Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Commish: ‘Fans should be OK with anthem protest.
I have had it with Goodell. This is the final straw.

The Horn News August 17, 2017
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Monday that he won’t take any action when players politicize America’s favorite sport by sitting or kneeling during The Star Spangled Banner.
Instead, he wants people to be more understanding when a sporting event is turned into a big liberal protest.
At a Q&A session with Arizona Cardinals season-ticket holders, Goodell implied to the crowd that Americans need to get comfortable with these protests because some players “have different viewpoints.”
Get comfortable with disrespecting America and the flag?
“The national anthem is a special moment to me. It’s a point of pride,” Goodell said. “But we also have to understand the other side, that people do have rights and we want to respect those.”
Yes, of course they have those rights…
But viewers have rights, too — and many say they do not turn on the NFL to get liberal politics shoved down their throats!
Players like Colin Kaepernick seized the spotlight last year with his refusal to stand for the National Anthem, and supporters claim he’s been banned from the league for this political stance — despite Kaepernick turning down a $900,000 contract over the off-season.
Like the American flag, it seems anything less than a million-dollars isn’t good enough for Kaepernick.
Goodell choosing to do nothing about these “protests,” will undoubtedly lead to more subpar players who are desperate for the spotlight.
But when America starts turning off the games instead, there will be more pressure — in the pocketbook.
Comment: “Stand up!” if YOU respect the national anthem!
Reply/Quote
I will never be OK w/ grown ass men showing any type of disrespect to the country that made them millionaires for playing a game
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Personally, I don't care if a player chooses to stand or sit for the National Anthem. I'm getting ready to watch a football game. I don't rise from my recliner, with my tasty beverage and snack plate, and put my hand over my heart for some stooge to typically sing off key.

However, if some "missed his chance" player wants to draw negative attention to himself by sitting, all power to him. As, in my opinion, it's all for spectacle, a way to remain in the topic of conversation. If everyone would just ignore those attempting to draw that attention, the actions would likely stop. Ever raised a kid?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:47 PM)CincyKid Wrote: I will never be OK w/ grown ass men showing any type of disrespect to the country that made them millionaires for playing a game

Yep, and guys who's ship has sailed are counting on people like you, to keep them as a focal point of attention..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Here is what I don;t understand, when they are on the field they are at a job and work for the owner... if at my job i refused to do something my boss wanted me to do that he felt put the company in a bad light, i could lose my job. The owner should have the power to discipline any player on his team for conduct that he deems hurts his brand.

What they do before the game is their business but when they are on that field they work for the owner.
Reply/Quote
im not calling attention to them..........the blood in the water networks do though...........I just make a mental note of said player
Reply/Quote
Keep the damn politics out of the game. It's not like people aren't already protesting everything everywhere already.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The part that makes it so bad is when im trying to watch stuff about football and all they talk about is this bullshit.

Had NFLN on earlier. Used to watch it all the time. As soon as they quit talking and showing actual football they went to this shit. Gotta turn it off.

If I want to see some jackass disrespect my country i will turn on a white house press conference.
Reply/Quote
Almost every veteran will respect his right to not stand. I am one of them. I don't like it, in fact I hate it. Yet he has the freedom to do so. However, when the news people grab this and make it a huge deal, it creates political chaos in a sport where it doesn't belong. As for Goodell and the actions of Kaep? Well, you just destroyed the NFL and football from ever becoming America's game! Their both douchebags!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 10:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Almost every veteran will respect his right to not stand. I am one of them. I don't like it, in fact I hate it. Yet he has the freedom to do so. However, when the news people grab this and make it a huge deal, it creates political chaos in a sport where it doesn't belong. As for Goodell and the actions of Kaep? Well, you just destroyed the NFL and football from ever becoming America's game! Their both douchebags!

They work for the owner, if the owner says you respect the flag on work time since it can hurt our image as a team/business, as a owner i would say you stay in locker room if you want till anthem is over.. it has nothing with being at the game as fan and not standing, there is difference. 

I would like the see the reaction if players sat for a moment of silence for what happen in Virginia.. i wonder how that would go over. 
Reply/Quote
I said what I needed about the subject in PnR. No offense to the OP that's where this thread needs to be or its gonna start looking worse than the Offensive line ones lolol.

Edit: spell check I swear my phone thinks it's smarter than me lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
So everything is just peachy keen in this nation and there's no room for protest and decent from either side? I have no problem with it. 
I am not required to agree nor disagree. 
I'm a veteran as are both my brothers,  one sister, my father and both grandfathers and numerous uncles and cousins . None of us served just so someone else can tell us to sit down, shut up and take whatever BS is going down.  
Like it or not sporting events have been politicized for many years and players, fans and non-fans have the right to voice opinions on or off the field .
Feel free to not voice your opinion or voice it. That makes this unique and worth defending. 
Waving and wrapping yourself in the flag in phony patriotism is not. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So many thoughts on this...

1. It's Kaep's right to be a dumb ass. I don't agree with him, but it's his right to kneel. Of course the NFL could make it a rule to stand, but I doubt the NFL wants to contend with the titans in liberal media.

2. I'd respect Kaep's (and BLM's) stance if it wasn't so damn divisive and one-sided. No answers are being offered. No compromises are being made. It's just a constant message that cops and whitey are bad. Oh...and Trump too. Definitely Trump. He's like the president of the KKK or something. Isn't our motto "United we stand, divided we fall"? Welp...

3. I feel like the problem with innocent blacks being murdered in this country is being massively exaggerated. Let's say we have 1 million cops in the US, and God knows how many crimes or calls to the cops. Yet we only have a small handful of incidents where it turns out the cop really did go overboard and murder an innocent.

Most knee-jerk reports of a racist cop murdering a totally innocent unarmed black man turn out to be false and the cops are guilty only of doing their jobs properly. So what we have now is a nation divided and hatred for all whites, police and our president...all based on maybe a half dozen murders per year? Is that what we've come to?

I tells ya...when liberals want to push an agenda, it gets PUSHED. It's hard to escape this topic right now, unless you go live in a cave.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:47 PM)CincyKid Wrote: I will never be OK w/ grown ass men showing any type of disrespect to the country that made them millionaires for playing a game

Amen.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I don't care if a player chooses to stand or sit for the National Anthem.  I'm getting ready to watch a football game.  I don't rise from my recliner, with my tasty beverage and snack plate, and put my hand over my heart for some stooge to typically sing off key.

However, if some "missed his chance" player wants to draw negative attention to himself by sitting, all power to him.  As, in my opinion, it's all for spectacle, a way to remain in the topic of conversation.  If everyone would just ignore those attempting to draw that attention, the actions would likely stop.  Ever raised a kid?

If I am watching on TV, I won't stand, but I do stop talking and take off my hat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Me: NFL Commish should be OK with footing the bill for everyone's $100 ticket, $20 parking, $10 beer so we can watch oversized children who are multi-millionaires and 1%ers use our entertainment and our national anthem in order to complain about inequality and injustice, before they play a game for 3 hours so they can collect a $500k paycheck for their weeks work, and then drive off in their $150k sports car. While the main perpetrators of the complaints have not only never voted in their lives, but have never even REGISTERED to vote, and enjoy wearing t-shirts of notoriously ruthless dictators and praising them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of hypocrisy with this issue. As a season ticket holder, I go to a minimum of 6 games a season, and also go to at least 1 away game (Pit) and many times two (If the schedule cooperates, a guys weekend to a warm-weather game in December).

The scene is always the same..... The National Anthem begins...all the people around the stadium stand but MANY pay little attention. They're talking, laughing, sipping their beers, eating their nachos, high fiving their friends that just got to their seats, talking on their phones, texting, taking pictures, hats still on (worn backwards of course), and of course the age old tradition of clapping-talking-screaming 'Who Deeeey"! (or waving towels or whatever)-and sitting down-before the anthem has ended.

This scene plays out in every stadium I've been to. I'm going to say that more people stand respectfully than don't, but there are a whole lot that don't. I'm sure that many of those people are the same ones blasting the players for disrespecting the Anthem by not standing silently at attention. Hypocrites, all of them.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 03:45 PM)BMK Wrote: I see a lot of hypocrisy with this issue.  As a season ticket holder, I go to a minimum of 6 games a season, and also go to at least 1 away game (Pit) and many times two (If the schedule cooperates, a guys weekend to a warm-weather game in December).

The scene is always the same.....  The National Anthem begins...all the people around the stadium stand but MANY pay little attention. They're talking, laughing, sipping their beers, eating their nachos, high fiving their friends that just got to their seats, talking on their phones, texting, taking pictures, hats still on (worn backwards of course), and of course the age old tradition of clapping-talking-screaming 'Who Deeeey"! (or waving towels or whatever)-and sitting down-before the anthem has ended.

This scene plays out in every stadium I've been to.  I'm going to say that more people stand respectfully than don't, but there are a whole lot that don't. I'm sure that many of those  people are the same ones blasting the players for  not respecting the Anthem. Hypocrites, all of them.

Well if I knew the Joe Average that knowingly ignored the anthem, I'd rip him too. Although I think the issue is far deeper than just disrespecting the anthem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I don't care if a player chooses to stand or sit for the National Anthem.  I'm getting ready to watch a football game.  I don't rise from my recliner, with my tasty beverage and snack plate, and put my hand over my heart for some stooge to typically sing off key.

However, if some "missed his chance" player wants to draw negative attention to himself by sitting, all power to him.  As, in my opinion, it's all for spectacle, a way to remain in the topic of conversation.  If everyone would just ignore those attempting to draw that attention, the actions would likely stop.  Ever raised a kid?

This is me.  I don't care either.  I'm not going to stop watching a football game just because someone is kneeling or sitting during the anthem. 

Why don't they just move the players back to the locker room during the anthem? 

Just another non-story story the talking heads keep bringing up over and over and over and over.   
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 06:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This is me.  I don't care either.  I'm not going to stop watching a football game just because someone is kneeling or sitting during the anthem. 

Why don't they just move the players back to the locker room during the anthem? 

Just another non-story story the talking heads keep bringing up over and over and over and over.   

Yep.  Stir the pot.  Keep people at each other's throats.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 06:50 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  Stir the pot.  Keep people at each other's throats.

Stir what pot? I'm sitting here sipping on some whiskey n cokes, watching football. Doesn't bother me one bit who stands, sits, shits, goes back to get another hotdog and nachos....whatever. Do what ya gotta do. I'm just here to watch some football.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote