Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma)
(05-24-2019, 12:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The guy was migraine-inducingly fast.

On a side note, it's funny how we have a thread about how wise it is that Mixon and others are in braces and not overdoing it because that could wreck our season for nothing, while this thread complains that NFL teams are moving away from an overly risky drill.

Geez, make up your minds people.

I started the thread and it wasn't a complaint, I was just genuinely interested in people's opinions.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:15 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I started the thread and it wasn't a complaint, I was just genuinely interested in people's opinions.

I know, I'm not saying you are.  I just find it amusing that in my decades of watching football people have been going on about how it's all just a constant march towards new-age wimpiness.  It makes me wonder how upset NFL fans were when they mandated that players wear facemasks, and so on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know, I'm not saying you are.  I just find it amusing that in my decades of watching football people have been going on about how it's all just a constant march towards new-age wimpiness.  It makes me wonder how upset NFL fans were when they mandated that players wear facemasks, and so on.

Well you have college guys skipping bowl games to prepare for the draft too.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well you have college guys skipping bowl games to prepare for the draft too.

That's because they know if they are severely injured the Bengals are a lock to take them in the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26800703/nfl-asks-teams-stop-oklahoma-drill-others?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Thoughts? Sensible change, or NFL overreach?

Wussification...
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wussification...

It's simple injury prevention and wise business.  I suppose you think we should tell Mixon to man up and take away his wussy knee brace and toss him into some full-contract drills for the next 3 months so he'll be extra manly when the season rolls around.

These guys are worth millions of dollars.  Putting them at risk of unnecessary injury before the season is like buying a Rolls Royce and parking it out on the street like you would a 1988 Corsica.

Case in point...I did the Oklahoma drill when I played football and any player in today's wussy NFL could kick my ass. CHECK MATE!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's simple injury prevention and wise business.  I suppose you think we should tell Mixon to man up and take away his wussy knee brace and toss him into some full-contract drills for the next 3 months so he'll be extra manly when the season rolls around.

These guys are worth millions of dollars.  Putting them at risk of unnecessary injury before the season is like buying a Rolls Royce and parking it out on the street like you would a 1988 Corsica.

Case in point...I did the Oklahoma drill when I played football and any player in today's wussy NFL could kick my ass. CHECK MATE!!!

Quit putting words in my mouth, all i said was wussification.

I understand injury prevention and some players not wanting to risk it by doing the Oklahoma drill i just want the option open.

It is entertaining and last i thought this game is supposed to be entertaining.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Quit putting words in my mouth, all i said was wussification.

I understand injury prevention and some players not wanting to risk it by doing the Oklahoma drill i just want the option open.

It's a free country.  The players can hit themselves over the head with sledgehammers for all it matters.  I'll admit I'm just a little burned out about this because for the past three decades I've listened to people complain about how wimpy the NFL is becoming and it just seems like another form of "Back in the good ol' days we had it super tough and things aren't tough anymore so it's a shame" and so on.

What is entertaining about players possibly missing legit game time because they are getting pointless injuries doing an antiquated drill?  Then again, I recall people saying that letting athletes drink water while they train was wussification and so on.  
Reply/Quote
In related news the NFL has announced they are establishing a new yearly award and the 2018 Bengals will be the first official recipients of the "Marvin Lewis Participation Award"
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's a free country.  The players can hit themselves over the head with sledgehammers for all it matters.  I'll admit I'm just a little burned out about this because for the past three decades I've listened to people complain about how wimpy the NFL is becoming and it just seems like another form of "Back in the good ol' days we had it super tough and things aren't tough anymore so it's a shame" and so on.

What is entertaining about players possibly missing legit game time because they are getting pointless injuries doing an antiquated drill?  Then again, I recall people saying that letting athletes drink water while they train was wussification and so on.  

Well there is a lot of truth to the NFL being more wimpy then back in the day.

Have never been for the cheating side at all but a lot of stuff was allowed back in the day that is not allowed today.

Never want a player to get injured either, so don't insinuate that i do.

Nobody got hurt when they were doing the Oklahoma drill on Hard Knocks as far as i know.

Players can get hurt walking around their living room.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Quit putting words in my mouth, all i said was wussification.

I kind of see it both ways. As a fan attending training camp, it certainly is one of the more entertaining drills to watch, but at the same time the goal of a training camp drill shouldn't be entertaining the fans in attendance. If the potential cost is less than the potential gain, I totally get not doing it... but at the same time, I do think it's a chance for a lesser known player to open some eyes. I seem to remember reading a story of a rookie Tim Krumrie destroying people in the Oklahoma drill (including iirc their first round draft choice that year, who I think was a center? I may be wrong).

So honestly I have no real clue if they should ban it or not. I think it's an interesting discussion, though. I'm guessing the NFLPA had a say?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well there is a lot of truth to the NFL being more wimpy then back in the day.

Have never been for the cheating side at all but a lot of stuff was allowed back in the day that is not allowed today.

Never want a player to get injured either, so don't insinuate that i do.

Nobody got hurt when they were doing the Oklahoma drill on Hard Knocks as far as i know.

Players can get hurt walking around their living room.

We don't even have to look back that far to see how stuff used to be allowed.  Kimo taking out Carson's knee was fine.  Oh those good ol days.

(05-24-2019, 02:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I kind of see it both ways. As a fan attending training camp, it certainly is one of the more entertaining drills to watch, but at the same time the goal of a training camp drill shouldn't be entertaining the fans in attendance. If the potential cost is less than the potential gain, I totally get not doing it... but at the same time, I do think it's a chance for a lesser known player to open some eyes. I seem to remember reading a story of a rookie Tim Krumrie destroying people in the Oklahoma drill (including iirc their first round draft choice that year, who I think was a center? I may be wrong).

So honestly I have no real clue if they should ban it or not. I think it's an interesting discussion, though. I'm guessing the NFLPA had a say?

If the players don't want to do it, and it's a reasonable request, then what is the issue?  This isn't bumfights, these guys have actual influence and power now.  Thems the breaks.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If the players don't want to do it, and it's a reasonable request, then what is the issue?  This isn't bumfights, these guys have actual influence and power now.  Thems the breaks.

I have no issue with it.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 03:20 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I have no issue with it.

I know, I'm mostly just arguing because I'm bored.  I could actually take the side that they should NOT ban it, too.  It's the off-season.
Reply/Quote
First of all I am generally more in favor of safety moves than many people here. I don't see it as making the game "softer". I just see it as acknowledgement that players are so much bigger and faster that they are going to be doing more damage to each other.

For example, I can understand doing something about the kick off where the entire teams are sprinting full speed at each other. But the Oklahoma drill is really not that bad. It is a line of scrimmage collision. And it is not high volume because each player only does it 2 or 3 times.

The only problem I could see with the Oklahoma drill was that it was often one of the very first drills they do in pads, or at least on the first day in pads. It might be better to have players work up slower to full-on snot-knocking. But even with all the new rules about contact football is ultra violent. At its core it is a about hitting. Each play is a full contact battle to the ground. You have to be able to hit in practice to prepare for games.

BTW when I played high school football we did not see pads from the end of the season until fall practice. The first day of hitting in pads felt wonderful.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Case in point...I did the Oklahoma drill when I played football and any player in today's wussy NFL could kick my ass.  CHECK MATE!!!

I got a feeling any player in today's  WNBA could kick your ass. 

As for me: I think I could take fat Randy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 03:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I got a feeling any player in today's  WNBA could kick your ass. 

Oooh...kinky.

(05-24-2019, 03:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As for me: I think I could take fat Randy.

Slightly less kinky.
Reply/Quote