Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Championship - Road to SB team ratings
NFL Championship weekend is here. Been a long week waiting for the weekend to get here. I read an article on NFL.com discussing unit rankings per remaining 4 teams by Bucky Brooks (don't know if he's legit or an idiot) and found it interesting. He rated per offense, defense and special teams. Ranking are as follows:

Bengals: Offense 3, Defense 3, ST 3 = 9
KC:        Offense 1, Defense 4, ST 2 = 7
LA:        Offense 2, Defense 2, ST 1 = 5
SF:        Offense 4, Defense 1, ST 4 = 9

So, thinking as a well rounded team, Bengals and 49ers are tied for 3rd, while KC comes in 2nd and LA 1st. BUT.... I have to disagree on the offense ranking of #3 for Cincinnati. Yes, our OL giving up 9 sacks last week probably influenced the ranking here, but their not going to do that again, specially against a #4 ranked D. Also, the strength of our weapons are being overshadowed by the weakness of the OL. In fact, I think we should be ranked #1 in offense.

Looking at LA and seeing a few games this year, I don't quite see the respect, nor do I SF. Jimmy G implodes under pressure, which we can bring and he's overall weak. Their D is pretty stout, but had a few fumbles during our matchup not happened, I think we beat them. Which leaves us KC.

I think we face KC like we did the first time. Yes, they will double team Chase, but they tried that last time but were able to draw CB's in and create the 1 on 1. I think the Chiefs secondary is weak and hopefully we attack it. But here's the thing I'm most sure of at this point. Watching Burrow during these last 4-5 weeks, he's changed. He's focused and dialed in. He's been playing playoff football weeks before the playoffs started and we are seeing the results of a focused Burrow. Plus, he's facing a D he's seen before and unless they changed the whole look, he will read it. 

I posted the article below and welcome your thoughts. Oh, by the way, all I did was take the ratings, add them up and divide by 3. I did not give any heavier weight to one category or the other.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-championship-sunday-unit-rankings-who-has-the-best-offense-defense-special-t

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What the 9ers special teams did to Green Bay warrants better than a 4
Reply/Quote
Bucky Brooks is good, I like him. One of the few, but our D should be ranked at least 2nd behind SF at worst.

We could be the #1 D with how we have played this Postseason.

Offense and Defense play good enough for us to win and we are good on ST's as well. I think we are #1 on ST's.

This is a big deal. We just cannot Punt to Tyreek Hill on Sunday, he will be Returning Punts with nothing to lose.

I agree with everything you say here Harley though as usual. We are under the radar, need to take advantage.

Bucky Brooks is not a Bengal hater either, quite the opposite.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a big deal. We just cannot Punt to Tyreek Hill on Sunday, he will be Returning Punts with nothing to lose.

I kind of like this for unsaid reasons. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I kind of like this for unsaid reasons. 

Ninja
Reply/Quote
Well maybe the Bengals do finish 3 in offense behind KC, LA, with 49ers in last.

But think it is way closer than just a 1,2,3 ranking and don't think the Bengals are that far behind 1 and 2.

Get what he is doing but not sure its a good gauge to go by.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
For whatever our offense lacks on the Oline it more than makes up for with defense .. Anyone else shut down KC for 3 in the 2nd half of any game since the beginning of the season? Anyone else for all intents and purposes completely shut down Henry? Shut down LV? If they can shut down Mahomes KC will be in for a world of hurt..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:11 PM)grampahol Wrote: For whatever our offense lacks on the Oline it more than makes up for with defense .. Anyone else shut down KC for 3 in the 2nd half of any game since the beginning of the season? Anyone else for all intents and purposes completely shut down Henry? Shut down LV? If they can shut down Mahomes KC will be in for a world of hurt..

Rams only let KC score 3 in their meeting this season
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Rams only let KC score 3 in their meeting this season

Oh well.. We haven't laid those kinds of eggs against any tough teams, just the Jets and Clowns I think,, LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Rams only let KC score 3 in their meeting this season

Also the Titans only let them score 3 all game and we just beat those guys. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Would do more like this if 1-4 are the scores to be used. He ranked only one team per # given, yet think it should be more like a grading and they can share #'s. This is how I would personally rank them and has nothing to do with where they actually ranked and sure some will disagree.

Team........offense......defense.......ST's

Bengals ........1...............2............2 = 5
Chiefs...........1...............3............1 = 5
Rams.............1...............2............2 = 5
49ers.............3...............1............2 = 6

Think its much closer than was listed and both games are toss ups. Know that the 49ers defense is ranked much lower than the grade I gave but that's how I see them playing presently.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I saw the same article.

What stuck out to me is he considers the Bengals the 3rd ranked team across the board, i.e. in the bottom half of the field in every category. Adding the scores, he thinks we are tied for bottom of the bunch.

All the more reason for us to get a rematch against the 49ers.
Reply/Quote
You can make a case for the bengals offense and special teams both ranking 2. But the rams have a better oline, so it makes sense to rank them ahead of ours maybe.

After last week, the 9ers special teams should be ranked 1. We should rank 2 with our kicker being lights out—and overall special teams is solid.

I think our secondary could be the best remaining, but the Rams and 9ers are so amazing up front that it trumps it. Our defense is pretty good all around though (all levels).

I would rank as follows:

Bengals: offense 2, defense 3, special teams 2. Total 7
Chiefs: offense 1, defense 4, special teams 4. Total 9
Rams: offense 3, defense 1, special teams 3. Total 7
9ers: offense 4, defense 2, special teams 1. Total 7

You could make an argument for the rams offense being 2 though.
The rams vs 9ers for top defense is close. I don’t view either as having an amazing secondary though.
I feel like we could prove that our offense is better than the chiefs this week, but our weakness at oline is good reason to rank 2.

I view the Rams as the most complete team.
Reply/Quote
The thing you have to take into account about ST's is the coverage and right now Trey Flowers and the bunch are
playing fantastic besides that one penalty on him against the Titans.
Reply/Quote
Some Odd Stats...

For 54 years no one hosted a Home Superbowl
In the last 2 years the Host of the Superbowl has played in it.....

This will only be the 2nd time 2 #1OA QBs faced off in the Superbowl... the last being Peyton vs Cam

This is the First time since it went to 12 playoff teams 6 and 6 that both teams lower than 3 seed made it to the SB
Reply/Quote