Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Cap
NFL said the cap will rise from $155m to somewhere between $166-170m this coming offseason.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/808822453388582912?lang=en

.....In other news, Hobspin is working on an article about how the rookie draft pool and injury pool will be approx $11-15m more than it was last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It looks like the Bengals have roughly $48 million to work with next year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2017/

The only true free agents of note are (in order of this year's cap):

Whitworth
Peko
LaFell
Dre
Zeitler

One would think that this team should have no issues signing Dre and Zeitler to extensions along with fitting Whitworth in on another 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals get rid of dead weight they could have up to 60 million in cap space.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
J24 Wrote:If the Bengals get rid of dead weight they could have up to 60 million in cap space.
Maualuga is the biggest consumer of this dead weight. He will count $3.7 million toward the cap next year, has no dead money, has drastically decreased in snap count (and even performance), and enters his final year under contract. The Bengals need a young, early-round draft pick to replace him.
Sims will count $1 mill toward the cap, also no dead money, and also enter his final year under contract. I can't imagine the Bengals would keep both him and re-sign Peko. Will likely be one or the other.
That right there is $4.7 million saved.

Who else do you cut to get the extra ~$8-10 million in cap savings?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 10:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Maualuga is the biggest consumer of this dead weight. He will count $3.7 million toward the cap next year, has no dead money, has drastically decreased in snap count (and even performance), and enters his final year under contract. The Bengals need a young, early-round draft pick to replace him.
Sims will count $1 mill toward the cap, also no dead money, and also enter his final year under contract. I can't imagine the Bengals would keep both him and re-sign Peko. Will likely be one or the other.
That right there is $4.7 million saved.

Who else do you cut to get the extra ~$8-10 million in cap savings?

Vincent Rey would be another 3 to 4  and Packman if traded would be at least six, I also would trade Vontaz which would be another 4 to the list. So thats 13 right there. Also thrown in a trade for Maccaron and trade cedric.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 05:09 PM)J24 Wrote: Vincent Rey would be another 3 to 4  and Packman if traded would be at least six, I also would trade Vontaz which would be another 4 to the list. So thats 13 right there. Also thrown in a trade for Maccaron and trade cedric.

I wouldn't trade Vinny Rey.  He's shown that he can be a reliable contributor.

There's no way I'm trading Jones either.  

Cutting one of the best LBs in football doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Really, the only guy that needs to go is Mauauluga.  The scheme just doesn't require him.  He's playing very few snaps and making a decent amount of money.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 05:09 PM)J24 Wrote: Vincent Rey would be another 3 to 4  and Packman if traded would be at least six, I also would trade Vontaz which would be another 4 to the list. So thats 13 right there. Also thrown in a trade for Maccaron and trade cedric.

Pacman, Burfict, McCarron, and Ced would contribute $6 million in dead money and our FO doesn't do that. They pride themselves in having one of the league's lowest amounts of dead money.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

I can understand McCarron trade, but it doesn't really free up cap space since it'd be for likely a 5th rounder or better, and therefore the drafted player would likely cost about the same (or more) than McCarron anyway.
The trades and cuts you are proposing are for players that play a good amount and have had solid seasons (at least since midway through the year). Trading or cutting these players would imply the team is in need of a true full rebuild.
I honestly don't think the team is that bad that it needs to gut its roster like that, do you?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Might as well cut Dalton while we're at it, AJ, Gio, and eifert too...will we have any other good players that are under contract? If so cut them also! We will have SOOO much cap space to roll over!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 05:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can understand McCarron trade, but it doesn't really free up cap space since it'd be for likely a 5th rounder or better, and therefore the drafted player would likely cost about the same (or more) than McCarron anyway.
The trades and cuts you are proposing are for players that play a good amount and have had solid seasons (at least since midway through the year). Trading or cutting these players would imply the team is in need of a true full rebuild.
I honestly don't think the team is that bad that it needs to gut its roster like that, do you?
Pacman will be 34, Vincent Rey is an average to good player who is a back up and special teamer,  and Vontaz(probably the most controversial on the list) is in his contract year and already has had a microfractor surgery on one of his knees. By the way Mcarron will get more than a 5th or they won't trade him.
Yes I do think this team bad and needs a overhaul.
J24

Reply/Quote
Vinney Rey is not star, and he might be slightly overpaid a $3.25 million next year, but the fact is that we are not going to be able to afford anything more than another scrub backup for less than that on the free agent market. We might save a few hundred thousand dollars, but there is always a risk to bring in outside free agents. Too mant people refuse to acknowledge that not all free agents live up to their contracts with their new teams.
Reply/Quote
They will not likely cut anyone that was listed as still under contract. I think re-signing Whit to at least a two-year deal, with maybe a club option for a third is imperative. Dre needs to be re-signed. He has earned it. Unless he wants to be somewhere else, I think he is retained.

It isn't there way to sign FA that aren't just nuts-and-bolts guys, but if I had to choose, I would love to get a quality starter that can play either Guard position and possibly Center. If there is someone out there they value as a better talent than TJ Johnson, go get him.
Reply/Quote

AJ makes around 700K and is best value back up QB in the league

Dumb move to trade him for cap space, now a 1st and 2nd round pick is a different story
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 05:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It looks like the Bengals have roughly $48 million to work with next year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2017/

The only true free agents of note are (in order of this year's cap):

Whitworth
Peko
LaFell
Dre
Zeitler

One would think that this team should have no issues signing Dre and Zeitler to extensions along with fitting Whitworth in on another 1 year deal.

PLEASE LET PEKO GO BENGALS!!!!!  :andy:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 11:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ makes around 700K and is best value back up QB in the league

Dumb move to trade him for cap space, now a 1st and 2nd round pick is a different story

Obviously that's why I would trade him.
J24

Reply/Quote