Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Worrisome Quote
(09-19-2022, 08:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When's the last time a team won the Super Bowl with a top contract RB? The 2013 Seahawks? Mixon is no Beast Mode.

Running backs are pretty low on the importance totem pole. The vast majority of guys have very little impact on team success and the uber-elite guys only marginally so. For instance, Henry was/is second fiddle to Tannehill as far as who's more important to victories. I like Mixon, don't get me wrong, but he is overrated by Bengals fans and there would likely be little to no drop-off in production if Mixon was swapped for Chris Evans/Perine full time. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The strange part is that both Taylor and Burrow talked during camp about the fact they'll see a lot more cover 2 this year, but it doesn't appear they prepared very well for what they knew was coming. That's a coaching failure on Zac and Brian's part and Burrow has made some pretty bad reads / decisions on his part. Everyone just looks confused and out of whack in the 1st halves of the 1st 2 games, and at times in the 2nd halves too. 

Then, there's the stubbornness that keeps wanting to employ the wide zone too much in the run game when they really don't have the players for it and it's constantly failing due to quick penetration and lack of athleticism on this line.

The overall offense scheme is just a muddled mess right now. The coaches seem to be trying to figure it out on the fly, and it's led to heavy doses of passive, predictable play calling.

so what is sentiment after Jets sack hm 6 more times and  Flacco kicks ass on Sunday? Im sorry for Debbie downer but I see no glimmer of anything changing anytome soon at least. Other "good" teams still are winning and winning BIG...other teams adjust and they have a plan on how to execute with whats being thrown at them. Im tired of the lethargic 1st halves and hoping for them to wake up later  
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 10:36 AM)kalibengal Wrote: so what is sentiment after Jets sack hm 6 more times and  Flacco kicks ass on Sunday? Im sorry for Debbie downer but I see no glimmer of anything changing anytome soon at least. Other "good" teams still are winning and winning BIG...other teams adjust and they have a plan on how to execute with whats being thrown at them. Im tired of the lethargic 1st halves and hoping for them to wake up later  

Even the Bills with what, 4 or 5 turnovers beat the Rams 31-10. Allen has all day to throw.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one that thinks everyone is over-reacting a bit? As a team we look as good as we looked last year. We're having a slow start, which is understandable with the tough defenses week 1-2 and not having a pre-season, and having 4 new players up front.

We all should have known it would be a shaky start with the offensive line needing time to gel into a cohesive unit. To me I see Burrow running for his life with no time to throw. Give him time to throw and things improve. They just need to get the running game going a little more and to settle down up front. The coaching can improve as well in terms of scheme and play calling.

But what I'm getting at is people need to take a step back and remove their preconceived notions of what they thought this team would be in week 1. We aren't the Bills. We are the team we were last year, trying to improve our weaknesses and reach that elite level.

We proved last year we can beat anybody. We haven't proven to be a power-house quite yet and the reason being our offensive line. We addressed it in FA, now is time for the coaching to improve the unit and we'll start to see some wins.

I'm seeing people suggesting we bench Mixon, that Burrow is done.. I really didn't expect this level of hysteria, but here we are. My advice is to just sit back and watch. This (extremely young) team should improve a lot this year. I'm excited to see progress as the season goes on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 02:47 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks everyone is over-reacting a bit? As a team we look as good as we looked last year. We're having a slow start, which is understandable with the tough defenses week 1-2 and not having a pre-season, and having 4 new players up front.

We all should have known it would be a shaky start with the offensive line needing time to gel into a cohesive unit. To me I see Burrow running for his life with no time to throw. Give him time to throw and things improve. They just need to get the running game going a little more and to settle down up front. The coaching can improve as well in terms of scheme and play calling.

But what I'm getting at is people need to take a step back and remove their preconceived notions of what they thought this team would be in week 1. We aren't the Bills. We are the team we were last year, trying to improve our weaknesses and reach that elite level.

We proved last year we can beat anybody. We haven't proven to be a power-house quite yet and the reason being our offensive line. We addressed it in FA, now is time for the coaching to improve the unit and we'll start to see some wins.

I'm seeing people suggesting we bench Mixon, that Burrow is done.. I really didn't expect this level of hysteria, but here we are. My advice is to just sit back and watch. This (extremely young) team should improve a lot this year. I'm excited to see progress as the season goes on.

Agree with your last paragraph.

The rest...I don't know. When you make the SB and add 3 upgrades on the offensive line which was your weakness...expectations are sky high.

The offense is absolutely loaded at the skill positions.

As far as the issues...it's more than just the line. It's playcalling. Scheme. Burrow trying to hit a HR every time. A bunch of things.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 10:36 AM)kalibengal Wrote: so what is sentiment after Jets sack hm 6 more times and  Flacco kicks ass on Sunday? Im sorry for Debbie downer but I see no glimmer of anything changing anytome soon at least. Other "good" teams still are winning and winning BIG...other teams adjust and they have a plan on how to execute with whats being thrown at them. Im tired of the lethargic 1st halves and hoping for them to wake up later  

0-3 would be pretty bleak with the Dolphins coming on a short week.

Now, beat the Jets and 1-2...things aren't so bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This run game is very concerning, especially because of the issues they're having with Cover 2 in the pass game. The quickest and most reliable way to get teams out of 2 high looks is to have a consistent and effective running game. Unfortunately, they've only had limited spurts of any real success running the ball in these 1st 2 games - and much of the blame has to be placed on the coaches, from extremely predictable play calling to schematic failures that aren't well-suited to the players abilities. 

If they can't find a way to start running effectively and making teams pay for light boxes...the passing game is going to have a tough time finding it's mojo.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 08:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This run game is very concerning, especially because of the issues they're having with Cover 2 in the pass game. The quickest and most reliable way to gets teams out of 2 high looks is to have a consistent and effective running game. Unfortunately, they've only had limited spurts of any real success running the ball in these 1st 2 games - and much of the blame has to be placed on the coaches, from extremely predictable play calling to schematic failures that aren't well-suited to the players abilities. 

If they can't find a way to start running effectively and making teams pay for light boxes...the passing game is going to have a tough time finding it's mojo.

When is the last time this team started a season good offensively. It's been many years...

Same with the run game. Seems like they start bad then fix it after the bye.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:59 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They should just open the game in two minute offense - empty backfield.

1they tried that  1st game they went empty early
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote