Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL Teams That Should Completely Rebuild This Offseason
(02-18-2019, 10:20 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: What is suggested in this OP's thread is possibly true.  Bengals may be in the hunt for Murray.  I can see the fan base already in panic over the lack of the DC and after the upcoming draft running for the hills!   Freakout

Mike Brown probably told Zac, "don't worry about the DC so much, Marvin will coming if necessary, i've got that covered for you."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 10:20 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: What is suggested in this OP's thread is possibly true.  Bengals may be in the hunt for Murray.  I can see the fan base already in panic over the lack of the DC and after the upcoming draft running for the hills!   Freakout

Oh God no! That would put us in a 5 year losing pattern and bring back the 90s. That would be a panic pick through and through.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 07:34 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Cincinnati Bengals
2 OF 6

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Why they need to rebuild

Veteran quarterback Andy Dalton has regressed on paper and empirically the last couple of seasons, and it's become apparent that both Dalton, 31, and top wide receiver A.J. Green, 30, won't carry the Cincinnati Bengals to a Super Bowl. The team can save $28.4 million by parting ways with those two post-prime key players right now, and the timing would be perfect as rookie head coach Zac Taylor takes over.

Taylor has endorsed Dalton, but that's the politically correct thing to do. The reality is he and his team would be better off cutting bait and drafting/grooming a higher-upside quarterback who best suits what Taylor wants to do. It's not as though this team is on the brink of contending. The Bengals had the league's lowest-ranked defense last year; even with a healthy Dalton and Green, they're clearly the worst team in the AFC North.

How they can start rebuilding

1. Cut and/or trade Dalton and Green: They'd suddenly have more salary-cap space than every team in football except the Indianapolis Colts and New York Jets.

2. Use those savings to support the quarterback of the future: Upgrade that horrendous offensive line with two new guards and a new right tackle in free agency, bring in a good safety-valve receiver on whom Dalton's replacement can depend, and spruce up the defensive front seven.

3. Draft a quarterback in Round 1: The Bengals should then join the Dolphins and New York Giants (and possibly the Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins) in sweepstakes for Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones. We won't recommend one over the other at pick No. 11 because they're all playing craps.

What'll need to wait

Just like Miami, Cincinnati will have to wait for its young, still-unknown quarterback to develop while potentially encountering growing pains with a first-year head coach. That defense can't be fixed overnight, either, and Cordy Glenn's $9.3 million cap hit should probably remain on the books for said quarterback's sake—even if the veteran left tackle is overpaid and unlikely to be part of the next era of Bengals football.

The same thing applies to Geno Atkins, who is 30 but is too much of a force and would be too costly to release with a $10.4 million dead-cap number.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820958-nfl-teams-that-should-completely-rebuild-this-offseason?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide2

Thoughts?

One of the most popular click-baits around the NFL and, sadly, in our own town, is to crap on Dalton.  Rarely is Green included in that shit storm like this article, but dumping on Dalton is as old as making fun of Mike Brown for being cheap.  

Dalton is a surgeon with the slightest bit of protection.  If he isn't behind one of the worst lines in the game, he is behind an average line at best.  He has had a running game for roughly two of his 9 seasons, and his complementary weapons to Green have had a problem staying healthy.  The one season he had Sanu and Marvin Jones with AJ Green, he was an MVP candidate.  

Getting rid of one of the best values in the NFL isn't how to make this team a winner.  Fixing the defense, starting at LB and DT, is a key component.  Having a more creative and aggressive offense is another.  Getting a quality RT would go a long way in the passing game, but he was an upgrade in the rushing attack.

The biggest anchor was Marvin and his stubborn desire to play old-school football and he was made to look a fool by the more progressive offensive minds of today.  Now that we have a younger, more creative, and hopefully, more aggressive mindset, a couple key FA acquisitions and a strong draft and these morons will owe Dalton a written apology.

I wonder if these pinheads even watched him come back against the Falcons.  Ditto the steelers...too bad the defense couldn't hold it.  And he destroyed the Ravens in Prime time.  

But the defense was pathetic and the offense was banged up.  Depth, talent, better coaching and they will be a contender again. 
Reply/Quote
What high school newspaper in Pittsburgh is the writer from? Cover girls field hockey because NFL football is just not you.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 07:52 PM)McC Wrote: Hell no. Just hell no. The guy is a fool.

This, that Robbins guy is clueless. Some stupid shit coming out of that guy's mouth.

He is just saying go be the old Browns. To say trading away our solid QB and arguably our best WR of all time would be a good move in their prime is one of the most idiotic things i have heard in awhile. Dalton has lots of years in him and AJ has atleast 2 or 3 before he starts to fall off.
Reply/Quote
it will take two drafts to correct the personnel issues on this Team.

Throw in a two to three FA agents, and the retooling is complete.

This guy's opinion is just that. Everybody has one. Garbage, but nonetheless an opinion.
Reply/Quote
No clue why people in Cincinnati think getting rid of their best players for "prospects" is a good way to "rebuild."

I wonder if this writer is a reds fan.
Reply/Quote
Cutting cornerstones might could work for a team that players want to play for but cutting a franchise WR like Green and a very good QB in Dalton for tens of millions of dollars in cap space for big time players that won't come here is asinine.

Also for the shitty teams that bring in big players with huge contracts, that as far as I know has never worked out for any of them.
Reply/Quote
Is this first move the first step in doing a rebuild? Could be. My first move would have been to cut Walton for the absolute zero he was 0on the field and the absolute idiot he is being off it.

I'll be following Ian Rapoport on Twitter to find out cuz he'll be announcing every move before it happens.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Let's be honest guys. Change for sake of change is foolish. Change with a solid plan is good.

Example: Bengals clean house by removing Marvin and his coaches.

Bad: Replace Marvin with a staff that is inexperienced at every level including Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator down to the D line.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:11 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Let's be honest guys. Change for sake of change is foolish. Change with a solid plan is good.

Example: Bengals clean house by removing Marvin and his coaches.

Bad: Replace Marvin with a staff that is inexperienced at every level including Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator down to the D line.

Marvin had experience up the wazoo and it got him three straight lasing seasons, ofer in the playoffs and being Pittsburgh's personal hand maiden.

And btw, in the beginning, when he first got here and turned everything around, he had no experience as a HC.  Pick a side of your mouth to talk out of and stick with it, please.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote