Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Is Five Years Behind College?!
NFL Live was interviewing Taylor today and they asked him about an expert's opinion that the NFL is five years behind college football, and Taylor agreed.

That got me pumped up because we're always talking about how Marvin lacked creativity, game planning, game management, and just overall understanding of how to run an NFL team, and now we have a guy that has been coaching with a mindset that is ahead of all of the coaches that he'll be coaching against!

Taylor's vision for this team has me excited and I'm understanding why players like AJ are excited!

I'm pumped to have a coach with an advanced thought process and the kind of energy and vision that we need!

I'm so excited to see all of the new things that he'll bring on offense and how he'll better utilize our talent.  I'm excited because I think we'll move the ball more and it will bring more big plays!

It's going to be a great season!
Reply/Quote
I am confused how is the NFL behind the NCAA 5 years?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 05:12 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am confused how is the NFL behind the NCAA 5 years?

Well, 4 years in school plus a red-shirt year.  So, the NFL doesn't get them until 5 years after the college game.  Sounds like a 5-year lag to me.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
So our QB is going to make one read before he takes off running?

Can't wait!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So our QB is going to make one read before he takes off running?

Can't wait!

AJ Green only has to get one foot in bounds though...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It is a strange relationship between college and professional football, though. They're practically different games in a lot of ways, and as a person who is primarily an NFL fan it's frustrating because we get a bunch players that aren't always ready/prepared to play the NFL game (especially on the o-line, IMO) and it waters down the game. I don't think it's any coincidence blocking is so bad across the league.

I can't fault the college coaches for running the systems they do - they get paid to win, not necessarily to prepare guys for the NFL game.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So our QB is going to make one read before he takes off running?

Can't wait!

TBH this is what they should have had Jeff Driskel doing last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:55 PM)NKURyan Wrote: It is a strange relationship between college and professional football, though. They're practically different games in a lot of ways, and as a person who is primarily an NFL fan it's frustrating because we get a bunch players that aren't always ready/prepared to play the NFL game (especially on the o-line, IMO) and it waters down the game. I don't think it's any coincidence blocking is so bad across the league.

I can't fault the college coaches for running the systems they do - they get paid to win, not necessarily to prepare guys for the NFL game.

And with the money the big time college coaches are making now, I don't see much changing unfortunately.  I hate college overtime, and hope it never sees the light of day in the NFL.  I would actually vote to do away with the two point conversion rule myself, at least in the NFL.  Short of that, I think the ball should be placed at the five yard line instead of the two- especially since the ball is spotted at the 15 just for a single point now.  

I'm afraid of what the college game is five years behind.  
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:55 PM)NKURyan Wrote: It is a strange relationship between college and professional football, though. They're practically different games in a lot of ways, and as a person who is primarily an NFL fan it's frustrating because we get a bunch players that aren't always ready/prepared to play the NFL game (especially on the o-line, IMO) and it waters down the game. I don't think it's any coincidence blocking is so bad across the league.

Agreed wish they would make the game more universal.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Completely agree Ryan.
Reply/Quote

Next year we  should trade all of draft spots for veterans... see how that turns out.. just to experiment.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote

Don't forget to mention that it seems college refs allow players to get away with a lot more than NFL refs do.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Yes...but isn't it strange that some teams don't try those systems in the NFL? I guess defensive backs are much better and college teams kind of exploit the fact that a team likely won't have many good DB's.

Supposedly the Browns run a very similar offense to Oklahoma to ease Mayfield in.

re: Blocking - Absolutely. They run different schemes in college. So you draft a good lineman and he basically might have to learn new techniques that he never used before. Or he may not have run blocked or pass blocked much!

Now Jonah Williams should be ready to just step right in and play. Alabama runs a pro ready system.
Reply/Quote
Quote:I can't fault the college coaches for running the systems they do - they get paid to win, not necessarily to prepare guys for the NFL game.
As opposed to MLB where they actually have teams dedicated to such ideas in the form of MiLB.. Perhaps someday, but the NFL has always left it to the college ranks to prepare players for the NFL.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Blocking - Absolutely. They run different schemes in college. So you draft a good lineman and he basically might have to learn new techniques that he never used before. Or he may not have run blocked or pass blocked much!

Now Jonah Williams should be ready to just step right in and play. Alabama runs a pro ready system.

System in college does make a big difference in how quickly a player adjusts to the NFL. But every college player has a learning curve. College coaches can only work with players a few hours a week a few weeks a year. I'd guess that a full time NFL player spends more time working on football in one year than he does in 4 years of college.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: System in college does make a big difference in how quickly a player adjusts to the NFL. But every college player has a learning curve. College coaches can only work with players a few hours a week a few weeks a year. I'd guess that a full time NFL player spends more time working on football in one year than he does in 4 years of college.

Yep. I'm friends with some trainers that have trained college guys that go to the NFL. I'll see the player in college and he's big and strong. Then 2 years later after being in the Pros, he'll come back and he'll have gained like 10-20 lbs of muscle and lost fat and upped his lifts by insane numbers.

Any I ask the trainers how that happens. They basically say that in the Pros...that's all you do. You workout/you recover. In college, you have classes. Maybe not the best quality food in some cases. Parties. The trainers are limited on how much time they get with the players so they scale down the lifting program. (It's mainly presses, squats, deadlifts...then maybe another exercise or two for mobility.)

I think some guys get by on sheer freakish athleticism or strength in college too where they may just be superior. Maybe they don't have to learn technique as much. Then, they get to the Pros and they lose that edge.

I sometimes feel like Ross is adjusting to that in the Pros. He's still really fast and athletic, but so are the DB's and he has to get that mental edge. IF he can get that to click...I think he could take off.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 05:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: NFL Live was interviewing Taylor today and they asked him about an expert's opinion that the NFL is five years behind college football, and Taylor agreed.

That got me pumped up because we're always talking about how Marvin lacked creativity, game planning, game management, and just overall understanding of how to run an NFL team, and now we have a guy that has been coaching with a mindset that is ahead of all of the coaches that he'll be coaching against!

Taylor's vision for this team has me excited and I'm understanding why players like AJ are excited!

I'm pumped to have a coach with an advanced thought process and the kind of energy and vision that we need!

I'm so excited to see all of the new things that he'll bring on offense and how he'll better utilize our talent.  I'm excited because I think we'll move the ball more and it will bring more big plays!

It's going to be a great season!

The guy who made the original statement is Andy Reid.

The NFL is behind because of its own stubbornness.  The NFL was always ahead of colleges but that changed and the league resisted.  But now that there are teams using college systems and rolling up crazy numbers, eventually, everybody will be doing it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 03:14 PM)McC Wrote: The guy who made the original statement is Andy Reid.

The NFL is behind because of its own stubbornness.  The NFL was always ahead of colleges but that changed and the league resisted.  But now that there are teams using college systems and rolling up crazy numbers, eventually, everybody will be doing it.

Personally, while I realize that you are right and that the change will happen, I don't mind the stubborness and kind of hope it doesn't. I prefer the professional game to what we see in college. It already feels like offense has it too easy in the NFL, and as teams go more and more in the college direction it's only going to get worse.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 03:14 PM)McC Wrote: The guy who made the original statement is Andy Reid.

I see this as well. The NFL saw how the college game was changing and responded with essentially, "You should be following us since you go from college to pro football, not the other way around." The NFL wanted college to conform to their ways, but college finally decided to stop doing that and morphing in order to win more games. What this has ultimately caused is a more difficult learning curve in the transition from college to pros, and it will stay that way until college becomes more like the NFL or vice versa. With that said, you are seeing the pro game morph some too, as evidenced by the increase in the rules favoring offenses (far) more than defenses nowadays compared to 10+ years ago.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see this as well. The NFL saw how the college game was changing and responded with essentially, "You should be following us since you go from college to pro football, not the other way around." The NFL wanted college to conform to their ways, but college finally decided to stop doing that and morphing in order to win more games. What this has ultimately caused is a more difficult learning curve in the transition from college to pros, and it will stay that way until college becomes more like the NFL or vice versa. With that said, you are seeing the pro game morph some too, as evidenced by the increase in the rules favoring offenses (far) more than defenses nowadays compared to 10+ years ago.

I wonder if this won't change as more and more players start sitting out of games to keep themselves healthy for the NFL. I could see a player making the case that not only do they want to avoid injury, but there's just not much to learn in playing the style that these schools do. If schools eventually made a move back to a more pro-style game, maybe the schools could at least argue that hey, we really will help prepare you for the next level by teaching you actual skills and concepts you will use.

Wishful thinking on my part.
Reply/Quote