Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW START COMING FOR P&R
On Monday, P&R will be closing down for a week. When it comes back, things will be a little different. 

There will be two different sections. One will be a P&R Archive, which will include everything that is currently included in this forum. All threads will be locked, but still viewable. There will be a new section called P&R 2.0 that will house all new threads starting a week from Monday. 

This is a fresh start for P&R and hopefully it will provide a much better experience for members who don't want/enjoy the toxic atmosphere of the current forum. Every member will get the opportunity to start fresh with how they behave and interact in the new P&R. Any member who demonstrates they can't follow the rules or conduct themselves appropriately will subject to disciplinary action. If the problems continue. the member will find himself banned from participating in P&R at all going forward. The rules and moderation will be pretty simple:

The following violations will result in disciplinary action:

Personal/character attacks of a member (insults, name calling, belittling).
Intentionally derailing or hijacking a thread with something off-topic or from another thread.
Making posts/threads that call out members/staff, are meant to provoke, or using any slurs/derogatory terms. 

A member who is found to be violating these, as determined by the staff, will receive the following actions:

1st offense: Official Warning (can be erased if 6 months without another issue).
2nd offense: One month suspension from P&R.
3rd offense: Six month suspension from P&R.
4th offense: Permanently banned from P&R.

As I said, moving forward with the new P&R, every member has the opportunity to start fresh...with their approach, behavior and interaction style. The rules are simple enough to follow and every member will be completely responsible for their own actions. 

Hopefully, everyone will take this opportunity to clean P&R up and make the revamped version a much better place.
Sounds good to me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4788214357acadf2e86a...=giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
So we can act a fool between now and Monday?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Group effort, people. Let's do it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I guess I'm not on here enough to see the reasons for all the hurt feelings.
I thought this was supposed to be the place for bickering and belittling?

Also what on earth is Dino going to do for a week?
(07-03-2020, 09:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I guess I'm not on here enough to see the reasons for all the hurt feelings.

Yeah, I'm not involved with most of the threads in here. I pop in mostly for the funny pics and the occasional current event.

This may sound childish but I might suggest the funny political humor thread be split into Blue and Red because almost all of those jokes are intended to insult one side or the other. If someone ventures into the "other side" and argues, that's on them and they're responsible. That's a lot different than if you go into a comedy thread and instantly get offended before you see something funny
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
‘Holic, I’ll freely admit to being one of the people testing the limits of this place at times. I will commit to making this place more civil. What I would ask is that more attention is paid to the group belittling of dissenting opinions. I can’t tell you how many rep messages I get telling me they stopped posting in P&R because they get ganged up on and condescended to by the same group of posters. This happens to me as well, but I’ll tend to respond to such behavior by firing back. Then it become a self feeding cycle.

If we’re serious about changing this sub forum for the better this absolutely needs to be addressed. Just my opinion of course, but I’m reasonably sure they are numerous other posters in agreement with this.
(07-04-2020, 12:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What I would ask is that more attention is paid to the group belittling of dissenting opinions.

I understand avoiding personal attacks, but it is impossible to discuss issues without criticizing opinions.

How would you draw the line?

And how do you determin which side is "dissenting" when they are both disagreeing with each other?
(07-04-2020, 12:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  I can’t tell you how many rep messages I get telling me they stopped posting in P&R because they get ganged up on and condescended to by the same group of posters.

Why can't you tell us?

Who are these "many people"who send you all of thes rep messages?
(07-04-2020, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand avoiding personal attacks, but it is impossible to discuss issues without criticizing opinions.

How would you draw the line?

And how do you determin which side is "dissenting" when they are both disagreeing with each other?

One of the rep messages I got recently put it perfectly, "coordinated condescension".  It's almost like my bringing this up summoned you.  Maybe you can do you part to break up the Mean Girls clique that seems to think this sub forum is their table in the cafeteria?  We might actually get more people, with a wider array of opinions, posting in this sub forum again.
(07-04-2020, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why can't you tell us?

Who are these "many people"who send you all of thes rep messages?

Rep messages are private, if those people want to come forward that's their business.  If you don't believe me then I honestly couldn't care less.
(07-04-2020, 12:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: ‘Holic, I’ll freely admit to being one of the people testing the limits of this place at times. I will commit to making this place more civil. What I would ask is that more attention is paid to the group belittling of dissenting opinions. I can’t tell you how many rep messages I get telling me they stopped posting in P&R because they get ganged up on and condescended to by the same group of posters. This happens to me as well, but I’ll tend to respond to such behavior by firing back. Then it become a self feeding cycle.

If we’re serious about changing this sub forum for the better this absolutely needs to be addressed. Just my opinion of course, but I’m reasonably sure they are numerous other posters in agreement with this.

EVERY person that has posted in this forum has attacked another poster at one time or the other; however. what you assert here is what I have called the "lynch-mob mentality" and it's practiced  frequently, by those who claim to be aloof and accuse others of "toxic" posting. Hell, most of the time they're piling on by adding nothing to the discussion other than asserting their aloofness and calling folks they have a difference of opinion with "toxic"

This happened to me once when I was having a back and forth on a subject and one of the "not me's" chimed in with nothing other to add than ignore the troll. I replied by telling him to shove his insults up his backside. One of us got rep points the other got a one month suspension for being "toxic". 

Hopefully Holic's way ahead will help.

(07-04-2020, 01:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Rep messages are private, if those people want to come forward that's their business.  If you don't believe me then I honestly couldn't care less.

Well, there is a reason I've been voted best PnR poster every time it has been up for vote and it's because:

(07-04-2020, 01:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, there is a reason I've been voted best PnR poster every time it has been up for vote and it's because:

If I recall correctly, I got more votes than any of the Mean Girls as well.  Maybe the condescension is a disguise for outright jealousy?  Hilarious
I kind of see what’s going on here. The group that coined the term snowflake and TDS doesn’t like their views being challenged and can’t even take attempted humor. Pretty much what I figured was going on.
My advice for when the new version of P&R starts next Monday, if you think you might be posting something that is a violation of the rules we have specified, then double check your post and make sure before submitting it. 

Going forward, every single poster will be responsible for their posts, and how they choose to word them. The rules are pretty easy and clear to understand, so if you think something may be a violation...just don't do it. If everyone would just focus on that, it should help this place become better in pretty short order. 
(07-04-2020, 02:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: My advice for when the new version of P&R starts next Monday, if you think you might be posting something that is a violation of the rules we have specified, then double check your post and make sure before submitting it. 

Going forward, every single poster will be responsible for their posts, and how they choose to word them. The rules are pretty easy and clear to understand, so if you think something may be a violation...just don't do it. If everyone would just focus on that, it should help this place become better in pretty short order. 

[Image: tumblr_lv5a7tvhaD1r13en5o1_500.jpg]

I know it's fun to give Fred shit, but he did have a point. It is hard to draw that line with opinions. Especially when there is a strong wave of people, and this is on both sides, not understanding the difference between fact and opinion and people dismissing objective facts as opinion or "fake news." I'm not going to lie, this is the the thing that will get me to the point of a condescending tone in my posts 100% of the time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR