Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL TV map-week 15
(12-14-2022, 06:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I like Romo as a broadcaster. He seems to be one of the few that actually knows what he is talking about.

Agreed. Never liked him as a player but he is about the best broadcaster out there besides Charles Davis IMO.

But Romo gives you the QB perspective on how they see the Defense and what way they are lined up.

I find it interesting when he calls our games. Happy I get to see this one live unlike the last game.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 02:39 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I'm probably one of only a few people who turns down the sound on the tv and listens to Dan and Lap on the radio. They're about 10 seconds ahead of the tv so I know what's going to happen before I see it but it's kind of fun, especially if it's a positive play. Been doing that for years.

For many years I've been listening Dan and Lap's call on the radio at the games.  They were always six or ten seconds behind - not bad.  Lately they're delayed a full play or more.  It's really annoying.   
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 07:30 PM)Roland Wrote: For many years I've been listening Dan and Lap's call on the radio at the games.  They were always six or ten seconds behind - not bad.  Lately they're delayed a full play or more.  It's really annoying.   

Streaming makes the delays even worse.  It is a couple of seconds between the radio and tv when watching on an antenna.  Its about 10-15 seconds off when watching cable.  But, when I use Hulu live the difference is often more than a minute.  It was similar when I used youtube tv.  

Now I almost always watch on antenna because the lag times drive me nuts (which isnt a far trip!)

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I usually pause whatever game is ahead of the other and then hit play when they sync up. It's easiest to do just a second after the whistle at the end of a play on the "live" broadcast.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only person who tunes out the national broadcasts and listens to Dan and Lap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 08:26 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only person who tunes out the national broadcasts and listens to Dan and Lap.

You get more info about the team in-game when you listen to them.  They keep an eye on the field and tell you who's going into/coming out of the tent, who's talking to whom and such.  And after him doing games for 30-some years, I can't imagine watching a Bengals game on tv without hearing Lap on the stereo.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 07:52 PM)pally Wrote: Streaming makes the delays even worse.  It is a couple of seconds between the radio and tv when watching on an antenna.  Its about 10-15 seconds off when watching cable.  But, when I use Hulu live the difference is often more than a minute.  It was similar when I used youtube tv.  

Now I almost always watch on antenna because the lag times drive me nuts (which isnt a far trip!)

I love having Amazon Prime, I can just pause the game before hand and have no spoilers and the game goes through smooth.

Lol on the last part Pally! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Now you know how us streamers feel when we stream the game and chat on Discord except instead of 10 seconds, we get like a 2 minute preview of things to come. lol

Got my first taste of this... this past Sunday.  I "kinda" like it when something good happens!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 07:52 PM)pally Wrote: Streaming makes the delays even worse.  It is a couple of seconds between the radio and tv when watching on an antenna.  Its about 10-15 seconds off when watching cable.  But, when I use Hulu live the difference is often more than a minute.  It was similar when I used youtube tv.  

True. And while I'm streaming, I will sometimes go to ESPN to check on the scores of other games and inadvertently see the ball changed possession in the Bengals game. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 06:40 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Got my first taste of this... this past Sunday.  I "kinda" like it when something good happens!

It is the end of the world when something bad happens though lol
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is the end of the world when something bad happens though lol

That's how we Bengals fans roll. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 08:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: You get more info about the team in-game when you listen to them.  They keep an eye on the field and tell you who's going into/coming out of the tent, who's talking to whom and such.  And after him doing games for 30-some years, I can't imagine watching a Bengals game on tv without hearing Lap on the stereo.  

While I do like that aspect of the local broadcast, Dave Lapham is very irritating to listen to if you're not watching the game. My problem with Lapham is he yells over the play by play on almost every single play. Yeah, I get it. He's a fan. Shut the hell up. Let the man do his job, THEN do yours. That's how 99.9999% of every two man broadcast booth works.

Here's a sample of way back when I checked out listening to streams of pre-season games before NFL Network existed and showed every pre-season game.

Play By Play: "Crucial 3rd down and seven to go for the Bengals. Kitna takes the snap, drops back, steps up into the pocket, gets hit as he throws the ba . . ."
Lapham: "AW GEEEEZ!! AWWW GEEEEZ!!! AWWW GEEEEEZ!!!"

. . . as the PBP announcer is now trying to yell over Lapham, I'm often left going "WTF just happened? Was it intercepted? Did our guy drop the ball? Was a wide open big play thwarted by a batted down pass? Did they just miss a 1st down because the WR had to come back to get the ball?"

And now that I know it, I can't unhear it. As a person that has worked in broadcasting off and on for over 30 years, I've never seen any other color guy get away with that and still keep his job. I'll just classify him as "unique at his craft" and leave it at that.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 08:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: While I do like that aspect of the local broadcast, Dave Lapham is very irritating to listen to if you're not watching the game. My problem with Lapham is he yells over the play by play on almost every single play. Yeah, I get it. He's a fan. Shut the hell up. Let the man do his job, THEN do yours. That's how 99.9999% of every two man broadcast booth works.

Here's a sample of way back when I checked out listening to streams of pre-season games before NFL Network existed and showed every pre-season game.

Play By Play: "Crucial 3rd down and seven to go for the Bengals. Kitna takes the snap, drops back, steps up into the pocket, gets hit as he throws the ba . . ."
Lapham: "AW GEEEEZ!! AWWW GEEEEZ!!! AWWW GEEEEEZ!!!"

. . . as the PBP announcer is now trying to yell over Lapham, I'm often left going "WTF just happened? Was it intercepted? Did our guy drop the ball? Was a wide open big play thwarted by a batted down pass? Did they just miss a 1st down because the WR had to come back to get the ball?"

And now that I know it, I can't unhear it. As a person that has worked in broadcasting off and on for over 30 years, I've never seen any other color guy get away with that and still keep his job. I'll just classify him as "unique at his craft" and leave it at that.

Well, if the play involved Kitna then nothing important was happening anyway  Mellow

But, I get where you're coming from.  I was never a fan of St. John of Madden, but JHC, mention that back in the day and the villagers were after you with the torches and pitchforks.  I don't know, the guy just rubbed me the wrong way, and I found him annoying as hell.  But it supposedly was some some sort of fault in me that I didn't "get" him.  People like to do that a lot, and not just with sports but comedians, bands, all manner of things, so I'll not do the same to you.  We all need to find what we like and avoid the rest.  
Reply/Quote
I referenced Kitna because that's where I was when Pre-Season games were no longer left to strictly listening to streams. Once I got actual full replays, I stopped listening because I didn't need them anymore. If you're a local and can sync them up, then Lapham's antics aren't irritating. You can see why he's excited. Audio only, he's a major downgrade.

It would be impossible for me to listen to both now since I watch most games on NFLPlus replays and they cut out the commercials. I'd have to keep pausing to keep them in sync if the audio is still even available. Is there a replay of the audio stream available?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 09:33 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I referenced Kitna because that's where I was when Pre-Season games were no longer left to strictly listening to streams. Once I got actual full replays, I stopped listening because I didn't need them anymore. If you're a local and can sync them up, then Lapham's antics aren't irritating. You can see why he's excited. Audio only, he's a major downgrade.

It would be impossible for me to listen to both now since I watch most games on NFLPlus replays and they cut out the commercials. I'd have to keep pausing to keep them in sync if the audio is still even available. Is there a replay of the audio stream available?

I said something to that effect up thread, though I gave up on synching them up some time ago.  I have about a 12-15 second delay on the stero compared to the tv, so when a crazy play unfolds, be it good or bad, it's fun to listen to him go from zero to sixty.   
Reply/Quote
Would rather see the Lions vs Jets, or the KC game over the steelers vs Panthers in the early game in Louisville.

But as long as they keep showing the Bengals I'm not going to complain.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 02:39 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I'm probably one of only a few people who turns down the sound on the tv and listens to Dan and Lap on the radio. They're about 10 seconds ahead of the tv so I know what's going to happen before I see it but it's kind of fun, especially if it's a positive play. Been doing that for years.

Might be able to blame the Janet Jackson SB halftime show for that delay these days. 

Back in the day the radio was only a split second faster. All the UK fans thought Caywood Ledford was magic when he would announce "string music" just barely before Kyle Macy's shot would barely touch the net. Almost 100% of the Cat fans listened to the radio while watching UK basketball on TV back then

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 10:26 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I said something to that effect up thread, though I gave up on synching them up some time ago.  I have about a 12-15 second delay on the stereo compared to the tv, so when a crazy play unfolds, be it good or bad, it's fun to listen to him go from zero to sixty.   

I like his podcast. I wouldn't bother if it was anything personal against him, I just got irritated years ago and I laugh every time I hear their broadcast layered over the highlights. If it's a good play . . . "Mixon takes the handoff and . . . " - "YEAH, BABY!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!!" LOL
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 10:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Might be able to blame the Janet Jackson SB halftime show for that delay these days. 

Back in the day the radio was only a split second faster. All the UK fans thought Caywood Ledford was magic when he would announce "string music" just barely before Kyle Macy's shot would barely touch the net. Almost 100% of the Cat fans listened to the radio while watching UK basketball on TV back then
I was one of them.
Reply/Quote