Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Schedule Bias
I love a good conspiracy theory, and am a little bored waiting for the Bengals - Ravens game to start. My conspiracy theory is that the league intentionally gives the Steelers an advantage when deciding home and away games, and the last game of the year.

The last few years, the Steelers have gotten to end the season against the powerhouse Browns, essentially assuring them of a win that could help their seeding in, or get them into, the playoffs.

Looking at the home and away for this year and the next two years, they seem to catch a number of breaks. This year, playing the NFC North, who do they get at home? The two toughest teams in that division, Minnesota and Green Bay. They also get New England at home. Against the AFC South, the same thing. They get Tennessee and Jacksonville at home. They get the weaker teams on the road.

Next year is similar against the AFC West and NFC South. They get KC, the Chargers, Carolina, and Atlanta at home. On the road, the get Denver, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans (that might be a push with Carolina or Atlanta).

In 2019, it’s not quite as bad, but they still get more easy games on the road and tough games at home, playing the Rams, Seattle, Miami, and Buffalo. On the road, they play SF, Arizona, the Jets, and New England (that’s a tough one).

Granted, this is all based on how the teams are playing now, and wasn’t necessarily known when the future schedules were set. Still, it seems a little too convenient. Also, in each case, the Bengals play on the road the teams the Steelers get at home and vice versa. Maybe the league has it in for us, too? Just sayin’!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The out of division and put of conference games are in a rotation basis. So, while they get Carolina and Atlanta at home next year, in four years they play them on the road. Same with the AFC West, where home games next year will be away games in three years. Works the same for the Bengals. It's a dice roll as to who will be good when.

So, if you're going to make a case for favoritism, it lies with the timing of games, especially within the division. Getting the Browns at year end is a W, for sure. But, I imagine soon it will be changed up and we'll stop seeing Baltimore at year's end and we'll play either the Steelers or Browns the last game of the year.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote