Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEGATIVE REP
(10-23-2015, 09:35 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's pretty much my thoughts on it too. I prefer a discussion if I disagree with someone or if someone has an issue with something that I say. Some people around here already made their snide comments in positive rep messages to others instead of actually confronting the person in the thread or via PM with their issue.

This is going to lead to more bad than it is good. I have no idea how giving people another outlet for negativity is somehow going to cause a positive change. We'll see how it goes though. There's already a report button for "bad" posts, and it has been said in this thread that the negative rep isn't supposed to be there for just something a person disagrees with. Sooooo...what's the actual point of this? If we aren't supposed to use it for disagreeing, and the report button already exists and gets used...... Mellow

Also, people WILL use it for disagreements. I've had it happen to me plenty of times on the old board. Arguments about sports, politics, and everything else discussed on these boards tend to get heated at times. If we're "adults", as the admins say, people should be able to use the negative reputation feature when it's actually justified and not just for a simple disagreement. That won't happen though, and it's going to lead to a lot of problems.

Neg rep is not for someone you disagree with.

It's for flagrant trolling, insulting, threatening and toxic people.

No one here is advocating to use it when they disagree with someone.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 10:08 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Neg rep is not for someone you disagree with.

No one in here is advocating it, but that's exactly what it will be used for (IMO). That's my point. There's no way to force people to only use it as it's "supposed" to be used for.

I'm all for anything on a trial run, and the mods/admins think it's a good idea so I'm interested to see it. My opinion remains that once everyone realizes it's there and starts utilizing it, it's just going to cause more harm than it does good, but we'll see.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 10:08 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Neg rep is not for someone you disagree with.

Then we should have a "kill" button. Ninja
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This gonna get interesting.

I've never negged anyone and I've only received it once I think. I try to pass out positive rep as much as I can, but if someone I've had a disagreement in the past makes a great point about something, most times I simply won't rep them. That's my 'neg' rep system. Sometimes though, if a great point has been made, I have to give positive rep where it's due, even if it's for someone I'm indifferent to. That's just one way to handle pos/neg rep.

This is such a great community that I hope we can adjust accordingly because I don't wanna see anyone get in trouble using this new feature.

Personally, that was my hope. We're mostly adults here given the nature of the board. As adults, you hope everyone will use their head, act mature and treat others accordingly. The easiest way to handle trolling or bad posters is to ignore them, report them so the mods have a heads up (we can't look at every post as soon as it's posted) and then move on.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of that happening. People are getting personal grudges, some are saying things just for attention and others are just using the board as vehicle to cause other people misery. That is not what we wanted, and that's not what the board is here for. First and foremost, it's a place for Bengals fans to gather. For guys like me who live far out of market, it's some of the only interaction I get with other Bengals fans on a regular basis (my son, for some reason, is a Saints fan and I feel like I've failed him there, but that's off topic).

Hopefully, this will encourage people to think before they post.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 10:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Yes! I loved me some negative rep on the old boards. I never used it, and then one day k realized how serious people took that number and I amped up my usage. The butthurt was thick.

I have no issue with negative rep.

However, your obvious goal creates a great reason why the mods may have to remove it.
I am not sure the intent of adding negative reps is to increase more "BUTTHURT" as you stated.

One suggestion I have would be in extreme cases, the mods having the ability to remove it they see iy is being used for the wrong reasons.

I love the board and I think Bengalholic and the mods have created a fair board to post comments and threads now, but I applaud them for always looking for ways to get better.

I would hope members would not purposely use the negative reps to make their jobs harder and think long and hard how they are or if they are going to use it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 12:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Personally, that was my hope. We're mostly adults here given the nature of the board. As adults, you hope everyone will use their head, act mature and treat others accordingly. The easiest way to handle trolling or bad posters is to ignore them, report them so the mods have a heads up (we can't look at every post as soon as it's posted) and then move on.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of that happening. People are getting personal grudges, some are saying things just for attention and others are just using the board as vehicle to cause other people misery. That is not what we wanted, and that's not what the board is here for. First and foremost, it's a place for Bengals fans to gather. For guys like me who live far out of market, it's some of the only interaction I get with other Bengals fans on a regular basis (my son, for some reason, is a Saints fan and I feel like I've failed him there, but that's off topic).

Hopefully, this will encourage people to think before they post.

Not really a question about neg rep but rep in general. Are we suppose to be able to rep the same post multiple times?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 12:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have no issue with negative rep.

However, your obvious goal creates a great reason why the mods may have to remove it.
I am not sure the intent of adding negative reps is to increase more "BUTTHURT" as you stated.

One suggestion I have would be in extreme cases, the mods having the ability to remove it they see iy is being used for the wrong reasons.

I love the board and I think Bengalholic and the mods have created a fair board to post comments and threads now, but I applaud them for always looking for ways to get better.

I would hope members would not purposely use the negative reps to make their jobs harder and think long and hard how they are or if they are going to use it.

The purpose of the rep function is to show agreement or the lack thereof.  When someone makes a great post, I rep them positively for it.  When someone makes an idiotic post, I'll rep them red.

The butthurt part is just amusement though.  It's like an added feature of the board.  When I've given out negative rep, I've gotten it back from that person (usually with a douchebaggy and butthurt comment), without exception.  People don't do this with green rep.  There is no need to reciprocate the rep, people just see it, pat themselves on the back for a good post, and move on.  People flip their lids over negative rep though. It's just amusing....especially when people claim to not care about their "imaginary internet points".  

Usually, when I get retaliatory red rep, I'll hit them back with 5 reds or so.  People usually don't do it back because they see that I mean business.

So...I will give it out as I see fit, and enjoy the ensuing meltdowns.  
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Considering I haven't spent the last 3 hours neg-repping the blatant racism that go on in P&R, I think I can say that it won't be abused too much.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 09:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Considering I haven't spent the last 3 hours neg-repping the blatant racism that go on in P&R, I think I can say that it won't be abused too much.

Can't you see this man is a neg....

[Image: Blazing-Saddles-mel-brooks-17584993-707-361.jpg]

Can't you see this man is a neg-repper?!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 08:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The purpose of the rep function is to show agreement or the lack thereof.  When someone makes a great post, I rep them positively for it.  When someone makes an idiotic post, I'll rep them red.

The butthurt part is just amusement though.  It's like an added feature of the board.  When I've given out negative rep, I've gotten it back from that person (usually with a douchebaggy and butthurt comment), without exception.  People don't do this with green rep.  There is no need to reciprocate the rep, people just see it, pat themselves on the back for a good post, and move on.  People flip their lids over negative rep though. It's just amusing....especially when people claim to not care about their "imaginary internet points".  

Usually, when I get retaliatory red rep, I'll hit them back with 5 reds or so.  People usually don't do it back because they see that I mean business.

So...I will give it out as I see fit, and enjoy the ensuing meltdowns.  

I like meltdowns.  Proceed on my good man.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Is the amount of rep you can give still based on post count and not your rep?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I remember the last negative rep I received negative rep at the old boards. It was from ishouldbegm. I thought it was hilarious.

Negative rep - criticism from someone a person doesn't even really know on an anonymous message board - is not something to get worked up over. If someone is going to get butthurt over negative rep, odds are pretty good that action wasn't truly prompted by the negative rep. That's just how they are. They were inevitably going to get butthurt over something in this forum.

That said, when someone does show that vulnerability, there is sometimes a tendency for a group of members to target that individual (*cough* RRR *cough*). It effectively becomes a form of bullying. Again, though, this can very easily happen without negative rep as well.

Ultimately, I don't think implementing negative rep changes much. It really only give members just one more way to privately express what they already express publicly.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 08:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The purpose of the rep function is to show agreement or the lack thereof. 

No it is not.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No it is not.

Cool. For me it is. 

Either that or when someone makes a legitimately good or bad post.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:15 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Cool. For me it is. 

Either that or when someone makes a legitimately good or bad post.

Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Just mentioning disagreeing with a post is not justification for the neg rep as the Mods described it. We can only hope it doesn't get abused

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 01:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Just mentioning disagreeing with a post is not justification for the neg rep as the Mods described it. We can only hope it doesn't get abused

If agreeing with a post is grounds for reaping someone green, then why is disagreeing not grounds for replying someone red?  I'm not talking about disagreeing on whether Hill is gonna have a big game or if Breaking Bad is the best show of all time. I'm talking about legit disagreements when someone says some idiotic garbage.

I'm not going to go around red reaping everyone, agreement/disagreement and approval/disapproval are what the whole rep function is for....be it green or red.

Far more often, I'll use it as a joke, like I have thrice in this thread.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 02:15 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If agreeing with a post is grounds for reaping someone green, then why is disagreeing not grounds for replying someone red?  I'm not talking about disagreeing on whether Hill is gonna have a big game or if Breaking Bad is the best show of all time. I'm talking about legit disagreements when someone says some idiotic garbage.

I'm not going to go around red reaping everyone, agreement/disagreement and approval/disapproval are what the whole rep function is for....be it green or red.

Far more often, I'll use it as a joke, like I have thrice in this thread.

bfine32 Wrote:Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Just mentioning disagreeing with a post is not justification for the neg rep as the Mods described it. We can only hope it doesn't get abused

Reply/Quote
Make that 4X...
LFG  

Reply/Quote
Why are you so worried about protecting your precious fake internet points. I will green when I want and I will red when I want. YOu or anyone else that wants to whine about it will get much much more of the same from me. I see that type of weakness and I want to poke it with a stick.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
I should red everyone in this thread including myself. Ya'll suck.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote