Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Network- Bengals RB Touches
I think they will use mixon enough to get him some experience and to keep hill fresh. Remember Jim O saying they want hill to do well? That's to increase his trade value should a team come calling or boost the comp they get for him next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
According to NFL.com, Gio will participate in OTAs this week but in a very limited fashion. Kind of good news, I suppose!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 04:06 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think they will use mixon enough to get him some experience and to keep hill fresh.  Remember Jim O saying they want hill to do well?  That's to increase his trade value should a team come calling or boost the comp they get for him next year

Man if they start Hill over Mixon purely to increase the odds of getting a good compensatory pick, that's when things have really gone too far. 

The primes of this core are just about over. There needs to be some urgency.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 04:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man if they start Hill over Mixon purely to increase the odds of getting a good compensatory pick, that's when things have really gone too far. 

Would you put it past them? I think mixon has to convincingly blow the doors off hill based on marvs loyalty to vets. The better hill does is a win win for all. Keep Jeremy fresh enough to boost his stats and his value

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 04:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man if they start Hill over Mixon purely to increase the odds of getting a good compensatory pick, that's when things have really gone too far. 

I don't think a HB is going to get a big enough contract in today's market to really be much of a compensatory pick if any at all. Look at some of the HB's in this last class, I'd say Latavious Murray is on par with Hill and he struggled to get a deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 03:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's a better pass blocker than Hill was coming out, and Hill obviously played a lot. With as many rookie RBs as I see playing every year, I think people either (a) overestimate how important pass blocking is for a RB (none of them are going to be great at stopping 250+ lb defenders) or (b) how hard it is to teach a RB how to block at the NFL level. 

Basically, I see no reason not to play Mixon from jump unless he somehow disappoints in TC. They took the risk for a reason. Now play him. He can't be worse than what we had last year.

Plus the drafting of Mixon all but ensures that Hill won't be around next year. Why wait to integrate Mixon when he's clearly the future lead back?

The same reason he sticks with Bodine and seems like doesn't give much competition behind him. He's familiar with the system and his role. He fixed the fumble issues, slight bump in YPC, and same TDs. The job will be his to lose. He'll be on thin ice and not used in as many packages, but Hill will most likely be the starting back until proven otherwise. But like I said, I see Mixon on the field a lot, especially when they're passing/in the gun.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 05:01 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Would you put it past them?  I think mixon has to convincingly blow the doors off hill based on marvs loyalty to vets.  The better hill does is a win win for all.  Keep Jeremy fresh enough to boost his stats and his value

Unfortunately, no it wouldn't surprise me. They do strongly value comp picks. Plus I know I listed a lot of players who got significant PT as rookies, but it does seem (at times) like Marv makes most rookies "earn" their snaps. I wish I could say he took the same approach with veterans. So it wouldn't surprise me if Mixon started off slow. Hopefully he blows the doors off and forces their hand. 

(05-22-2017, 05:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think a HB is going to get a big enough contract in today's market to really be much of a compensatory pick if any at all. Look at some of the HB's in this last class, I'd say Latavious Murray is on par with Hill and he struggled to get a deal.

Good point. RBs still seem to be valued in the draft, but free agency is another story. Teams would rather go for the young backs...probably due to the shelf life of a RB. Which is yet another reason why I think Mixon should be used early. I could make a list.  Smirk

(05-22-2017, 05:42 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The same reason he sticks with Bodine and seems like doesn't give much competition behind him. He's familiar with the system and his role. He fixed the fumble issues, slight bump in YPC, and same TDs. The job will be his to lose. He'll be on thin ice and not used in as many packages, but Hill will most likely be the starting back until proven otherwise. But like I said, I see Mixon on the field a lot, especially when they're passing/in the gun.

Fair enough. I hope you're wrong though. I think Mixon will be a difference maker, and I've seen enough of Hill. He doesn't look at all like the guy he was in 2014. If that guy makes a sudden appearance in a contract year, I'll have to question it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's anything about our RB situation written in stone, or even anywhere close !

Who knows where Gio is until he's actually out on the field, or not ? Who knows how well Mixon will or won't be able to learn the playbook and/or be able to pick up blitzes ?

I believe Hill will get his chances early on. But I'd also say his leash will be pretty short if Mixon is doing well. And then there's Gio, so it's about as clear as mud at this point.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 06:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. I hope you're wrong though. I think Mixon will be a difference maker, and I've seen enough of Hill. He doesn't look at all like the guy he was in 2014. If that guy makes a sudden appearance in a contract year, I'll have to question it.

I think it'll be the perfect situation. He can still get plenty of reps, and the best thing that happens is he goes wild and earns starting job. Worst case Hill starts with several packages with Mixon in them until he's ready. They have options, which is a good thing. They can let this play out and start the best player. TC and preseason will go a long ways to figuring that out ThumbsUp
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 08:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Hill is still a viable red zone producer

If he hit the holes on regular downs like does at the goal line? He would be great again. He fights in the RZ (at 5yds out). He hits holes hard and this is even with defenses stacking the lines. However, put 4 D/Linemen up front on a regular play? Dancin with the stars! Just don't get it?

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 04:06 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think they will use mixon enough to get him some experience and to keep hill fresh.  Remember Jim O saying they want hill to do well?  That's to increase his trade value should a team come calling or boost the comp they get for him next year

They only problem I have with this, if Hill does shitty, which he will, Marvin wont pull the strings till week 10-11. He's such a horrible coach. Either that, or he's so controlled by Mike (which I'm sure he runs by Marvin what he would like to see every week) that it ruins this team year after year. Doesn't matter, they're both douchebags!

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 08:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If he hit the holes on regular downs like does at the goal line? He would be great again. He fights in the RZ (at 5yds out). He hits holes hard and this is even with defenses stacking the lines. However, put 4 D/Linemen up front on a regular play? Dancin with the stars! Just don't get it?

Yup,

It's been said a thousand times but, it's true. Somewhere along the line like a season and a half ago Hill got the idea in his head that he's a scat back and he's very much not. And to be totally fair I think the play calling/formations haven't helped him.

But still, the bottom line IMHO, Hill isn't going to get it done. I hope he proves me wrong, you can't have to many good backs !
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 07:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: NFL Network had a segment called Splitting The Touches where it goes through backfields and predicts how many carries each of the main backs will get per game.

Hill- 3

Gio- 11

Mixon- 20

First off, I still think Hill gets cut before the season starts, but I was happy with him only getting three carries if he stays because he has become a ballerina in the backfield and doesn't hit the holes.

I think our backfield has a hell of a lot more touches than 34 a game just between Bernard, Mixon, and whoever our third back is because we won't want to wear Mixon down, but he's a great back, so I don't see him taking a lot of big hits, and I also think he'll get 5 or so catches in the pass game. I see him getting 25 touches a game, although I do think Marvin might be too cautious with him in not wanting to run him into the ground, which I don't think is a possibility at 25 a game considering he's not a pounder. He can lower his pads and pound if need-be, but he's just great when he gets a bit of space, so he doesn't need to be a pounder.

Gio with 10 might make sense except I think we'll have the ball a lot more and so he'll have a lot more opportunities. I also think see him in the slot a lot more as a receiver and we'll use him a lot more in the scat-back type, sort of in a Darren Sproles type role.

Am I right in thinking that this "expert" evaluation was off?

Why would they cut Hill this year when he's still on his rookie contract, has nearly 3000 yards rushing in 3 seasons, leads the nfl in touchdowns since coming into the league, and Gio is rehabbing a torn ACL and Mixon has yet to take a snap???

Hill will most likely see double digit carries along with Mixon until at least Gio can prove that he is ready.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 02:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Other people mentioned Hill's short yardage abilities, too, but let's not overlook that Mixon is no slouch at lowering his pad levels and driving into the endzone, either.

I just see Mixon as a do-it-all guy that can take our offense to the next level.

I can see us keeping Hill because of us needing another between-the-tackles back, but, if I had it my way, I'd cut Hill and use that money to overpay a FA center if one comes available.

Then again, there is the compensation pick factor.

Not that that is a terribly idea Brad, i just don't see that happening at all.

No way are they gonna cut Hill on the last year of his rookie deal and no way are they going to go after a Center in FA this year.
Reply/Quote