Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NFL Coach says Mahomes "flopped"
(02-01-2023, 09:15 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I was explaining to my friends last night it's not the calls that pissed me off, it was the non-calls on the other side. The late hit on Perine out of bounds. The body slam on Burrow. The late push on Burrow. The hands to the face. The holding on Mahome's scramble. I'm not a smart guy and my eyes aren't exactly top tier even with my glasses on, but even I could see that shit happen and knew that rules were being broken.

The one call that did piss me off with the PI on Hilton. Even before Gene said it shouldn't be called I knew it was a BS penalty. 

that and i saw several late hits on burrow.  with burrow getting in the refs face about it.  and nothing

Then giving the Chiefs Extra plays etc... one of the worst officiating games i have ever seen
Reply/Quote
From re-watching the clip several times, it appears to me not to be a push or a flop, but rather both players falling with their own momentum as a result of incidental contact when their feet briefly tangled. Rather than a knee-jerk personal foul flag, the crew in NY should have taken a closer look and instructed the crew on the field to waive it off as no foul as a result of inadvertent contact.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:17 PM)Nepa Wrote: Of course. And maybe Burrow should have dramatized falling down when he was hit late. I had zero problem with the late hit call.

But I thought the issue about the part-time officials was spot on. Billion-dollar industry with refs that have full time jobs working in high schools and middle schools and on farms and selling insurance, etc. Individuals who go back to those jobs on Monday. 

individuals who have more accountability to their employers outside of football.

And I think the loud and boisterous KC crowd influenced these officials. No reason not to call the obvious late hit on Burrow or the obvious push in the back on the punt return and a slew of offensive holding. There was a pass interference call on Hilton that the CBS expert on officiating, Gene Steratore, said never should have been called. A defender is allowed to make contact and Hilton's contact was minimal; he didn't twist the receiver at all.

In all, the Bengals were flagged 9 times, which was probably near their max penalties all year. The Chiefs were flagged only 4 time, below their season average. And overall, it is widely held that the officiating of that game was not a good look for the NFL.

It's a very easy solution but the NFL led by Roger is a power hungry squad who simply hate to admit defeat just as they faught to have PI reviewed a few years ago.They clearly devalue the integrity of the game and a clear respect for the principles of what brings in billions of dollars a year which are the players and coaches. They can hire all the professional refs they want and employ them but they're still human and it's a very very fast game and officials are not always in the right spot. There's really 2 dichotomy's here which is the game itself and the last 2 minutes of a game.

The irony in all of this is that the NFL, themselves, in the last 2 minutes of a game,review everything that THEY deem as important with ZERO regard for what a HC deems important. I have an issue with that. During the course of a game, or even within the last 2 minutes, let the HC throw a flag for ANY call they deem inappropriate/appropriate. IDC how long extra it takes what's important is getting it correct. Coaches, players and fans deserve better.

Essentially, most debatable calls that really influence outcomes are holding calls/non-calls,illegal blocks, PI and penalties on sacks. If a coach has already used his red flag but has a TO left then give him another red flag but he loses his TO. If a coach has already used his red flag, doesn't have a TO left then he's SOL. Or something along these lines.

Why weren't those questionable calls reviewed at the end of regulation in the KC game? Why didn't the refs come together as they did earlier in the game on the Mahommes fumble that Cinci. was going to challenge initially but then did not have to? Aren't they deemed important by the NFL as much as other calls they review on their own?I can guarantee you Zach Taylor throws a red flag on a block in the back on the punt return and/or missed holds on Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From re-watching the clip several times, it appears to me not to be a push or a flop, but rather both players falling with their own momentum as a result of incidental contact when their feet briefly tangled. Rather than a knee-jerk personal foul flag, the crew in NY should have taken a closer look and instructed the crew on the field to waive it off as no foul as a result of inadvertent contact.

Ossai touched him and it looked like it was hard enough to knock Mahomes over but it was the entanglement I think. But the two things combined gives the strong appearance of a PF. Had he not touched him it would have gotten dicey with just the entanglement
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 09:15 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I was explaining to my friends last night it's not the calls that pissed me off, it was the non-calls on the other side. The late hit on Perine out of bounds. The body slam on Burrow. The late push on Burrow. The hands to the face. The holding on Mahome's scramble. I'm not a smart guy and my eyes aren't exactly top tier even with my glasses on, but even I could see that shit happen and knew that rules were being broken.

The one call that did piss me off with the PI on Hilton. Even before Gene said it shouldn't be called I knew it was a BS penalty. 

And on the late hit out of bounds on Mixon I posted, the guy actually squares up his feet and launches. I didn't think you were allowed to do that. The ref was so close he almost got knocked down and kept the flag in his pocket.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 08:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It was actually more a feet clip than push.  But still, need to be much smarter.

(01-31-2023, 08:38 PM)The American Dream Wrote: Don't like Mahomes and yes may have sold it a bit too much...but Ossai still ****** up.

After rewatching that clip several times I do believe Mahomes flopped quite a bit. BUTT, Ossai never should have made contact, at least not the little shoving action.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: After rewatching that clip several times I do believe Mahomes flopped quite a bit. BUTT, Ossai never should have made contact, at least not the little shoving action.

I don't have a problem in the world with any of the calls that went against Cincinnati. My problem is they didn't call the same rules against KC
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't have a problem in the world with any of the calls that went against Cincinnati. My problem is they didn't call the same rules against KC

Oh I get it 100% and agree. But two things

Bad calls, no calls, on and on are just part of it. Every team has to deal with it at some point.

The real reason we lost is because our OLine stunk it up, AGAIN.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: After rewatching that clip several times I do believe Mahomes flopped quite a bit. BUTT, Ossai never should have made contact, at least not the little shoving action.

No doubt.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And on the late hit out of bounds on Mixon I posted, the guy actually squares up his feet and launches. I didn't think you were allowed to do that. The ref was so close he almost got knocked down and kept the flag in his pocket.

You know I knew it was Mixon but one of the idiots convinced me it was Perine.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 09:16 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They call roughing on Burrow like they should have and this play doesn’t happen. Rigged nfl

This! Or, holding, block in the back, as many 3rd downs as you need, Pat,  ect....
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:53 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You know I knew it was Mixon but one of the idiots convinced me it was Perine.

I saw that, and thought to myself hell they must have hit Perine too on another play. I mean, it's not like there were flags thrown to help you remember.... Sick
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:46 PM)samhain Wrote: Agree.  Hard to argue with the call.  Sucks to see a game decided by a penalty like that.

This was a weird game to me.  In the playoffs, it seems like the refs tend to let more stuff slide to keep from interrupting the flow of the game.  Add to that the fact that the Bengals aren't a heavily penalized team, and it was strange to see the amount of flags flying.  

The whole world knows we got screwed by the refs,watch the whole game again and the refs were screwing us big time and the same thing happened last super bowl when the lying ref called a pi on our guy with 2 mins left and I watched that play a hundred times and our guy did not make a PI at all,he barely put his hand on Copper, we got a big time screwing this time all game and last year as well.I am not going to support football when they let refs pull this crap and Roger G. made the call that we had to go on the road and play the Bills when we had earned the right to play them hear.The league put a big screwing on us just because someone on their team had a heart attack.We took the hit and to me that was super wrong.The league does not like Cincy and it shows.Unless they address the crooked refs,we will never win when it counts.Just think,our guys played their ass off all season just to get screwed when it counts.I am more than done with corrupt people,no trust anymore.We need full time refs and to me they should have to post on line where they are from and what team they support,and a ref that supports a particular team cannot ref that teamEVER Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 10:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And on the late hit out of bounds on Mixon I posted, the guy actually squares up his feet and launches. I didn't think you were allowed to do that. The ref was so close he almost got knocked down and kept the flag in his pocket.

I assumed when I saw it originally that they decided that he had already committed before the guy went out.  Looking at that replay he really had an opportunity to pull up on the hit instead of launching.  Chalk up another one.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need to let this go. I would have wanted that called if it was Burrow.

Indeed.
There's nothing at this point that will result in the Bengals being swapped in for the Super Bowl.
Win by enough that 1-2 plays like this don't matter.
Also, be happy the Bengals are getting as far as they are and are true contenders now.
This is something that the Bengals haven't done in 30+ years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:30 PM)J24 Wrote: If that was the first quarter ok but to end the game/ season on that play. Is utter horse shit and NFL knows it.  Weak Call!
Still Ossai shouldn't have given the officials the opportunity to make the call.

There wasn't anything weak about it. Ossai first pushed him, then their feet got tangled up. 

Every single Cincinnati Bengals fan would be screaming at their TV if it was Burrow and they would be denying any semblance of a flop, pointing out what i just did, in defense of him. 

Maybe i need to go back to the GDT and find posts after Burrow was shoved by Clark, just for examples.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 05:14 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The whole world knows we got screwed by the refs,watch the whole game again and the refs were screwing us big time and the same thing happened last super bowl when the lying ref called a pi on our guy with 2 mins left and I watched that play a hundred times and our guy did not make a PI at all,he barely put his hand on Copper, we got a big time screwing this time all game and last year as well.I am not going to support football when they let refs pull this crap and Roger G. made the call that we had to go on the road and play the Bills when we had earned the right to play them hear.The league put a big screwing on us just because someone on their team had a heart attack.We took the hit and to me that was super wrong.The league does not like Cincy and it shows.Unless they address the crooked refs,we will never win when it counts.Just think,our guys played their ass off all season just to get screwed when it counts.I am more than done with corrupt people,no trust anymore.We need full time refs and to me they should have to post on line where they are from and what team they support,and a ref that supports a particular team cannot ref that teamEVER Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger

And out of the woodwork he crawls...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
it was a clear cut penalty by ossai at the end of the day. It was the correct call

that hilton call on mvs was atrocious, and the chiefs got away with massive holding all game

plus the re-do on 3rd down situation... That's the stuff that bothered me when it came to officiating
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 07:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And out of the woodwork he crawls...

Until this very minute, I had been thinking for months that Grampohol had neutered the stream of unconsciousness wall of text, and now I'm realising they're two different people, and also how grateful and nostalgic I am for both. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 06:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There wasn't anything weak about it. Ossai first pushed him, then their feet got tangled up. 

Every single Cincinnati Bengals fan would be screaming at their TV if it was Burrow and they would be denying any semblance of a flop, pointing out what i just did, in defense of him. 

Maybe i need to go back to the GDT and find posts after Burrow was shoved by Clark, just for examples.  Cool

And every  chief fan would ***** about the call as well. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote