Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC, SI say Burfict should be banned from football
(10-17-2018, 03:55 PM)RobertG Wrote: Sports Illustrated also blamed Marvin and the rest of the Bengals for Burfict's play.  A permanent ban seems harsh, but I agree that somebody on the team should have a talk with him.  If Marvin won't do it, somebody else should.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/17/vontaze-burfict-bengals-violent-play

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/bengals-vontaze-burfict-should-not-be-nfl-mike-florio-says?cid=eref:nbcnews:video

Someone should send them a video with nothing but cheap shots by Mike Mitchell, Ryan Shazier, James Harrison, Hines Ward, and any other Steeler with the subject line being "How did we get here? This is how"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Folks, I totally understand the hypocrisy. We all know the Steelers are dirty and have always been dirty. Just because a Steeler makes a dirty hit or play doesn't somehow make it okay for a Bengals player to do the same thing. Dirty is dirty.

The biggest issue with Burfict is that he doesn't clean it up which costs him playing time. People constantly talk about him being the heart and soul of the defense, the fire, and the leader. It doesn't matter if he's not on the field though. Whether you think the hit on Brown was clean or not doesn't matter. He's going to make a play like that and end up getting suspended for more of this season or for next season. That's what hurts the team most. Who cares if Ben and the Steelers whine and cry or if Florio writes another article. It hurts our team to not have Burfict on the field. I couldn't care less about the public perception of the team. It bothers me that someone we all feel is so important to the success of our defense continues to put himself in a position to miss time.

It doesn't make me a bad fan, a *****, or anything like that. I want him to play smarter so he can play more and help the team. There was no reason to even go for the hit on Brown. 2 players already had Brown wrapped up and were taking him to the ground. Let it go. Don't risk a penalty, fine, or suspension over a hit that is completely unnecessary.

As for the "You're next", I'm sure Burfict and 90% of the players in the league say a lot worse on the field. I know I did. I just think people are focusing too much on this stupid article. Focus on what really matters. Burfict needs to be more aware of the persona and reputation he created and clean it up some. That doesn't mean he can't hit people hard, it doesn't mean he can't be intense, and it doesn't mean he can't intimidate. Just stop doing the dumb shit that is going to cost him games that the team needs him for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m over him. Happy if he stays but won’t care if he’s gone. It’s the core of why this team hasn’t got over the hump.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:22 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Folks, I totally understand the hypocrisy. We all know the Steelers are dirty and have always been dirty. Just because a Steeler makes a dirty hit or play doesn't somehow make it okay for a Bengals player to do the same thing. Dirty is dirty.

The biggest issue with Burfict is that he doesn't clean it up which costs him playing time. People constantly talk about him being the heart and soul of the defense, the fire, and the leader. It doesn't matter if he's not on the field though. Whether you think the hit on Brown was clean or not doesn't matter. He's going to make a play like that and end up getting suspended for more of this season or for next season. That's what hurts the team most. Who cares if Ben and the Steelers whine and cry or if Florio writes another article. It hurts our team to not have Burfict on the field. I couldn't care less about the public perception of the team. It bothers me that someone we all feel is so important to the success of our defense continues to put himself in a position to miss time.

It doesn't make me a bad fan, a *****, or anything like that. I want him to play smarter so he can play more and help the team. There was no reason to even go for the hit on Brown. 2 players already had Brown wrapped up and were taking him to the ground. Let it go. Don't risk a penalty, fine, or suspension over a hit that is completely unnecessary.

As for the "You're next", I'm sure Burfict and 90% of the players in the league say a lot worse on the field. I know I did. I just think people are focusing too much on this stupid article. Focus on what really matters. Burfict needs to be more aware of the persona and reputation he created and clean it up some. That doesn't mean he can't hit people hard, it doesn't mean he can't be intense, and it doesn't mean he can't intimidate. Just stop doing the dumb shit that is going to cost him games that the team needs him for.

Well, given the fact that he wasn't even flagged by the group of striped Goodell toadie incompetents, you whole argument falls flat on its face.  Two games, zero flags.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When was the last time he twisted someone’s ankle or nut sack? He must still be doing it and I just continue to miss since people are still crying about it.

And for the record I don’t defend or condone that kind of stuff either, it’s embarrassing, and I’d be super pissed if another team did it to a Bengals player, but damn do people love to bring up ancient history. Guess that’s why Mixon still has to hear about an incident that happened when he was a teenager.

His cheap shot at brown that took out bates was only a few days ago. Not exactly ancient history.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Someone should send them a video with nothing but cheap shots by Mike Mitchell, Ryan Shazier, James Harrison, Hines Ward, and any other Steeler with the subject line being "How did we get here? This is how"

You could probably put together quite the video of Thug DeCastro diving at knees for sixty minutes every Bengals vs. Steeler games too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:26 AM)McC Wrote: Well, given the fact that he wasn't even flagged by the group of striped Goodell toadie incompetents, you whole argument falls flat on its face.  Two games, zero flags.

No, it doesn't. Just because he got away with one doesn't mean it's not going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:28 AM)motoarch Wrote: His cheap shot at brown that took out bates was only a few days ago.  Not exactly ancient history.

You mean the one that wasn't even penalized by the crew of striped assholes who grab for their flags every time Burfict moves toward the ball?  That hit?  You get trollier by the day.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:29 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: No, it doesn't. Just because he got away with one doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Is that what your crystal ball says?   Two games, no flags.  What do your psychic abilities say about that?

Personally, I think any time anyone gets a shot at that loud mouth scumbag pissant, make it count and make it hurt.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:31 AM)McC Wrote: Is that what your crystal ball says?   Two games, no flags.  What do your psychic abilities say about that?

Personally, I think any time anyone gets a shot at that loud mouth scumbag pissant, make it count and make it hurt.

No, no crystal ball needed. Burfict's history of getting penalized, fined, and suspended is enough to say it's a matter of when not if.

I don't care if Burfict gives Brown, Schuster, Ben, or any Steeler brain damage as long as it's a clean hit that doesn't get him suspended. I don't know why that's so hard for people to grasp. For someone that so many fans say is so important to the team, don't you want him to stop doing the things that get him suspended? Wouldn't you want him playing 16 games instead of maybe 12?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:22 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Folks, I totally understand the hypocrisy. We all know the Steelers are dirty and have always been dirty. Just because a Steeler makes a dirty hit or play doesn't somehow make it okay for a Bengals player to do the same thing. Dirty is dirty.

When was the last time he was suspended for something egregious done in-game? The most recent suspension was for offseason PED use and the time before that was for a hit that arguably didn't break the rules (and wasn't even a big hit). 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:35 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: No, no crystal ball needed. Burfict's history of getting penalized, fined, and suspended is enough to say it's a matter of when not if.

I don't care if Burfict gives Brown, Schuster, Ben, or any Steeler brain damage as long as it's a clean hit that doesn't get him suspended. I don't know why that's so hard for people to grasp. For someone that so many fans say is so important to the team, don't you want him to stop doing the things that get him suspended? Wouldn't you want him playing 16 games instead of maybe 12?

Two games, no penalties.  It seems recent history is squarely on my side.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:36 AM)PhilHos Wrote: When was the last time he was suspended for something egregious done in-game? The most recent suspension was for offseason PED use and the time before that was for a hit that arguably didn't break the rules (and wasn't even a big hit). 

But he keeps getting suspended. What has it been, 3-4 consecutive seasons he's been suspended? If he is the leader of the defense, if he is so important to our success, shouldn't we want him to play a full season? Making better decisions (which includes PED use) could help make that happen. Why is it such a horrible thing to want the guy to play every game?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:38 AM)McC Wrote: Two games, no penalties.  It seems recent history is squarely on my side.

Sure thing. You're right. 2 games definitely shows he's turned everything around.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:26 AM)McC Wrote: Well, given the fact that he wasn't even flagged by the group of striped Goodell toadie incompetents, you whole argument falls flat on its face.  Two games, zero flags.

That's an awfully low bar...
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:39 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: But he keeps getting suspended. What has it been, 3-4 consecutive seasons he's been suspended? If he is the leader of the defense, if he is so important to our success, shouldn't we want him to play a full season? Making better decisions (which includes PED use) could help make that happen. Why is it such a horrible thing to want the guy to play every game?

It's not, but you sound as if you're HOPING he gets suspended again.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:39 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: But he keeps getting suspended. What has it been, 3-4 consecutive seasons he's been suspended? If he is the leader of the defense, if he is so important to our success, shouldn't we want him to play a full season? Making better decisions (which includes PED use) could help make that happen. Why is it such a horrible thing to want the guy to play every game?

While I see how the philosophy of "Once a screwup, always a screwup" is often right on the money, I don't believe it is always true.  On that, we differ.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 08:57 AM)motoarch Wrote: When he took out Bell (twice) I defended him because he was playing hard and didn’t intend to hurt him.  When he landed on the rapist that plays qb for Pitt in the 2015 playoff I cheered because even if he did intend to hurt ben he did it the right way.  It was as clean and brutal of a hit as they come.

What I won’t defend is unecessry brutal hits that are intended only to hurt others.  I know we already argued the hit on brown and if it also hurt bates and I believe it did.  We all saw him twisting ankles against the panthers.  The list of this kind of behavior goes on and on and has been and continues to be detrimental to the team and a distraction.

Because I am a fan of the team I don’t want burfict on it.  I’m not going to cheer for someone simply because they play for the team I like.  That’s silly.  That’s not what makes you a fan.  

If everyone played with his energy and passion this team would be unstoppable and I respect that about him.  What I don’t respect is the extra little things he does that embarrass the team time and again.  We as fans can defend it and say we’ll what about when so and so from team x did this?  But it doesn’t matter anymore because everyone outside Cincinnati clearly only cares what burfict does.  We have to accept that.  If you revel in being the bad guy and like that image that’s fine.  I can respect that about you.  It’s the identity you want and the way you enjoy the game.  I don’t.  I played DE.  I’ve laid some heavy hits and been laid out but some.  That’s what the games about and I love that.  What I don’t love is some punk trying to twist my nut sack at the bottom of a pile when no one else can see it.  Real men don’t do stuff like that.  You know who does?  Trash.

Cry me a river Cry 

When the rest of the league is held to the same standard as Burfict I'll care.  Until then I don't want to hear about anything from the league or media in regards to Burfict.  What he does pales in comparison to what the Steelers have done over the years, constantly using the crown of the helmet as weapons, to the point of putting players out of games or sending them to the OR and out for the year (Keith Rivers, Kevin Huber, list goes on).  And don't compare the hit Burfict had on LeVeon Bell which was a perfect tackle.

Tired of it.  Until the league holds everyone to the same standard I'm glad he's on our team.

For crying out loud, Shazier paralyzed himself using the typical Steeler tactics of leading with the head.  And what do we here from the league?  Crickets..... no what you hear is "poor Shazier, what a tragedy".  And yes it was, but also condemn the action.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:41 AM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not, but you sound as if you're HOPING he gets suspended again.

Absolutely not. I want him on the field. He is important to the team. I just keep saying hits like the one on Brown are the things that could cost him time again. I want him to stop doing that kind of stuff. The problem is calling him out on it or trying to hold him accountable for poor decision making gets everyone riled up.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:44 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Absolutely not. I want him on the field. He is important to the team. I just keep saying hits like the one on Brown are the things that could cost him time again. I want him to stop doing that kind of stuff. The problem is calling him out on it or trying to hold him accountable for poor decision making gets everyone riled up.

Pacman also 100% agrees with this statement. 
Reply/Quote