Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Sunday Ticket without Direct TV subscription
For years I carried Direct TV just so I could get Sunday Ticket. When we cut ties, I figured out other ways to be eligible for the streaming service. Four years ago, I went back to school to get my master's degree which made me eligible for the student plan. However, this year, I seemingly had no option other than to borrow a student account number from a friend.

Nevertheless, I decided to log into my account just to see if the plan had magically auto-renewed, which it hadn't, and the system informed me I was no longer eligible for the student plan. However, after poking around on the site some, it allowed me to register for the Sunday Ticket streaming service without paying for the Direct TV subscription. Their site really is terrible and it kept switching me back and forth between the Sunday Ticket site and the Direct TV site, but eventually it asked me to pick my Sunday Ticket package and so I'm signed up for what is probably my 20th (and thankfully last) season with their service.

Take-away: go poke around on the dedicated Sunday Ticket site. It seems like they've changed something so that you can subscribe to just the streaming service without the Direct TV subscription.

Good luck. I know lots of you have asked for this, so hopefully its not just some fluke in their system that allowed me to do it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Out of curiosity, how much are you paying for just Sunday Ticket?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:14 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Out of curiosity, how much are you paying for just Sunday Ticket?

$200 for the season, $50/mo for 4 months.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:11 AM)wcu Wrote: For years I carried Direct TV just so I could get Sunday Ticket.  When we cut ties, I figured out other ways to be eligible for the streaming service.  Four years ago, I went back to school to get my master's degree which made me eligible for the student plan.  However, this year, I seemingly had no option other than to borrow a student account number from a friend.

Nevertheless, I decided to log into my account just to see if the plan had magically auto-renewed, which it hadn't, and the system informed me I was no longer eligible for the student plan.  However, after poking around on the site some, it allowed me to register for the Sunday Ticket streaming service without paying for the Direct TV subscription.  Their site really is terrible and it kept switching me back and forth between the Sunday Ticket site and the Direct TV site, but eventually it asked me to pick my Sunday Ticket package and so I'm signed up for what is probably my 20th (and thankfully last) season with their service.

Take-away: go poke around on the dedicated Sunday Ticket site.  It seems like they've changed something so that you can subscribe to just the streaming service without the Direct TV subscription.  

Good luck.  I know lots of you have asked for this, so hopefully its not just some fluke in their system that allowed me to do it.

You are only eligible to do this if you are not in an area that has DIRECTV available. Here is the site where you can see if you are eligible, for those curious.

https://nflst.directv.com/
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You are only eligible to do this if you are not in an area that has DIRECTV available. Here is the site where you can see if you are eligible, for those curious.

https://nflst.directv.com/

Yeah, but I'm in a major metro area where Direct TV is definitely available.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:28 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah, but I'm in a major metro area where Direct TV is definitely available.

Interesting. If you check for eligibility on that link I posted, does it say that you are eligible? I live in a major metro area and I am not eligible to sign up. 
Reply/Quote
Isn't the NFL offering streaming packages that are separate and apart from DirectTV and Sunday Ticket?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:33 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Interesting. If you check for eligibility on that link I posted, does it say that you are eligible? I live in a major metro area and I am not eligible to sign up. 

Yeah by clicking on that link, it says I have to sign up for a Direct TV package in my area.  

I'll try to replicate my steps from before and see if I can get a link to that signup page I found.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:37 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah by clicking on that link, it says I have to sign up for a Direct TV package in my area.  

I'll try to replicate my steps from before and see if I can get a link to that signup page I found.

Yeah, I would be interested in what you found. Thanks in advance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:38 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I would be interested in what you found. Thanks in advance. 

Here's what I can deduce:

As we just described, trying to do it as a regular "off the street" web user makes you jump through the "check eligibility" hoops, which of course won't work.

I logged in first using my existing account and poked around.  Of course, it kept taking my to the Direct TV lineup first, but eventually let me pick a ST streaming service a la carte.  

It specifically said I wasn't eligible to use my student account any longer, so that is ruled out.

Perhaps since I'm at work it picked up my location via our VPN and thinks I'm Alaska or something?  That may be worth exploring.

Of course it could be that just creating a Direct TV log-in gets you past that "check eligibility" gate keeper and lets you back door it like I did.  

Those are the only two things I can think of.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't the NFL offering streaming packages that are separate and apart from DirectTV and Sunday Ticket?

NFL Plus provides streams of live in-market games for mobile devices.  NFL Plus Premium provides that plus replays of any NFL game after they're over.   Sunday Ticket is the still the only package that provides live access to out of market games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:57 AM)Roland Wrote: NFL Plus provides streams of live in-market games for mobile devices.  NFL Plus Premium provides that plus replays of any NFL game after they're over.   Sunday Ticket is the still the only package that provides live access to out of market games.  

Ah, I didn't catch the part about in-market games only.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:28 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah, but I'm in a major metro area where Direct TV is definitely available.

I believe it also has to do with if you are able to install a dish at your particular residence.  I am in a major metro but cannot install a dish.  I was given the option to sign up, but at a higher cost - $78 and $99 / month.

I really ***** hate the tax payer funded monopolies that have been allowed to persist in this space for so long, be it telecom / cable / ISPs.  Its all horseshit.    /rant  
Reply/Quote
Avast, yo-ho, and a bottle of rum.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 10:57 AM)Roland Wrote: NFL Plus provides streams of live in-market games for mobile devices.  NFL Plus Premium provides that plus replays of any NFL game after they're over.   Sunday Ticket is the still the only package that provides live access to out of market games.  

If you have an IOS device can you AirPlay the NFL+ game to the big screen TV?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 01:40 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: If you have an IOS device can you AirPlay the NFL+ game to the big screen TV?

Probably not. Yahoo Sports would stream games, and they seemed to have that pretty well locked down against casting it to other screens, so I have to imagine NFL+ includes those same restrictions.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 02:19 PM)CrowFoot Wrote: Probably not. Yahoo Sports would stream games, and they seemed to have that pretty well locked down against casting it to other screens, so I have to imagine NFL+ includes those same restrictions.

Yeah, I know the NFL app that allows you to watch games on your phone will not let you cast them to another device. I suppose they are afraid bar owners will do that instead of paying the money.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 12:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ah, I didn't catch the part about in-market games only.

I am in Naples, Fl. so off to a sports bar for me Sunday
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 01:06 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I believe it also has to do with if you are able to install a dish at your particular residence.  I am in a major metro but cannot install a dish.  I was given the option to sign up, but at a higher cost - $78 and $99 / month.

I really ***** hate the tax payer funded monopolies that have been allowed to persist in this space for so long, be it telecom / cable / ISPs.  Its all horseshit.    /rant  

Good news is I believe 2022 is last year Ticket will be monopolized by Direct TV
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 02:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good news is I believe 2022 is last year Ticket will be monopolized by Direct TV

Yes for sure DTV is cooked going up against Amazon and Apple.  What's great for the NFL owners, they have to be squealing now, is the Amazon show that's a take off on Lord of The Rings.  Amazon paid $1 billion for that clunker, so what will they be willing to pay for Sunday ticket,  $2 billion?  $3 billion, $4 billion?  I think the new rights will be awarded for the 2023 season, not sure.
Reply/Quote