Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Sunday Ticket moving to Youtube
(01-12-2023, 05:26 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm hooked on NFL plus. I watch the games on my schedule with almost all of the commercials removed. Most games clock in under two hours and 20 minutes instead of over three hours and I usually skip the halftime.

I tried it.
I just can't avoid seeing the score of the game while it's happening, so the interest to watch the game after knowing the score greatly goes down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been using YT TV for a few years and really like it.  I've never had a significant issue with streaming and I have it on pretty much all day when I am home. There is one exception though.  The stations owned by Fox have a tendency to freeze up for a few seconds every now and then.  Apparently it is a known issue but again it hasn't been anything I'd consider deal breaking.  Mostly switching from cable to YT has saved me a fair amount of money with what I'd consider pretty much the same level of performance.  

It doesn't look like Sunday Ticket will be dramatically cheaper on YouTube.  As I mentioned in the other thread apparently CBS and Fox have deals with the NFL that limits how cheap Sunday Ticket can be.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/disney-apple-and-amazon-keep-waiting-as-nfl-considers-sunday-ticket-offers.html

Quote:When the NFL signed contracts with CBS and Fox, the deals included language that mandates Sunday Ticket have a premium price so as not to pull too many eyeballs away from the local market Sunday afternoon games acquired by the broadcast networks, three of the people said.

That means any owner of Sunday Ticket rights won’t be able to significantly lower the price on the out-of-market package, which typically costs about $300 per year. It also prevents an existing streaming service, such as ESPN+, to simply add in Sunday Ticket at little or no extra cost to boost subscribers.

So I don't think you are going to get it for like $19.99 a month or something in that price range.  Also I'm not sure how the agreement with CBS and Fox would affect YT TV having the option of offering an à la carte service if that is something they were considering.  That type of thing would be great for Bengals fans that live outside the coverage area though.  I imagine we may not hear much about pricing and what types of plans they may offer for several months.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 09:12 AM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone wants streaming but the application actually sucked. Amazon Thursday Night games were so bad this year. Sound was an issue slow speeds bad cameras etc.

It will get better but right now the whole "streaming football" is bad. I do have to admit I'm happy this is google and not amazon and Apple. I dont like how Amazon is doing Thursday Night football and I have a massive grudge against Apple.

Also unlike most streaming formations YouTube let's you change the resolution all the way up passed high def and all the way down to 144p.

Wow we had very different experiences. Guess it depends on quality of your internet. The Thursday night 4k games on Prime looked amazing. Likewise, the 4k content on YouTube TV is absolutely fantastic albeit somewhat limited in scope to mostly sports. YTTV almost never buffers, the DVR is unlimited and the layout is nearly perfect. Like I said, your streaming experience is going to be directly tied to the quality of your internet
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 08:30 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw that price and said hell no

I loooove professional football but not that much

Hopefully YouTube will have an option where you can pay a discounted price but only get out of state games for 1 team. 

If I could pay say $50 and see every Bengals game or $150 for all NFL games I think a lot more people would do it. The $$ figures are obviously just made up but I hope for something like that. 
Reply/Quote
This is awesome news for people (like me) who live outside the Cincy area and don't have DirectTV, but who live in large metro areas and can get true high speed internet. I wonder about my friends who live in rural areas with basic broadband and how streaming will go for them with live sports. I have a friend who lives in rural SE Ohio and he's been a DirecTV/Sunday Ticket customer from the very beginning of that partnership, so this may not be good news for him.

I live in Atlanta and am a season ticket holder for the Bengals, so I'm usually in Cincy for home games anyway, but for the past two years I've subscribed to Sunday Ticket through DirectTV's app, which is streaming (no satellite), and while it normally gets the job done, their streaming app sucks.

I already have YTTV for my normal TV needs, so this will be seamless for me. RIP DirecTV though.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 08:04 AM)Brimey Wrote: If NFL wanted to they could provide this service themselves and with a modicum of creativity, give fans something new to get excited about.

I'd love the option to pay 29.99 a month or so to get all the Bengals games, exclusive interviews with players, old Bengals games with a couple players who played in them giving a Manningcast type commentary, etc etc. So much opportunity for individual teams to increase revenue by going directly to their fans.

The NFL hasn't independently streamed live games yet, right? They do have their NFL+ app where you can watch replays and All-22's of games a few days after they've aired live.  For them, it's just more profitable to let the networks and streamers pay billions to them and stay away from making the investment in the technology themselves.  

Amazon's TNF games were rough, but it was the first year.  I don't have any trouble at all streaming live games through the YTTV app. I have their package that allows unlimited screens, and I'm a college and pro football junkie, so I have three screens set up in my basement and stream 3 games at a time, some in 4k, and never have a problem with YTTV streaming.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:33 PM)TheFan Wrote: Hopefully YouTube will have an option where you can pay a discounted price but only get out of state games for 1 team. 

If I could pay say $50 and see every Bengals game or $150 for all NFL games I think a lot more people would do it. The $$ figures are obviously just made up but I hope for something like that. 

That seems way too low. I would guess price would be closer to $150 for a team (if they offer that as an option) and $300 for all games
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I tried it.
I just can't avoid seeing the score of the game while it's happening, so the interest to watch the game after knowing the score greatly goes down.

Oh. I totally get that. All of my friends know that I don't want to hear updates or congratulations via text or phone call. If there ever is an issue, it's usually week one but after that, everybody ignores me on Sundays during the NFL season.

Games up here in Alaska are 9:00 am, noon and the late game starts at 4:20, :-)-~~~.

Since most of our games are around 9:00 am, all I usually do is sleep in, do some chores around the house or garage and then settle in for my game around noon:30/1:00. I'm not someone that lives on his phone or HAS to hit the web every five to 10 minutes so spoilers are pretty rare in my NFL Sundays set up.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:14 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: That seems way too low. I would guess price would be closer to $150 for a team (if they offer that as an option) and $300 for all games

Yea, I was just making up numbers to show there should be a price discrepancy of doing just 1 team vs every game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Oh. I totally get that. All of my friends know that I don't want to hear updates or congratulations via text or phone call. If there ever is an issue, it's usually week one but after that, everybody ignores me on Sundays during the NFL season.

Games up here in Alaska are 9:00 am, noon and the late game starts at 4:20, :-)-~~~.

Since most of our games are around 9:00 am, all I usually do is sleep in, do some chores around the house or garage and then settle in for my game around noon:30/1:00. I'm not someone that lives on his phone or HAS to hit the web every five to 10 minutes so spoilers are pretty rare in my NFL Sundays set up.

Yea, I've tried turning my phone upside down or put in a different room when the game is actually happening live and then also while trying to watch the replay. But that's over 6 hours lol. Plus I can't watch any other game during the live game either because I'd see those updates on the screen too.
And I'm in software, so it's extremely difficult to be away from any device.

Mad props to anyone who can do that haha.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 09:12 AM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone wants streaming but the application actually sucked. Amazon Thursday Night games were so bad this year. Sound was an issue slow speeds bad cameras etc.

It will get better but right now the whole "streaming football" is bad. I do have to admit I'm happy this is google and not amazon and Apple. I dont like how Amazon is doing Thursday Night football and I have a massive grudge against Apple.

Also unlike most streaming formations YouTube let's you change the resolution all the way up passed high def and all the way down to 144p.

i had no issues with the Thursday night streaming.  I thought the picture was phenomenal.   I just hated how I couldn't quickly change channels on my apple TV for commercials like you can when a game is playing within the YouTubeTV app.

The Bengals are a big draw for the networks.  I live in Iowa, and I bet the Bengals were on our national affiliates here at least 10 times.   Compared to the 90's, I'll take it.   :)   

I used to have DirecTV and made the switch to YouTubeTV three years ago and could NOT be happier about it.

I go with the RedZone channel for my Sunday football watching.   Feels like you never miss a Bengals play once they cross midfield.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, I've tried turning my phone upside down or put in a different room when the game is actually happening live and then also while trying to watch the replay. But that's over 6 hours lol. Plus I can't watch any other game during the live game either because I'd see those updates on the screen too.
And I'm in software, so it's extremely difficult to be away from any device.

Mad props to anyone who can do that haha.

That's my pain as well. My phone is attached to my hand.
Reply/Quote

I've had Youtube TV for a couple years now and the streams have been pretty much fine.
I would expect that streaming a Sunday Ticket game will be just as smooth on Youtube TV as watching a game on there that's on ESPN, CBS, FOX, or NBC.

Just as a side note, I really like Youtube TV in general. It gives me pretty much every channel I want except for the Bally Sports regional channel(s).
That's literally the only thing I haven't liked about it.
But with the Reds being so bad, I've been ok not having it.
And for those wondering why I would get the Reds but not the Bengals, it's because somehow the Reds are considered in-market all the way down here in Nashville, along with the Braves. So MLB streaming out-of-market games doesn't work (without faking my location to somewhere else obv, which I don't do).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:43 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I'm with you there, my friend.  
I was an original  Sunday Ticket subscriber and at that time you could pay for it as  stand alone option without the monthly direct tv programming.   I grandfathered that until I was forced to move to another home and they declared I had not shifted my home but had reestablished it....bye bye grandfathering.   I was OK with it  as I had negotiated a package  for the new home before I disconnected the old one....or so I had thought.   

When it came time to hook up the new satellite...there was not record of the sweet deal that I was offered to continue my subscription.   The old bate and switch.   Lesson learned.   

Now when they come calling online or on phone and start giving me the big sell, I tell them to send the details to my email so I have a paper trail of it.   "Sorry, there is no way we can do that".    Sorry, then there is no way I will EVER use your product again.   Fool me once, shame on you; twice, shame on me.   I'll just watch a replay on NFL.com.

I've had DirecTv since 96 & only Sunday Ticket since 2000....lol. I can finally be done with ShitrecTV.
Reply/Quote

I've been streaming on Xbox for a decade with no problem. Haven't had a DirecTv cable box for that long.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:10 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Wow we had very different experiences. Guess it depends on quality of your internet. The Thursday night 4k games on Prime looked amazing. Likewise, the 4k content on YouTube TV is absolutely fantastic albeit somewhat limited in scope to mostly sports. YTTV almost never buffers, the DVR is unlimited and the layout is nearly perfect. Like I said, your streaming experience is going to be directly tied to the quality of your internet

(01-13-2023, 02:38 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: i had no issues with the Thursday night streaming.  I thought the picture was phenomenal.   I just hated how I couldn't quickly change channels on my apple TV for commercials like you can when a game is playing within the YouTubeTV app.

The Bengals are a big draw for the networks.  I live in Iowa, and I bet the Bengals were on our national affiliates here at least 10 times.   Compared to the 90's, I'll take it.   :)   

I used to have DirecTV and made the switch to YouTubeTV three years ago and could NOT be happier about it.

I go with the RedZone channel for my Sunday football watching.   Feels like you never miss a Bengals play once they cross midfield.

(01-13-2023, 04:08 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I've been streaming on Xbox for a decade with no problem. Haven't had a DirecTv cable box for that long.

There's a ton of articles on the poor quality of the Amazon Thursday Night Games. And it's not just the internet quality although that is a major part they've had alot of audio issues all season. TNF ratings took a massive drop.

Of course the networks have been dealing with live football forever so it isnt a surprise Amazon would have a few issues in their first year. I'm sure next year will be ten times overall quality.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:05 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’ve been “forced” to subscribe to DirecTV for my entire adult life. I made the call and kicked them out of my life on Monday. Feels good.

Just did that today and I was in the exact same situation.  Living in NY my only option was get DirecTV and Sunday ticket or don't get to watch the Bengals.

Very happy to be cutting the cord!  No more sat boxes, cabling, power for the boxes/dish. And YouTubeTV is less than half the price.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 04:24 PM)Synric Wrote: There's a ton of articles on the poor quality of the Amazon Thursday Night Games. And it's not just the internet quality although that is a major part they've had alot of audio issues all season. TNF ratings took a massive drop.

Of course the networks have been dealing with live football forever so it isnt a surprise Amazon would have a few issues in their first year. I'm sure next year will be ten times overall quality.

Big part of the ratings drop was also the absolute shit show of games/matchups they had. They were pretty terrible. But I get your point...not everyone's experience was as seamless as mine. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:10 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Wow we had very different experiences. Guess it depends on quality of your internet. The Thursday night 4k games on Prime looked amazing. Likewise, the 4k content on YouTube TV is absolutely fantastic albeit somewhat limited in scope to mostly sports. YTTV almost never buffers, the DVR is unlimited and the layout is nearly perfect. Like I said, your streaming experience is going to be directly tied to the quality of your internet

Same here.  I have watched quite a few Thursday games through Amazon and have had zero issues.  

Even though we live in a tiny, very rural town, we are very fortunate to have fiber internet service through Empire Access.  I get 1gb by 50mb for a flat 65 a month.
Reply/Quote
I have been paying for the Sunday Ticket for about 15 years. Not really excited about switching to You Tube as I do love my DVR and recording games to re-watch. I really will need to switch now, hopefully it is at least comparable.

Well just watched a review of YouTube TV and you can record as much as you want it just auto deletes at 9 months of age.

$60 base fee , I am guessing I pay closer to $150 for DirectTV base.
Reply/Quote