Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL admits it got flag wrong that negated A.J. Green TD
Chris Roling / BengalsWire
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/06/nfl-admits-flag-error-negated-aj-green-td-falcons/

The NFL avoided disaster during the Cincinnati Bengals’ win over the Atlanta Falcons in Week 4.

In the fourth quarter, Andy Dalton tossed a touchdown to A.J. Green that got called back due to a flag on right tackle Bobby Hart.

Fast forward to this week, the NFL admits it got the call wrong (3:15 mark):

Officials called illegial use of hands by Hart, whereas the video says it wasn’t intentional and should not have drawn a flag.

The NFL gets an all-time lucky break here — the Bengals ended up winning the game anyway. Had they not, this would be a much, much bigger part of the national conversation right now.
Reply/Quote
It was a BS call !

That head ref with the white hat was trigger happy the whole game. I think they said he was a fairly new ref as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really easy to admit they're wrong when the team in question wins anyway. It's when they lose as a result of bad calls that the league likes to pretend it wasn't their fault and made the right call.. How many times have we seen BS calls never admitted to when the penalized team loses? Plenty...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 09:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: Really easy to admit they're wrong when the team in question wins anyway. It's when they lose as a result of bad calls that the league likes to pretend it wasn't their fault and made the right call.. How many times have we seen BS calls never admitted to when the penalized team loses? Plenty...

What he said ^^^
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 09:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: Really easy to admit they're wrong when the team in question wins anyway. It's when they lose as a result of bad calls that the league likes to pretend it wasn't their fault and made the right call.. How many times have we seen BS calls never admitted to when the penalized team loses? Plenty...

Well they did admit they missed the call that would have given Cleveland the win. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If they had given green that TD, it would have left too much time for the falcons to come back down the field needing only a FG to win. I am glad we had to keep going on that drive and left them only 7 seconds. Hell, we were lucky time ran out when Jones caught that hail mary. Imagine if they had had time to call time out or spike it...chip shot FG and we lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 10:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: If they had given green that TD, it would have left too much time for the falcons to come back down the field needing only a FG to win. I am glad we had to keep going on that drive and left them only 7 seconds. Hell, we were lucky time ran out when Jones caught that hail mary. Imagine if they had had time to call time out or spike it...chip shot FG and we lose.

That was a different drive. They took the touchdown back on the drive that ended with a field goal with 8:19 left to go. It would have put us up 35-33 instead of down 31-33. They got a field goal and we could have won on a field goal. Instead we had to get that touchdown which we only really got because the Cornerback inexplicably ran to stop the RB coming out of the backfield when we had 7 seconds and no timeouts remaining (tackling the RB inbounds ends the game).
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well they did admit they missed the call that would have given Cleveland the win. 

This. They admitted to getting the one wrong which was one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life. They also indicated the 1st down being changed to a 4th and inches was crap but didn't actually say it was a wrong call. Cleveland got hosed bad. Both of those calls would have won the game for Cleveland  
Reply/Quote

Exactly.  They are full of it.  Had Atlanta won the game you would've heard nothing, and if pressed would have said they got the call right.

Way to sniff them out grampahol!
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 09:27 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Way to sniff them out grampahol!

The NFL is not allowed on his lawn.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 06:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Chris Roling / BengalsWire
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/06/nfl-admits-flag-error-negated-aj-green-td-falcons/

The NFL avoided disaster during the Cincinnati Bengals’ win over the Atlanta Falcons in Week 4.

In the fourth quarter, Andy Dalton tossed a touchdown to A.J. Green that got called back due to a flag on right tackle Bobby Hart.

Fast forward to this week, the NFL admits it got the call wrong (3:15 mark):

Officials called illegial use of hands by Hart, whereas the video says it wasn’t intentional and should not have drawn a flag.

The NFL gets an all-time lucky break here — the Bengals ended up winning the game anyway. Had they not, this would be a much, much bigger part of the national conversation right now.

Hmmm.  I guess I was not so tin foil hat after all....
Reply/Quote
Man, refs are a serious problem right now. Yet again we are at another year of bad calls/missed calls at important parts of games.

They missed a CLEAR delay of game against the Chiefs in a big moment. Mesmerized by the game instead of focusing on their jobs. Missed like 3 calls in last week's OAK-CLE game. And the ridiculous calls on Clay Matthews the first few weeks.

Really disappointing to see how they've performed so far.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 06:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The NFL gets an all-time lucky break here — the Bengals ended up winning the game anyway. Had they not, this would be a much, much bigger part of the national conversation right now.

Agree with the OP up to this point.  Had it cost the Pats, Jets or Cowboys a game, it would have been a national tragedy and the sole conversation on NFL Radio and the NFL Network for days.  With us, there would have been a giant, collective shrug and then onto the next dumbass thing Odell Beckham did.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
The NFL game is just impossible to officiate. The speed, the violence, the congestion, the rule book. It just can't be done at a high level.

I think you need another official on each crew, a guy who sits in the booth and has the power to call BS on any call. Of course, with the volume of calls, this could make for a five hour game. But the guys on the field are just not getting it done and there has to be some kind of a fix.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 10:34 AM)McC Wrote: The NFL game is just impossible to officiate.  The speed, the violence, the congestion, the rule book.  It just can't be done at a high level.

I think you need another official on each crew, a guy who sits in the booth and has the power to call BS on any call.   Of course, with the volume of calls, this could make for a five hour game.   But the guys on the field are just not getting it done and there has to be some kind of a fix.

One of the ways would be less rules. They've expanded the rule book exponentially over the last 10 or 12 years. Sit down and completely redo the entire rule book.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's impossible to call.

I DO think that the refs get too caught up in watching these freak athletes play football, that they lose track of the job. They want to see the amazing things happen, and can lose focus.

To me it's that simple. Sure they could use another guy with the power to tell them to pick up any flag, or whatever. But some of these calls are ridiculous. If you got it wrong, just admit it and pick up the freaking flag.
Reply/Quote
Crazy idea: start penalizing the refs for sucking at their jobs. Happens everywhere else in the world. Do a shitty job, face discipline and/or termination. At the very least you'll put the fear of God in these incompetent clowns... Give them some incentive to actually try and do their jobs properly Whatever
Reply/Quote
The refs need to be off the field, save one. With technology today, they should be able to watch from a monitor and when there's a penalty, simply call it out (through a headset of course) to the official on the field to throw a flag. You have announcers, production crew and many others with a much better vantage point, yet you keep older, slower officials with a bad angle on the field to mess up way too much. 

EDIT: Well, one wouldn't be enough. Spotting the ball and out of bounds plays. You could get by with 3 or 4, but there should still be officials watching monitors for penalties.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Did they also admit they got Tony McRae's blocked kick offsides call wrong? Lmao.
Reply/Quote