Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Boycott's
Milwaukee Bucks Protest

Surprised no one is talking about this.

The Bucks walked out of game 5 to protest the Jacob Blake shooting.

Lets stick to mostly NBA, though we can discuss the Jacob Blake shooting and thoughts on that as well. If anyone wants to talk about it at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 12:45 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Milwaukee Bucks Protest

Surprised no one is talking about this.

The Bucks walked out of game 5 to protest the Jacob Blake shooting.

Lets stick to mostly NBA, though we can discuss the Jacob Blake shooting and thoughts on that as well. If anyone wants to talk about it at all.

I'm not surprised one bit.  The general populace's give a sh*t factor about professional sports is as low as I have ever seen it.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 12:56 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I'm not surprised one bit.  The general populace's give a sh*t factor about professional sports is as low as I have ever seen it.  

I rather enjoyed Portland and LA's game 1 myself. One of the more fun games I've watched in a while.
Reply/Quote
If a tree falls in a forest....
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
MLB game cancelled too.

They are putting their money where their mouths are, IMHO.

Frankly I could live without pro sports completely if I had too but it's good to see the employees stand up if the owners will not.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 09:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: MLB game cancelled too.

Frankly I could live without pro sports completely if I had too but it's good to see the employees stand up if the owners will not.

We've already shown we can.  Of course I haven't had to miss out on the NFL, but as a Bengals fan, I think I'd recover.  OSU isn't going to play, and that stung, but I'm over it now.  Maybe we will all discover that these entertainment industries aren't all that important.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: We've already shown we can.  Of course I haven't had to miss out on the NFL, but as a Bengals fan, I think I'd recover.  OSU isn't going to play, and that stung, but I'm over it now.  Maybe we will all discover that these entertainment industries aren't all that important.  

Just more time for people to scroll through Facebook and buy stuff from Amazon. 
Reply/Quote
we may not have an NFL season at this rate. This keeps getting worse by the day. We have never been more divided as a country we have around 60% supporting BLM. 40% think they are an extremist terror organization. that's around Trump's approval/disapproval. We are definitely a nation divided right now that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 12:52 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we may not have an NFL season at this rate. This keeps getting worse by the day. We have never been more divided as a country we have around 60% supporting BLM. 40% think they are an extremist terror organization. that's around Trump's approval/disapproval. We are definitely a nation divided right now that's for sure.

Huh?

Think you're jumping off the deep-end a bit.

We'll be having a full slate of games this year' the only that will stop it is the Coronavirus.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Except when it comes to China.

Quote:Frankly I could live without pro sports completely if I had too but it's good to see the employees stand up if the owners will not.

I'm kind of here myself.  Every year I'm just a little less interested in pro sports, even the Steelers. Sad
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: We've already shown we can.  Of course I haven't had to miss out on the NFL, but as a Bengals fan, I think I'd recover.  OSU isn't going to play, and that stung, but I'm over it now.  Maybe we will all discover that these entertainment industries aren't all that important.  

Absolutely.  I used to be a huge movie fan, but  I've lived without Hollywood for 15 yrs now.  The only thing they do that I like anymore is the odd scary movie here and there.  Great action movies, westerns, and science fiction don't even exist these days.  I can't name one actor today less than  50 years old that is better than the top 100 actors from the 70's, 80's and 90's.   I don't even check for new releases.

Funny thing is I don't miss any of it.  

I have filled my Fall's with college football and NFL for a long time now, but if the pageantry and the sheer Americana of it is taken away, then I could learn to do without it too.    
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 06:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Except when it comes to China.

I'm kind of here myself.  Every year I'm just a little less interested in pro sports, even the Steelers. Sad

What's to look forward to after 6 Super Bowl Championships. Come be a Bengals fan. Who knows how many years you'll get to yearn for a Super Bowl title. Maybe the rest of your life.
Reply/Quote
Xba is going to be terrible.
Reply/Quote

Well I can't live without pro football. 

The other sports should definitely strike though.

More pressure for change.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

There's a huge difference in supporting the player boycott and not being horrified by the riots, looting and arson.
Reply/Quote
My main response to this hasn't really changed...I mean, it stinks that sports are affected but I realize there is a good chance that's just my straight, able-bodied, white, male privilege talking. Athletes can't really win because if they protest then they are being political sons of bitches who are ungrateful for their fortune in life, and if they don't then they are turncoats because their paychecks lead them to stop caring about "their people" so to speak.

But my main takeaway is that the time to complain about non-politicians making their political views known has passed since we made a non-politician celebrity the president. Go Celtics.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My main response to this hasn't really changed...I mean, it stinks that sports are affected but I realize there is a good chance that's just my straight, able-bodied, white, male privilege talking.  Athletes can't really win because if they protest then they are being political sons of bitches who are ungrateful for their fortune in life, and if they don't then they are turncoats because their paychecks lead them to stop caring about "their people" so to speak.

But my main takeaway is that the time to complain about non-politicians making their political views known has passed since we made a non-politician celebrity the president.  Go Celtics.

I was in Catholic grade school and they used to bus to the public school for gym / shop once a week. 

I had never played basket ball and was awful as a short fat kid...lol.  So I would go to the local park and practice shooting layups for hours.  As I got a little bit better and little bit more coordinated I started watching the NBA to "see" how they did things (I'm a very visual learner).  Larry Bird fascinated me because while he was tall and athletic and smart he seemed effortless.  In fact he rarely jumped.  I'm a lefty so I emulated his off to the side of the head shot and became a fan of them.  One of my best friends was a Lakers fan at the same time so it was fun to watch those match ups.  I lost interest in the league after high school but sill loved playing pick up games.

Nothing important.  Just an aside since you mentioned the Celtics.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 09:16 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Absolutely.  I used to be a huge movie fan, but  I've lived without Hollywood for 15 yrs now.  The only thing they do that I like anymore is the odd scary movie here and there.  Great action movies, westerns, and science fiction don't even exist these days.  I can't name one actor today less than  50 years old that is better than the top 100 actors from the 70's, 80's and 90's. 

Well, that narrows it down significantly as the majority of the top 100 actors were active in the 90s and earlier; that's like saying, "none of Coke/Pepsi's new products are as good as anything that was around in the 70s, 80s and 90s."

Yeah, great, but literally both companies have put out, what, 5 new flavours each, in the last 30 years?

Anyways, to try and open your mind a bit:

- Taron Edgerton (anything he's in is not bad, but Kingsman and Rocketman are the highlights).
- Ansel Elgort (I don't like ANYTHING he's been in lol, aside from Baby Driver, but he's an excellent actor. Baby Driver is a very good film).
- Chloe Grace Moretz (nothing she's been in has been a critical darling, but she's an excellent actress; has come a long way from her first few films).
- Andrew Garfield (has done a ton of things, with the Social Network and Hacksaw Ridge being the most-notable).
- Jessica Chastain/Bryce Dallas Howard (the lookalikes are also quite in demand and big, in 2020. The former does more serious roles, the latter does more enjoyable roles, but both are excellent actresses).

I'm not saying they are all world-beaters, but they can all stack up with the top 100 of those eras (maybe not Chloe lol).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, that narrows it down significantly as the majority of the top 100 actors were active in the 90s and earlier; that's like saying, "none of Coke/Pepsi's new products are as good as anything that was around in the 70s, 80s and 90s."

Yeah, great, but literally both companies have put out, what, 5 new flavours each, in the last 30 years?

Anyways, to try and open your mind a bit:

- Taron Edgerton (anything he's in is not bad, but Kingsman and Rocketman are the highlights).
- Ansel Elgort (I don't like ANYTHING he's been in lol, aside from Baby Driver, but he's an excellent actor. Baby Driver is a very good film).
- Chloe Grace Moretz (nothing she's been in has been a critical darling, but she's an excellent actress; has come a long way from her first few films).
- Andrew Garfield (has done a ton of things, with the Social Network and Hacksaw Ridge being the most-notable).
- Jessica Chastain/Bryce Dallas Howard (the lookalikes are also quite in demand and big, in 2020. The former does more serious roles, the latter does more enjoyable roles, but both are excellent actresses).

I'm not saying they are all world-beaters, but they can all stack up with the top 100 of those eras (maybe not Chloe lol).

Good list.  I'd add Adam Driver, who is the best actor of his generation in my opinion.  He was the only part of Disney Star Wars that was watchable.
Reply/Quote