.

As far as context goes..... me saying that transvestities need counseling because the science has shown it's a mental disorder much like an eating disorder or similar mental issues. None of that is anti gays or transvestites. You just want to project that because the default move is to call anyone who isn't marching in gay pride parades a homophobe.

Your view in Virginia (I think that's your state, I honestly do not remember) is different than mine in Florida. We refer to people in ways that you would most likely find offensive. It's more of a regional thing rather than a homophobia situation. And I should remind you I have never advocated for gays or transvestites to be the recipient of any violence or exclusion. I have advocated for people getting the help they needed, to not give children radical hormone treatment pre puberty, and not allowing men in the women's restroom. None of that is homophobic.
You are more than welcome to explain anything to anyone and we are also more than welcome to say thank you but we will stick to our own ways.

You mention that education is the tool to fight ignorance and discrimination. I am against those things as well. So this isn't even an issue..... you are merely upset that I have different presentation when it comes to speaking about these subjects. Once again this is a regional issue not a speech issue. It's clear when you and Pat have the same demeanor on these topics on speech especially you are both from the same region.

If you want to only think if me as speaking in a derogatory manner than that is a you problem. That is your definition of derogatory and it's obviously a bit skewed. I am still not sure why you guys are so wrapped up in language as opposed to the actual issue. All I want is to get people the help they need to lower their suicide rate. Instead of talking about that you want You instead want to get wrapped up in which word I use..... transgender, tranvestite, *****, three wolf, gay, etc..... for all your education you can't seem to get beyond a minor regional speech issue. It's not like I have said anything remotely anti gay or anti transvestites.

Imagine if not one thing was ever said about the use of *****. Outside of you or anyone saying hey that's not really acceptable where I am from..... then leaving it alone. We could have had detailed discussions on the actual topics rather than pages and threads wasted over the choices between trans, *****, transvestite, two wolf, he, she, cis, xe, he/she, ze, ko, vd, etc.

in the end no one is going to change how they speak, you are not all of sudden going to just speak plainly and directly. You will always care about perception and other things that I just find pointless.
(10-04-2017, 09:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not once did he ever use the word in the context of auto care. You're wasting your time on him. 

No I used it so I wouldn't have to type out transvestite, transgender, any word for that matter that starts with trans..... like a transmission on my car.
(10-04-2017, 09:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know, and I would like to say that post will be my last on him about this. I just had to lay it all out there.

Ah the old take your ball and going home. Fair enough.
(10-04-2017, 10:47 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is exactly the response I expect from you when shown your hypocrisy.

Would you care to answer my question? Why do you think crap is offensive, but you want shit banned because it offends you? There both just words, right?

I know you understand my point. So my real question is why do you intentionally try to antagonize people for your own personal enjoyment?

That universally recognized swear words are not appropriate on a forum that minors have access?
(10-04-2017, 10:55 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That universally recognized swear words are not appropriate on a forum that minors have access?

Why is one of those words offensive to the point you want it banned?

Why do intentionally antagonize people to get a reaction for your enjoyment? That's just weird.
(10-04-2017, 10:47 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is exactly the response I expect from you when shown your hypocrisy.

Would you care to answer my question? Why do you think crap is offensive, but you want shit banned because it offends you?  There both just words, right?

I know you understand my point. So my real question is why do you intentionally try to antagonize people for your own personal enjoyment?

It's like you have borderline personality disorder.

It's exactly what I was thinking. 

Awhile back I worked as an NA on emergency psych unit (for 8yrs).  Though I'm not an expert it was my initial thought as well.
(10-04-2017, 11:07 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why is one of those words offensive to the point you want it banned?

Why do intentionally antagonize people to get a reaction for your enjoyment? That's just weird.

Do you think swear words are appropriate for children?
(10-04-2017, 11:23 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: It's exactly what I was thinking. 

Awhile back I worked as an NA on emergency psych unit (for 8yrs).  Though I'm not an expert it was my initial thought as well.

That's a tough call to make from a place like this.  Way too many variables on a message board.  None of the major symptoms would be observable here.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-04-2017, 10:52 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ah the old take your ball and going home. Fair enough.

Just called finally recognizing a lost cause.
(10-04-2017, 11:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's a tough call to make from a place like this.  Way too many variables on a message board.  None of the major symptoms would be observable here.  

You know what your right. Pretty tough place to make that call.

After all I don't really know GA9 errr I mean TommyC, errrr...I mean Stlucie?!?! Mellow
(10-04-2017, 11:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you think swear words are appropriate for children?

If schools don't need dress codes because parents should know what they wear to school then parents should keep their children away from websites intended for adults.

Stop deflecting and just answer the question.  What makes crap acceptable and shit offensive.  They are both just words which is your argument every time you lie about why the moderation team had to place ***** on the language filter.
(10-04-2017, 11:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's a tough call to make from a place like this.  Way too many variables on a message board.  None of the major symptoms would be observable here.  

That's true, but I have the necessary formal medical education and clinical experience to know when to suspect it when I observe certain behaviors.
(10-04-2017, 02:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's true, but I have the necessary formal medical education and clinical experience to know when to suspect it when I observe certain behaviors.

I have a hard time believing that a clinical psychiatrist would deem himself capable of making that diagnosis here.  There's just too much you can't observe or at least be told first hand.  

Paranoia.  Maybe. Low self-esteem.  Maybe. Fear of abandonment.  No.  Sudden mood swings including inappropriate rage. No.  Remorse following these outbursts?  No.   Quickly changing impressions of people from near adoration to near hate. No.  Self-injuring or sabotage?  Not unless they tell us.  

I'm sure there are plenty of other symptoms, but I'd say these are pretty big on the list.

Edit: I'll be honest, and I don't like saying this because I've always liked and respected you, and that won't change because of one thing I take exception to, but I find it extremely callous for a medical professional to be tossing out psychiatric diagnosis like this. OK on post 40 you said it's like he has it. Not so bad, until you reinforce your belief a couple posts up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Look up the definition of suspect and get back with me.  Did your daughter ever have a sore throat?  Did you suspect strep throat?  Does than mean you diagnosed your daughter?  You don't have to be a medical professional to suspect something.  But, it helps to know what to look for in order to suspect something in order to make a diagnosis.

People with a borderline personality disorder are always creating drama in their life and othe'rs life unnecessarily, difficult to deal with, and frequently pit others against each other with insults and flattery which flip flop depending on who they're talking to and the situation.

But, the number one thing is drama, drama, drama.  Like Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin Something."  You know someone like that.  Hell, you probably stopped dating someone like that because they were too much to deal with too often until you couldn't tolerate their crap any longer.

Let me ask a question and you don't need to answer: If I told you someone was banned from this forum again, what's the first name that pops into your head?
(10-04-2017, 03:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Look up the definition of suspect and get back with me.  Did your daughter ever have a sore throat?  Did you suspect strep throat?  Does than mean you diagnosed your daughter?  You don't have to be a medical professional to suspect something.  But, it helps to know what to look for in order to suspect something in order to make a diagnosis.

People with a borderline personality disorder are always creating drama in their life and othe'rs life unnecessarily, difficult to deal with, and frequently pit others against each other with insults and flattery which flip flop depending on who they're talking to and the situation.

But, the number one thing is drama, drama, drama.  Like Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin Something."  You know someone like that.  Hell, you probably stopped dating someone like that because they were too much to deal with too often until you couldn't tolerate their crap any longer.

But not drama for the sake of drama, and certainly not that alone.  

(10-04-2017, 03:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But not drama for the sake of drama, and certainly not that alone.  

No, not that alone.  That's why I wrote suspect.  It makes my Spidey Sense tingle.

How do you know when some is creating drama for the sake of drama and when they can't help themselves from creating drama? What if something prevented them from creating drama for one year, but the drama started again after the one year? Is the drama for the sake of drama or because they can't help it?
If any thread was going to devolve into this I thought for sure it would have been the "******" thread.  Maybe he didn't realize the entire intent of that thread? 

That's it from me, please carry on.
(10-04-2017, 03:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No, not that alone.  That's why I wrote suspect.  It makes my Spidey Sense tingle.

How do you know when some is creating drama for the sake of drama and when they can't help themselves from creating drama?  What if something prevented them from creating drama for one year, but the drama started again after the one year?  Is the drama for the sake of drama or because they can't help it?

Exactly.  We don't know.  Jesus we'd have to say every internet troll has BPD if that were the criterion.    

Nothing new under the sun in this thread.

Lucie says some words to push folks buttons

Folks retaliate by insulting Lucie

Just one more dynamic left..........
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-04-2017, 03:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing new under the sun in this thread.

Lucie says some words to push folks buttons

Folks retaliate by insulting Lucie

Just one more dynamic left..........

To be fair, the button pushing is going in both directions.