Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 100-your first memory of football
1975 being 5 years old.
The Bengals and Steelers on TV.
mind you growing up outside of Nashville.
NFL football on TV was restricted to the Cowboys Dolphins.
then in 1978 or 79 the Bengals played the Redskins on NBC at 12.
what a thrill.
I remember Jack Thompson leaving a game and Ken Anderson replaced him. crowd went crazy
MNF was not kind to the Bengals in the late 70s at all.
it was The Raiders Oilers Steelers Dolphins Cowboys Rams every MNF.
Reply/Quote
1981, I was just out of Air Force basic training, at my technical school and everybody was into football, I was more of a Reds fan. I was just being a smart aleck and guaranteed my Bengals would win the Super Bowl, (after going 4-12 the year before). Then they got good and started being on TV a lot (I was in Virginia). They kept winning and made the playoffs. I got to my first duty station in Bitburg Germany and met the most obnoxious Chargers fan. The next game was against the Chargers, the "Freezer Bowl" and they won that game. On to the Super Bowl which started for us at around 1 in the morning. I was in a huge common area and was the lone Bengals fan there.

That was my first memory of the NFL or the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 07:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Knock it all you want but Budweiser isnt called "The King of Beer" for nothing. 

Lemme aksed you a question.. Has you or hasn't you ever tasted that stuff in the past 20 years? I have and it was a very short lived experience of 1 sip, another attempted sip and the rest given away to an unknown hardcore alcoholic. I actually bought a 6 pack and was tempted to box it up and send it back to St Louis except the owner of the company now is some faceless Russian probably living in some Russian Mafia hideout.. 
Anyway, it DEFINITELY ain't the same stuff it was 20 or so years ago.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 07:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Knock it all you want but Budweiser isnt called "The King of Beer" for nothing. 

Lemme aksed you a question.. Has you or hasn't you ever tasted that stuff in the past 20 years or do you use some kind of rectal injection system to consume it? I have and it was a very short lived experience of 1 sip, another attempted sip and the rest given away to an unknown hardcore alcoholic. I actually bought a 6 pack and was tempted to box it up and send it back to St Louis except the owner of the company now is some faceless Russian probably living in some Russian Mafia hideout.. 
Anyway, it DEFINITELY ain't the same stuff it was 20 or so years ago.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 08:40 PM)Synric Wrote: What do you two drink? Also Champagne sucks as much as Miller does....and that's what they sell in stadiums.

I mostly drink craft beer these days. I like to support local Cincy breweries. I like IPA’s so i usually drink Psychopathy (MadTree) or Truth (Rhinegeist).

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 07:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The first Bengals memory I have is from the 88 Super Bowl. Tim Krumrie breaking his leg. I was only 5 but I still remember it to this day.
Exact same for me. That Super Bowl was my first memory and I was about the same age.   Watched it with my dad and uncle.  Uncle was a niner fan and not so nice of a guy.  He made fun of me after the Bengal loss and I remember punching him in the stomach and crying. 
Reply/Quote
First Football memory was the 1996 Superbowl between Dallas and Pittsburgh. I was a military brat living in Okinawa Japan so we actually got to watch the game in School.

First Bengals game memory was when the Bengals beat the Colts in 1996 at the regular season finale. It was also the game that they showed what PBS would look like at Halftime.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 09:09 PM)kevin Wrote: The really first good Bengals play I saw in 1968 was Paul Robinson start to the right on a sweep past the tackles. He got to the sideline area fast and cut up field for like a 70 yard touchdown just like Jim Brown or Leroy Kelly in Cleveland.  He ended up AFL leading rusher and Rookie Of The Year.  I think Leroy Kelly in Cleveland was NFL leading rusher the same year.  Paul Robinson was a big reason Bengals won NFL North in 1970.   Bengals Fans need to know how good The Cactus Comet was.  He got traded for Charlie Joiner who later got traded for Coy Bacon, all Top Players.  The 68 team wasn't very good, but Paul Robinson was.

Paul Robinson is a classic Paul Brown discovery.  He was a track athlete in college.  He only played one season of football at Arizona and was not even the #1 RB.  But Paul Brown used a third round pick on him.  Robinson had a short career, but he led the AFL in rushing his rookie season and was a 2 time Pro Bowl selection.
Reply/Quote