Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Cap Carryovers Announced
(02-27-2016, 12:46 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: The Bengals have never spent the total rollover over from the previous year...that means it was absorbed back into the profit line.   

I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way. If you rollover $10 million, it is part of your next year's cap. Otherwise why call it a rollover. Now let's say cap is a static $100 million over 4 years. If you rolled over $100 million every year that means you spent $90 million the first year, and $10 million each of the other 3 years (because you aren't spending the $10 million from the first year. So while you only spent 90% of cap the first year, you really have spent 97.5% of cap on average over the 4 years. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 02:55 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They rolled over unused cap space from 2011 to 2012.  Meaning they didn't spend to cap in 2011.  They left money on the table.  They did the same 2012.  The same in 2013.  The same in 2014.  The same in 2015.  It goes on and on and on...

You still don't get it.  If they roll ovcer $5 million every year it is the same $5 million.  Not a new $5 million every year.

If Mike Brown wanted it in his poket he would  not roll itover.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 09:18 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way. If you rollover $10 million, it is part of your next year's cap. Otherwise why call it a rollover. Now let's say cap is a static $100 million over 4 years. If you rolled over $10 million every year that means you spent $90 million the first year, and $10 million each of the other 3 years (because you aren't spending the $10 million from the first year. So while you only spent 90% of cap the first year, you really have spent 97.5% of cap on average over the 4 years. 

OK here is a breakdown (I rounded the numbers so it would not be such an eye chart)

2011 - Rollover = $15m.     Used $109m of  $135m:                       $27m unspent
2012 - Rollover = 0.            Used $116m of  $120m:                       $4m unspent
2013 - Rollover = $8.          Used $127m of  $135m:                       $8m unspent
2014 - Rollover = $9m.       Used $132m of $142m:                        $10m unspent
2015 - Rollover = $9m.       Used $144m of $152M:                         $8m unspent

There is no question that the ownership's strategy is to not spend to the limit.

We know the results of this strategy have produced ZERO postseason success. 

How can this strategy be defended by the fans? I understand SOP's reasoning....more for him. However for the fan the true ROI for our time and money spent is a "real opportunity" to win the superbowl. SMFH!
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still don't get it.  If they roll ovcer $5 million every year it is the same $5 million.  Not a new $5 million every year.

Sure about that?  Because in everything I just read it says that you can only rollover money to the next season. (You can't continue to carry over the same amount that you didn't spend years earlier)

Now if you're certain that you're right then please explain it, because I would love to know.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still don't get it.  If they roll ovcer $5 million every year it is the same $5 million.  Not a new $5 million every year.

Regardless of whether is the same amount of unspent money, or newly created carryover, it still remains unspent.

You don't get it.  If they continue to not spent the rollover money then there is no point to rolling it over.  That 5 million is money that could have been used to better last years roster.

Do any other teams perpetually kick the can down the road?  Give us some examples.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:24 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sure about that?  Because in everything I just read it says that you can only rollover money to the next season. (You can't continue to carry over the same amount that you didn't spend years earlier)

Now if you're certain that you're right then please explain it, because I would love to know.

Here is the exacvt language from the CBA

v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may “carry over” Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation 

I don't see any limitations there.

here is how I found it described

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/new-cba-gives-teams-the-right-to-carry-over-cap-space-automatically/

Meanwhile, we’ll try to think of a plausible explanation for not carrying over the cap space.  If nothing else, the excess cap space from 2011 will create excess cap space in 2012 that can be carried into 2013, and so on, until the need arises to use it.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:20 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: OK here is a breakdown (I rounded the numbers so it would not be such an eye chart)

2011 - Rollover = $15m.     Used $109m of  $135m:                       $27m unspent
2012 - Rollover = 0.            Used $116m of  $120m:                       $4m unspent
2013 - Rollover = $8.          Used $127m of  $135m:                       $8m unspent
2014 - Rollover = $9m.       Used $132m of $142m:                        $10m unspent
2015 - Rollover = $9m.       Used $144m of $152M:                         $8m unspent

Trying to understand these numbers. So the "of x" includes the rollover right? Like the cap was $120m in 2011 but you listed $135m because of the $15m rollover. Makes sense so far. And then we only spent $109m so that left $27m ($26m? but maybe with rounding it was $27m). OK. So why do you way there was no rollover for 2012 then? It should be $27m (or at least $10m if that is the rollover cap?) and the 2012 cap should be listed as $147m (or at least $130m?). 

Which actually makes the team look worse, but I'm just trying to figure this stuff out. Was there a cap of $10m you could rollover? Was that a rule in addition to needing to spend 90% of cap with the 4 year rolling average?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the league cap is $100 million and the Bengals roll over $10 million then their cap becomes $110 million. So even if they spend 100% of the league cap ($100 million) they still have $10 million they can roll over to next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 07:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. I actually like how they do things, but I'd like to see them "go for it" at some point while this core is still in their primes. And by "go for it", I don't mean to splurge on $80 million dollar free agents and risk losing key guys that we've drafted and developed. 

I'm basically looking for us to examine our needs and head into free agency and sign ONE guy to fill one of the needs. Imagine signing Trevathan. We could cross off LB and look to the draft for the other needs.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote