Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Radio - Worried about our OL and our run defense
(09-04-2017, 07:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I listened to a NFL radio segment I think with Tucker and his partner around 5 tonight. One picked is 9-7 and no playoffs and one 8-8.

They did the OL was a major concern, but they said our run defense would suffer greatly with loss of Peko and Rey. M.

We all can agree the OL is a big question mark. But, I never thought about losing not 1 but 2 run stoppers in the middle of the field.

Thoughts?

I don't think either of those talking heads have done an ounce of research and are just parroting what they have heard around the league on ESPN, etc.  

The OL is a concern, but they have actually played together quite well in the preseason.  Ask the Redskins how their Pro Bowl tackle fared in a game against Cincinnati?  I am very impressed with Fisher's improvement, and I think the run blocking overall has improved enough that they won't be forced in to 3rd and long's, which creates problems for any offensive line.

Our defense will suffer with the loss of one of the slowest LBs in the game, and a DT that, while a great guy, offered virtually no pass rush at all?  Billings hasn't even shown his stuff as a pass rusher yet.  But the LBs of Vigil and Burfict in nickel is a night-and-day improvement over last year when they went Maualuga and Vinney Rey.  

It's OK, let them crap on the Bengals...they will be the ones that look stupid in the end.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't think either of those talking heads have done an ounce of research and are just parroting what they have heard around the league on ESPN, etc.  

The OL is a concern, but they have actually played together quite well in the preseason.  Ask the Redskins how their Pro Bowl tackle fared in a game against Cincinnati?  I am very impressed with Fisher's improvement, and I think the run blocking overall has improved enough that they won't be forced in to 3rd and long's, which creates problems for any offensive line.

Our defense will suffer with the loss of one of the slowest LBs in the game, and a DT that, while a great guy, offered virtually no pass rush at all?  Billings hasn't even shown his stuff as a pass rusher yet.  But the LBs of Vigil and Burfict in nickel is a night-and-day improvement over last year when they went Maualuga and Vinney Rey.  

It's OK, let them crap on the Bengals...they will be the ones that look stupid in the end.  

Tucker had them at 9-7 and close to a WC, he did not crap on them like others have done. He said he sees a lot he likes about the Bengals including Dalton and Green. We have debated Peko over the years with many calling a run stopper a poor pass rusher (not his role), but in reality he has been and remains good at his role, Denver signing him and paying him big bucks (compared to other run stopping only DT's) proved it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Maualugas absence was hardly missed last year
He could not longer never shed blocks and stonewall Rbs
He became was always slow and liability

Fix in bold.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Fix in bold.

I mostly agree,

Maualuga and Peko  had a few useful seasons where they were average to maybe slightly above (at times) against the run. 

Peko was basically useless on pass plays, and Maualuga was never able to cover even a fire hydrant. Both were here at least a year to long probably two !

Although Peko probably still has a season left as a blocker eater on 1st down, I'm way more than ok with moving on to players who offer more.
Reply/Quote
Funny how we say the Bengals are to loyal to aging vets that need to go, then turn around and say a couple of dead beats will be missed. Peko looked like he was on skates, constantly driven backwards. Rey couldn't do what is most important to the position he played, which was tackle! I will say though, what I have seen from Minter, not that impressed so far. Billings is coming off a major injury, Sims holds his ground pretty good. Billings will get over the injury and we will all be saying, Peko who?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Fix in bold.

I wouldn't go that far. Rey was decent for a few years. But this last year for sure did him in. He was pretty much flat out awful and seemed like he didn't care that much anymore. They get better in both cap regards and bringing in the youth movement (speed/athleticism). 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good to hear so should be easy to get better right shake?

Uh yeah dude. That's kinda what "addition by subtraction" means. We got better on paper by ditching liabilities.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Rey had a decent rookie year, n then has been bad since then. His job was to stuff the run, but ive never seen a 260 lb linebacker dive at so many legs and wiff than this guy. Once engaged with anyone he could never shed n make a tackle. He was just terrible. Minter unfortunately looks almost as bad, but its preseason. But id take anyone over #58 .
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 07:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I listened to a NFL radio segment I think with Tucker and his partner around 5 tonight. One picked is 9-7 and no playoffs and one 8-8.

They did the OL was a major concern, but they said our run defense would suffer greatly with loss of Peko and Rey. M.

We all can agree the OL is a big question mark. But, I never thought about losing not 1 but 2 run stoppers in the middle of the field.

Thoughts?

I'm not "worried" about the run defense.  Losing Peko may have some effect, but to put Rey M. in that discussion is pretty useless since he was hardly ever on the field due to personnel matchups.

We'll see how much Peko meant to this team this year.  There are always a ton of people that point at him being useless.  
Reply/Quote
Well the season is here. The time for concern is over and reality is facing us.

The Oline will be the story of the season.

We struggled to stop the run at the start of the season last year with Rey and Peko. This Defense typically takes a half season to get it's feet under it. I expect teams to be able to run on us. Our DT position outside of Atkins is one of the worse in the league.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well the season is here. The time for concern is over and reality is facing us.

The Oline will be the story of the season.

We struggled to stop the run at the start of the season last year with Rey and Peko. This Defense typically takes a half season to get it's feet under it. I expect teams to be able to run on us. Our DT position outside of Atkins is one of the worse in the league.

You forgot at start of 2016 no "Burfict" as well and again no Burfict again in 2017 to start the season. Let's see if we improve, stay the same or get worse in the run game by letting Rey M. and Peko go.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
True. Forgot Burfict wasn't around. Same can be said for start of 2015. Even though we went 6-0 without him. We struggled to stop run.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Was nervous about the D and specifically the run defense after the KC preseason game.

After watching last nights KC vs NE game, it looks like that K Hunt kid is on another level. I can now understand why the D didn't look great against KC, their O is explosive!
Reply/Quote
Nothing to worry about because after each win you'll have the GRAND opportunity to get a FREE, yes FREE coupon for a cup of crappy coffee at Dunkin Dog nuts.. 

That alone should dispel any fears of the upcoming season. Or maybe not. They might lose all 16 games in which case you'll be spared that crappy cup of dog nut coffee..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 12:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: Nothing to worry about because after each win you'll have the GRAND opportunity to get a FREE, yes FREE coupon for a cup of crappy coffee at Dunkin Dog nuts.. 

That alone should dispel any fears of the upcoming season. Or maybe not. They might lose all 16 games in which case you'll be spared that crappy cup of dog nut coffee..  

Cincinnati needs Tim Horton's. It blows DD out of the water.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

If the O-line specifically Og, Fisher and Hopkins didn't show any improvement on the O-line this Preseason i would of agreed
with them on that one. And if Peko and Maualuga didn't fall off a cliff here i would of agreed with them on their second point.

I am a bit concerned with how we played the run in the Preseason but Billings and Glasgow will get better with more snaps
and both could be much better than Peko. While Minter has been underwhelming so far he will get better in the system as
well with more snaps and Maualuga was virtually invisible last year against the run, how can we not improve?

Nah, 9-7 at the very least barring injuries, most likely the Playoffs again IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 12:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cincinnati needs Tim Horton's. It blows DD out of the water.

Hehe

We have 1 at every other corner here Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I don't know how anyone couldn't be concerned about the line until the real games start. Ced was so bad last year, its hard to forget.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:32 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Peko sux

Have heard it for years but disagree. He fills the gap and rarely if ever gets moved out of it.

Maybe you guys are right and Vance Joseph is an idiot ?

He is getting long in the tooth and was going to have to be replaced soon anyhow.

Just saying that he will not be replaced easily imo.  Nor will Whit.

Billings looks really slow and not sure he will do it. Hard to use your strength if they get leverage on you off the snap.

Hope so though because I like him and we need him to do so quickly.

Peko - like lots of Bengals - was underappreciated.  He was a space eater who could move well laterally and occasionally good shoot the gaps.  But he could be moved backwards and often was.

But as of now he looks better than Billings.  Billings is getting washed out of his gaps regularly and is controlled by the O-linemen.   I sure hope he improves.  Glascow has looked better than Billings - but has not been anything to write home about.   Hopefully they improve with experience.

The run defense for the ones has been bad all pre-season.   A big concern.   And we have had trouble getting any movement in the run game in the middle of our offensive line.   The tackles have looked better than I thought they would.  But when the real bullets start flying...   We'll see.

Tucker is pretty good about looking at film, though how much I don't know.  He knows his stuff though.

I'd be very happy if both he and I have egg on our face and both interior lines kill it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly, I don't know how anyone couldn't be concerned about the line until the real games start.  Ced was so bad last year, its hard to forget.

But he has looked way better Hammer...

Yeah, lets see tomorrow.

Og atleast shown he is good as a pull blocker in the run game. Needs to gain aggressiveness though for sure.

Boling is 100% and looking like a stud in both run blocking and pass blocking. This guy is better than Zeitler.

Bodine still is mediocre but hey, that is Bodine and PA's deal.

Hopkins looked very good in Preseason, very good run blocking especially. This guy so far has been my surprise of the year in a great way.

Fisher looks bigger and stronger than last year.

Yeah, lets see tomorrow against the Ratbirds.
Reply/Quote