Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State football - Week 1
I was very unimpressed with the first half. How they were not able to run the ball a little more effectively at first was very troubling to me. I think some of that was play calling, and also the line getting beat, but there's no excuse for us to not score a TD until the second half of the game. We just came out flat...after getting smoked by Clemson! Also JT was "meh" to me. I can see he has slightly better mechanics, but his accuracy is why he'll have a hard time finding an NFL team to take him in a higher round. I will wait until the Oklahoma game to see if he gets better.

On a good note, the defensive line was dominant. They certainly lived up to the hype, even though IU game-planned around not letting them beat them, and letting our corners do that, and they underachieved. I was upset that Schiano didn't give help over the top sooner. They had nothing at all for the Dobbins and Lagow connection. Yeah they would of hit us over the middle a bit more, but those passes are also riskier and you can get a little more creative with have a DE pop out every now and then (Sound familiar Bengals fans?). The defense also has crazy good speed and very well coached. If they can get those CBs coached up a bit more, this D could be very, very nasty.

The offense was more worrisome IMO. I didn't notice many different things at all with the addition of Day and Wilson. Tempo? Ground game? Vertical game? It was like he took the same playbook we've had the past two-three years and called the same exact plays, in the same exact order as last year. You run to setup the pass, and when you pass, you try to attack all areas of the field...not just the flats/crossing routes. The second half they started using more of the field and it paid off. The WR are probably to blame for that, but you let them either make the play or find someone who will.

Overall, I will gladly take the win and happy Ohio State football is back!!

Go Bucks!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 11:49 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: there's no excuse for us to not score a TD until the second half of the game

Did you mean second quarter?

I think they came out and moved the ball well the opening drive and just got cocky and felt it would be an easy win before realizing they were going to have to bust their asses and work hard for it.

Hopefully the lesson was learned to take nothing for granted!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:44 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Did you mean second quarter?

I think they came out and moved the ball well the opening drive and just got cocky and felt it would be an easy win before realizing they were going to have to bust their asses and work hard for it.

Hopefully the lesson was learned to take nothing for granted!

My bad, yes, second quarter. It felt a lot like last year and I didn't like it to much. I am not angry or bitter or anything, but I am glad they fixed it at halftime. Hopefully they take that gameplan into the OU game this weekend. 
Reply/Quote
Im still not a fan of the offensive spread scheme. Maybe it is the best to run though with the limitations of Barrett. Who by the way is not an NFL caliber quarterback. He might be a backup at best, even then I doubt it.

I do like the freshman back Dobbins. Kid looks like he has a bright future ahead of him.

D-line on paper should be the backbone of the defense. Got some horses up there.

We'll know more about this team against OU. But at the moment, I dont see how they can be ranked #2 in the polls.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im still not a fan of the offensive spread scheme. Maybe it is the best to run though with the limitations of Barrett. Who by the way is not an NFL caliber quarterback. He might be a backup at best, even then I doubt it.

I do like the freshman back Dobbins. Kid looks like he has a bright future ahead of him.

D-line on paper should be the backbone of the defense. Got some horses up there.

We'll know more about this team against OU. But at the moment, I dont see how they can be ranked #2 in the polls.

I saw alot of things that justify #2, but yea, they surely didn't look like a #2 team the first half. But after watching a lot of other games (UCLA, USC, BAMA, etc) we're not the only ones who started really slow. I am going to the game this weekend. Cannot wait to see what they have for OU. If it was anything remotely close to IU, they're in some real trouble. 
Reply/Quote