Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA impossible to watch
They took the beautiful game, the perfect game, and created some monsterized, bastardized version of it in a tv studio.

They have advertising on the court, all over the arena, even on their damn jerseys, for crying out loud.

If it wasn't for being a Celtics fan since I learned to walk, I wouldn't be able to sit through five minutes of this artificially manufactured crap. And even then it's a struggle.

Congratulations, NBA, you ruined perfection.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
College basketball is WAY better anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The NBA has been ruined for a while.
Lack of competitive Balance, Season is to long, making Defense harder, college not developing talent, and analytics has made sports insufferable!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:42 PM)J24 Wrote: The NBA has been ruined for a while.
Lack of competitive Balance, Season is to long, making Defense harder, college not developing talent, and analytics has made sports insufferable!

Add to that that the game is nothing more than driving to the lane and shooting 3s....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I like the NBA.

Of course I am not so thin skinned that a few positive messages for social justice will destroy my world.

Now, if everyone starts playing like James Hardin on offense we can talk. But I am Nuggets fan and their offense is beautiful. Built on teamwork and the sweetest passing big man in the game. There is nothing at the college level that compares.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like the NBA.

Of course I am not so thin skinned that a few positive messages for social justice will destroy my world.

Now, if everyone starts playing like James Hardin on offense we can talk. But I am Nuggets fan and their offense is beautiful. Built on teamwork and the sweetest passing big man in the game. There is nothing at the college level that compares.

The Nuggets are rolling right now, and I agree... That's the brand of basketball that I like to watch.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah as the ratings are flopping over in the NBA BTW!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
All of the BLM messages made the NBA unwatchable to many fans.
Reply/Quote
The league is obviously not catering (selling) to my demographic, ie middle-aged men that recall the 80's and 90's teams/games of their youth. They want the young fans and customers, just as almost every major business does anymore.

I hate the player-driven superteazm league. I hate that some teams seem to exist only as cannon fodder and farm teams for the super teams. Why would anyone invest time in that? I also strongly dislike the advertising swell.

Doesn't matter what I think, though. It will not change. There are enough people out there who watch to see the players. Has anyone checked out the prices on basketball collector cards lately? Holy shit. It's damn near impossible to buy the ones that have any demand in retail stores, and the secondary market gouging is insane. Somebody clearly loves this stuff.
Reply/Quote
And what's worse is that none of the Cavaliers games are on live TV with my DirecTV Streaming service...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 03:03 PM)samhain Wrote: The league is obviously not catering (selling) to my demographic, ie middle-aged men that recall the 80's and 90's teams/games of their youth.  They want the young fans and customers, just as almost every major business does anymore.  

I hate the player-driven superteazm league.  I hate that some teams seem to exist only as cannon fodder and farm teams for the super teams.  Why would anyone invest time in that?  I also strongly dislike the advertising swell.

Doesn't matter what I think, though.  It will not change.  There are enough people out there who watch to see the players.  Has anyone checked out the prices on basketball collector cards lately?  Holy shit.  It's damn near impossible to buy the ones that have any demand in retail stores, and the secondary market gouging is insane.  Somebody clearly loves this stuff.

If you hate the super teams (which i do too) then you should checkout the Suns.  Sure they have an old CP3 (a la Steve Nash) but it's a well rounded team.  

For example, they have 8 players averaging over 10 points per game with Booker being the highest at 23...putting him something like 17th in the league in scoring.

The Suns are a great example of team basketball and it's no surprise they're winning that way.  

I'll add i do think it's a bit unfair for anyone to call the Warriors a super team (not sure if you're implying they are)....it's not their fault they drafted Curry, Green, Thompson, and Poole....that's just excellent Front Office work.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 08:49 PM)basballguy Wrote: If you hate the super teams (which i do too) then you should checkout the Suns.  Sure they have an old CP3 (a la Steve Nash) but it's a well rounded team.  

For example, they have 8 players averaging over 10 points per game with Booker being the highest at 23...putting him something like 17th in the league in scoring.

The Suns are a great example of team basketball and it's no surprise they're winning that way.  

I'll add i do think it's a bit unfair for anyone to call the Warriors a super team (not sure if you're implying they are)....it's not their fault they drafted Curry, Green, Thompson, and Poole....that's just excellent Front Office work.  

The Warriors were a super team, but then Durant left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I stopped watching the NBA when Jordan left the Bulls. During that time in the 90s, there was always the anticipation of seeing "the next Jordan". Jerry Stackhouse. Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner. Vince "Air Canada" Carter.... However, in 1992, I thought one player fit the bill, a rookie on Golden State. He moved fluidly through the lane with the ball. Back then if you ran into the paint you would also run into elbows with no foul calls. This kid went in untouched a lot of times. He could also shoot from the arc. Then in 1994, he put the league on notice. He torched the Knicks (considered one of the most brutal defensive teams at the time) for 41 points. He was the closest thing to Jordan I have ever seen. Until he went snuffleuppagus nutso and choked his coach. What a shame, all that talent. When he came to the Knicks, I got to watch him more when the Bulls weren't being televised in my area.

It wasn't until January 2011 when I was at my in-laws, one of the brothers being a huge New York fan (Yankees/Knicks/Giants/Rangers), that I became interested in watching basketball again. He turned on the TV to watch the last half/quarter of the game. There was a bench player, a curiosity, a Harvard graduate much like Fitzpatrick, who was usually put in during the last quarter. I asked him why just watch now, the game is almost over. He said there was one guy he liked to watch - Jeremy Lin. That guy was not graceful, but you can see he played hard and with heart no matter what the score. He played harder than a few who were starting. I come to find out he has a huge Asian following in New York City. His unpolished style was actually fun to watch. "Linsanity".... He could have made a lot in endorsements. To bad a scumbag found him to be a threat and drove him out of town. Thank you, Carmelo Anthony. You suck.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 10:34 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I stopped watching the NBA when Jordan left the Bulls. During that time in the 90s, there was always the anticipation of seeing "the next Jordan". Jerry Stackhouse. Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner. Vince "Air Canada" Carter.... However, in 1992, I thought one player fit the bill, a rookie on Golden State. He moved fluidly through the lane with the ball. Back then if you ran into the paint you would also run into elbows with no foul calls. This kid went in untouched a lot of times. He could also shoot from the arc. Then in 1994, he put the league on notice. He torched the Knicks (considered one of the most brutal defensive teams at the time) for 41 points. He was the closest thing to Jordan I have ever seen. Until he went snuffleuppagus nutso and choked his coach. What a shame, all that talent. When he came to the Knicks, I got to watch him more when the Bulls weren't being televised in my area.

It wasn't until January 2011 when I was at my in-laws, one of the brothers being a huge New York fan (Yankees/Knicks/Giants/Rangers), that I became interested in watching basketball again. He turned on the TV to watch the last half/quarter of the game. There was a bench player, a curiosity, a Harvard graduate much like Fitzpatrick, who was usually put in during the last quarter. I asked him why just watch now, the game is almost over. He said there was one guy he liked to watch - Jeremy Lin. That guy was not graceful, but you can see he played hard and with heart no matter what the score. He played harder than a few who were starting. I come to find out he has a huge Asian following in New York City. His unpolished style was actually fun to watch. "Linsanity".... He could have made a lot in endorsements. To bad a scumbag found him to be a threat and drove him out of town. Thank you, Carmelo Anthony. You suck.

It IS a damned shame that Sprewell is mostly remembered for the Carlesimo incident... Like you said; he was badass when teamed with Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullen. Then for that one year a rookie Chris Webber also entered the mix.

You Jeremy Lin story is kinda funny. Dude blew up for like 3 weeks, and never did it again. It was a cool story while it lasted though. Hustle guys are always big in New York. The king was John Starks, but Emmanuel Quickly is probably the current fan favorite.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 06:00 PM)McC Wrote: They took the beautiful game, the perfect game, and created some monsterized, bastardized version of it in a tv studio.

They have advertising on the court, all over the arena, even on their damn jerseys, for crying out loud.

If it wasn't for being a Celtics fan since I learned to walk, I wouldn't be able to sit through five minutes of this artificially manufactured crap.  And even then it's a struggle.

Congratulations, NBA, you ruined perfection.

NFL sometimes appears to be artificially manufactured as well. Is there anything real in this world. How many commercial breaks do NFL players need? Stop going to commercial after every punt!

Or do what golf does, commercials on a split screen. Ain't nobody watching one side.
Reply/Quote